Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Benelli Nova vs Super Nova

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    @Hambo 3.5 inch 12 ga shells are the most brutal "anything" I ever fired
    They're better in a semiauto, even a Benelli SBE. In a pump, they're just horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Well... just picked the beast up this morning. It looks like a shotgun with armor plate! Also found out that Carlson's sells extra barrels for it at a reasonable price on Midway.
    Midwest Gun Works usually has factory Benelli barrels. I bought a field barrel because you might as well have the set. Right?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    They're better in a semiauto, even a Benelli SBE. In a pump, they're just horrible.

Midwest Gun Works usually has factory Benelli barrels. I bought a field barrel because you might as well have the set. Right?
    Of course! Versatility is a major strength of the shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    I'll see what I think. I saw a post in one of the threads here where a guy recommended changing out with a M2 compact stock.

I like that the Winchester has choke options, a little more capacity, can easily take shotgun shell cards and the receiver is tapped(I think).
    I did that. I have a Benelli Comfortech Youth stock on mine. What is crazy is that I paid about $450 on sale for the shotgun, and the same amount for the stock at MGW.

The 3.5" Number 1 buck is pretty exciting. To quote a friend, it's quite the Hotel Claymore. If you imagine 54 copper-plated pellets rocketing down a hallway at 1600 feet per second...... And with this particular shotgun, I'm not worried about having chokes. Mr Gelhaus and I were talking about spread and patterns the other night. There may be a time when spread is your friend, rather than your enemy. Just food for thought.

A interesting feature on the SuperNova is the magazine cut-off button located on the slide. With a fair bit of practice, it's the fastest thing I have ever seen at a select slug drill. I would, however, encourage you to practice A LOT with dummy rounds before you do this with a round of buck and a slug.

And a shotgun card is not an issue, the receiver has enough real estate to take some industrial Velcro. Combine it with the Vang Comp ammo cards, and yer in bidness.

Hope that helps. Ping me if you want more data.

Now you guys got me interested in picking up one of these…

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I did that. I have a Benelli Comfortech Youth stock on mine. What is crazy is that I paid about $450 on sale for the shotgun, and the same amount for the stock at MGW.

The 3.5" Number 1 buck is pretty exciting. To quote a friend, it's quite the Hotel Claymore. If you imagine 54 copper-plated pellets rocketing down a hallway at 1600 feet per second...... And with this particular shotgun, I'm not worried about having chokes. Mr Gelhaus and I were talking about spread and patterns the other night. There may be a time when spread is your friend, rather than your enemy. Just food for thought.

A interesting feature on the SuperNova is the magazine cut-off button located on the slide. With a fair bit of practice, it's the fastest thing I have ever seen at a select slug drill. I would, however, encourage you to practice A LOT with dummy rounds before you do this with a round of buck and a slug.

And a shotgun card is not an issue, the receiver has enough real estate to take some industrial Velcro. Combine it with the Vang Comp ammo cards, and yer in bidness.

Hope that helps. Ping me if you want more data.
    Thanks for the info.. I have a Esstac card on my hunting semi-auto...so would I have to do a bit if trimming on the velcro. Where do you have yours located?

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    The 3.5" Number 1 buck is pretty exciting. To quote a friend, it's quite the Hotel Claymore. If you imagine 54 copper-plated pellets rocketing down a hallway at 1600 feet per second......
    I was playing around with 3.5" buckshot with the idea of hunting, but you've expanded my horizons...

I just put a HPG buttstock cuff on mine and called it good. The mag cut off button does require a lot of practice. I'm not that big on select slug drills, but "select claymore" has a nice ring to it.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Finally got it to the range yesterday...what a blast to shoot! I've never fired a slug in my life and it's been 20 years or so since 00 buck in military 870's with no recoil pad.

My impressions:

IMO, the supernova looks clunky and bulky...it certainly didn't handle that way though. It came up and settled into firing position smoothly with the ghost ring sight stopping right in line with my eye. The forend, while initially feeling very long, was smooth and sure with no short stroking on my part. The comfort tech stock...surprisingly..seemed to work. I figured it was more gimmick than substance, but now I'm a believer. With 1 oz slugs, I really couldn't tell the difference vs 00 Buck.

00 Buck loads used were 2 3/4" Winchester Defender and Barnes Defense. I began shooting at 5 yds and backed up incrementally to 20 yds. At 5, I really couldn't tell much difference between loads as all were one big hole. At 20, the Barnes held tighter.

Being as high end 00 buck is hard to find reliably, I'll continue to pick up what I can, when I can to test out. I also grabbed some Fed Power Shok #4 Buck but haven't tried it yet. Looking forward to my next range trip though.

I'm considering replacing the factory ghost ring and front post with putting Meprolight night versions.

Anyone have opinions on these?

I also added the Hill People Gear Stock Cuff (thanks to Hambo). Very slim and light weight...seems well constructed too.

User Tag List