Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benelli Nova vs Super Nova

Benelli Nova vs Super Nova

I have been researching HD shotguns and have narrowed it down to two (or 3) and would like to hear from those who have experience with these guns.

I am only interested in the traditional style stock models with aperture sight. BTW, the third is the Winchester SXP Defender as it has some features I like that are not on the Benelli but durability/reliability are unknowns to me. I suspect they might not be as well built.

Here is what I've found:

Super Nova

- Better recoil pad/stock with possible LOP options
    - Tapped receiver
    - Enlarged trigger guard

Nova

- Lower price
    - Essentially the same gun but with no stock options I'm aware of...can the recoil pad even be replaced?
    - No tapped receiver

Cons for Both

- No capability to accept choke tubes
    - Extra barrels are expensive
    - Limited magazine capacity...are there reliable extensions for these guns?

Thanks

PS: The Benelli web site is pretty lame...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    I have been researching HD shotguns and have narrowed it down to two (or 3) and would like to hear from those who have experience with these guns.

I am only interested in the traditional style stock models with aperture sight. BTW, the third is the Winchester SXP Defender as it has some features I like that are not on the Benelli but durability/reliability are unknowns to me. I suspect they might not be as well built.

Here is what I've found:

Super Nova

- Better recoil pad/stock with possible LOP options
    - Tapped receiver
    - Enlarged trigger guard

Nova

- Lower price
    - Essentially the same gun but with no stock options I'm aware of...can the recoil pad even be replaced?
    - No tapped receiver

Cons for Both

- No capability to accept choke tubes
    - Extra barrels are expensive
    - Limited magazine capacity...are there reliable extensions for these guns?

Thanks

PS: The Benelli web site is pretty lame...
    I've had the Tactical model of both...bought the Nova first, thought I wanted all the extra features of the SN, found out I didn't need the extras, and swapped the SN to my buddy back for the Nova I sold him.

I mounted the factory Benelli extension to both...no issues worked 100%.

The Benelli accessory gel recoil pads will fit the both the standard stock on the Nova and the ComforTech stock on the SN, but not the SN pistol grip stock.

Both of mine were as accurate as my centerfire carbines out to 100 yds. with Federal slugs...at 50 yds. they'd both print one ragged hole. I eventually sold the Nova again, just because I've got half a dozen 18" defense shotguns and it was collecting dust in the safe. I'll talk myself into picking another one up again at some point.

I also owned a recent Winchester SXP (bought it for my son for Christmas a couple of years ago). It was better made than the other Turkish shotguns I've handled, but I wouldn't consider it an alternative to the Benelli.

Quote Originally Posted by kwb377 View Post
    I've had the Tactical model of both...bought the Nova first, thought I wanted all the extra features of the SN, found out I didn't need the extras, and swapped the SN to my buddy back for the Nova I sold him.

I mounted the factory Benelli extension to both...no issues worked 100%.

The Benelli accessory gel recoil pads will fit the both the standard stock on the Nova and the ComforTech stock on the SN, but not the SN pistol grip stock.

Both of mine were as accurate as my centerfire carbines out to 100 yds. with Federal slugs...at 50 yds. they'd both print one ragged hole. I eventually sold the Nova again, just because I've got half a dozen 18" defense shotguns and it was collecting dust in the safe. I'll talk myself into picking another one up again at some point.
    Thanks,

What's your take on the longer LOP of the factory stocks?

Site Supporter
    Thanks,

What's your take on the longer LOP of the factory stocks?
    They were stupid long for a "tactical" gun...especially the factory pistol grip stock. The Benelli gel recoil pad I went with was 1/2" shorter than the original, so it helped a little. If you really need to shorten the LOP, you'll have to go with the SN and put a Mesa Urbino stock on it. I did that for a while too, but then remembered why I hate PG stocks on shotguns.

Quote Originally Posted by kwb377 View Post
    They were stupid long for a "tactical" gun...especially the factory pistol grip stock. The Benelli gel recoil pad I went with was 1/2" shorter than the original, so it helped a little. If you really need to shorten the LOP, you'll have to go with the SN and put a Mesa Urbino stock on it. I did that for a while too, but then remembered why I hate PG stocks on shotguns.
    I'll see what I think. I saw a post in one of the threads here where a guy recommended changing out with a M2 compact stock.

I like that the Winchester has choke options, a little more capacity, can easily take shotgun shell cards and the receiver is tapped(I think).

I have a Super Nova, and I really liked. Groups my Lyman reload slugs like a rifle, and Federal FC buck patterns incredibly tight. I like choke tubes like women like shoes, but I don't miss them in the SN. Added a Nordic tube to mine. The stock doesn't bother me at all, but my upper body is stolen from a more primitive primate with long arms.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I have a Super Nova, and I really liked. Groups my Lyman reload slugs like a rifle, and Federal FC buck patterns incredibly tight. I like choke tubes like women like shoes, but I don't miss them in the SN. Added a Nordic tube to mine. The stock doesn't bother me at all, but my upper body is stolen from a more primitive primate with long arms.
    Tanks. Would you recommend that over the basic Nova?

Tanks. Would you recommend that over the basic Nova?
    My other Nova is a 20ga field gun, so I really can't say. I bought the SN primarily because it is drilled and tapped, and I wanted to be able to scope it for slug shooting (which I have yet to do). I forgot to mention that I like the 3.5" loading port for 2 3/4" shells. 3.5" shells in a SN are not cool.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    @Hambo 3.5 inch 12 ga shells are the most brutal "anything" I ever fired, and that includes a 458 Win Magnum. I was shooting these Roman candles in an 870. The elephant gun was heavier and properly stocked. The big rifle would give me a headache because it shook my brain around in my skull. The 3.5 12 gauge fired in an 870 hurt terribly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    My other Nova is a 20ga field gun, so I really can't say. I bought the SN primarily because it is drilled and tapped, and I wanted to be able to scope it for slug shooting (which I have yet to do). I forgot to mention that I like the 3.5" loading port for 2 3/4" shells. 3.5" shells in a SN are not cool.

Well... just picked the beast up this morning. It looks like a shotgun with armor plate! Also found out that Carlson's sells extra barrels for it at a reasonable price on Midway.

User Tag List