Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Issues with Blue Bullets 200 SWC

RFI: Issues with Blue Bullets 200 SWC

So I’ve been loading 200 grain SWCs for some time with 5.6 grains of HP-38 seared to an OAL of 1.250”. Typically using bullets from Brazos (H&G 68).

I recently loaded up a large batch of ammo, only change being I started using Blue Bullet’s SWC. Nothing else was changed. All cartridges passed the case gauge and go through a Lee FCD as a last step.

Im getting a lot of FTF now which was never an issue when using bullets from Brazos. Again I haven’t changed the OAL or anything else. I’m assuming OAL is the issue but I tried 1.230” and was getting issues just dry cycling. In about 75% of the stoppages are cured with a “tap”, the other 25% require a “rack” ejecting the problem round. I’ll also add 10 round mags exacerbated the issue and won’t even feed the top round.

Any thoughts from the crowd here? I posted elsewhere but didn’t get a lot of help.

Picture of the failures I’m getting.

Name:  59426F65-19B0-4373-8E3F-176B97CE2023.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  33.5 KB
    Name:  2523CCB4-1FED-4442-9289-6B906A79C005.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  21.4 KB
    Name:  8D16DA3C-64B7-4D05-A139-61402FBB8DAD.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  39.8 KB

I'm new at loading SWC, but I read on the Bullseye forum a post by Jon Eulette (well-known bullseye shooter and bullseye pistol builder) that the shoulder of the SWC bullet should be 0.920" from the base of the cartridge for best feeding. Several others there said the same thing, it's not the OAL but the distance from the shoulder to the bottom of the case. Hopefully that'll help you.

In your last picture it looks like the shoulder of the Blue bullet sits further out in the case vs the other bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    I'm new at loading SWC, but I read on the Bullseye forum a post by Jon Eulette (well-known bullseye shooter and bullseye pistol builder) that the shoulder of the SWC bullet should be 0.920" from the base of the cartridge for best feeding. Several others there said the same thing, it's not the OAL but the distance from the shoulder to the bottom of the case. Hopefully that'll help you.

In your last picture it looks like the shoulder of the Blue bullet sits further out in the case vs the other bullet.
    They're definitely two different profiles. The Blue Bullet may have a different angle to the nose, and that could explain the additional length if the seating die wasn't set to the new bullet.

Just an observation. I could be mistaken.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Is the diameter of the loaded case mouth the same in both rounds? I agree that it looks like there are some slight differences between the bullets.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Good thoughts I will take a look again tomorrow and provide some measurements.

I do recall when I switched over I had to turn in my seating die a bit to get the OAL to 1.250”. I’ve got 50 loaded at 1.235” I’m hoping to shoot after work one night this week and see where that gets me.

How many rounds does your recoil spring have on it? I can't tell from the picture but my WC Colt has a SWC ramp cut into the throat and it's all I load for it - feeds ball just fine too tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Is the diameter of the loaded case mouth the same in both rounds? I agree that it looks like there are some slight differences between the bullets.
    I measure .467-.468” on both at the crimp

That’s great know, both of these measured longer the BB in the .925 range (1.235 OAL), the Brazo about the same (1.250 OAL). So I’m hoping these shorter ones I have loaded run.
    Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    They're definitely two different profiles. The Blue Bullet may have a different angle to the nose, and that could explain the additional length if the seating die wasn't set to the new bullet.

Just an observation. I could be mistaken.
    It’s tough to tell because the color (light vs. dark) throws off my visual perception of the bullet but it does look like the cone of the BB is narrower and taller.Name:  A99DA39F-FD4B-45B2-B0BC-7CD731FDAE4F.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  26.2 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by rm06 View Post
    How many rounds does your recoil spring have on it? I can't tell from the picture but my WC Colt has a SWC ramp cut into the throat and it's all I load for it - feeds ball just fine too tho.
    Less than 3k and it’s an 18.5# in this gun so plenty stout, I usually run a 16# and have not had issues before. But my smith used an 18.5# so I’m running it until I replace it. The barrel is a factory Colt that’s been throated.

Site Supporter
    I suggest decreasing the overall length slightly. That often works when tweaking swc 45 Auto reloads. The overall length number is nominal and not written in stone meaning you can vary it marginally to facilitate feeding.

I haven't heard that one before. I'll have to experiment with it the next time I load H&G 68s. I've been using the old "thickness of a thumb nail" spec for the amount of shoulder above the crimp. I don't suppose you have a link to that thread do you? Was that on the "Bullseye L" board?
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I suggest decreasing the overall length slightly. That often works when tweaking swc 45 Auto reloads. The overall length number is nominal and not written in stone meaning you can vary it marginally to facilitate feeding.
    I hand cycled some of the “shorties” through a 10 round mag and while a little clunky they seemed to cycle fine, previously from slide lock the top round would nosedive and not feed. So I’m hopeful, I also noticed the “tap” I mentioned helped feed rounds was because it bumped the mag up just hair higher and then the round would feed. So I may get an EGW mag release to see if that helps (they hold the mag higher than a stock Colt release).

User Tag List