Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bullseye anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff22 View Post
    I have always preferred action shooting sports (IPSC/USPSA and IDPA) but every year around Halloween the local clubs should stop outdoor matches for the winter (I’m in Wisconsin) and my focus would shift to small bore bullseye pistol and our Winter League on Monday nights (although they shot on Monday nights all year long, the Winter League was more formal and even involved little trophy’s at the end)
    I started in IHMSA and moved into IPSC and Bullseye later on. I just like shooting every flippin game I can.

My area runs about the same schedule. October through March is indoor bullseye and Monday nights too!
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

My top speed is somewhere around brisk mosey right now, a shooting game where you can stand still sounds pretty good.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Nice shooting, P.E!

My local club started a bullseye match about 6 months ago and I've shot two matches thus far. It's been good practice for me as I'm NOT a bullseye shooter. Fortunately, they allow us to use both hands or SHO as we please. I'd say 2/3rds the shooters use both hands like me.
    We fire 90 rounds of .22LR and the 90 rounds of CF. In the two matches I've shot, I was in the half of the scores. While I struggle with iron sights due my vision, my favorite bullseye gun is the 6" Clark Custom Colt longslide in .45 ACP built in 1969.

Shot the local bullseye match today using my Ruger Ruger Mark II/Volquartsen complete 22/45 frame with a C-More 6 MOA dot and scored 820 with it. Shot a 780 IIRC with the above 6" Clark Custom Colt longslide in .45 ACP using a 185 gr JHP over 5.2 grs of W231.
    When the match was over I shot 7 test rounds of 200 gr Bear Creek moly SWCs over 4.2 grs of AA#2 to test for function as these are the first SWCs I've loaded in .45 ACP. I had one failure to eject due to, I believe, not enough powder in the round. I'll have to test for accuracy at different loads in the future. The AA#2 does not appear to burn as cleanly at that low of a charge as W231 does.
    Last edited by Exiledviking; 05-20-2023 at 05:17 PM.

Excellent shooting P.E.

Back in the late 90's-early 2000's, I shot bullseye with a 6" Smith model 14.
    Loads of fun!
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Excellent shooting P.E.

Back in the late 90's-early 2000's, I shot bullseye with a 6" Smith model 14.
    Loads of fun!
    Revolver B-Eye is a real challenge! Bravo!
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

My bullseye companion.

When I purchased it, police bullseye leagues were very popular in northern NJ. As the police mechanic for my town, I shot with the cops.
    We shot Federal nyclads by the thousands.
    If I recall correctly, most of the guys were having model 15's and 12's converted to bullseye guns, by a guy named Alex Piccart. I never did a thing to that 14, it shoots so well.

It was owned supposedly by a Georgia State Trooper before it came to me. Definitely a lifelong keeper.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Rimfire Bullseye was my original shooting competition. It is a ton of fun while also being the most frustrating. Hate when I throw the last shot in a ten-round string.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Site Supporter
    Recently purchased a Ruger Competition Target MKII. Now to find a Bullseye/Precision Pistol match to shoot it in.

Bullseye and Air Pistol are great sports. i have been shooting precision pistol sports almost exclusively for three years—I’m somewhat medically disabled, so the run and gun sports are off the table and I can no longer support shotguns or rifles with my left arm. I started shooting 10m Air Pistol this winter as a component of bullseye training..

I still love a good indoor 900 or outdoor 2700, but the precision requirements of 10m Air Pistol and the shorter match duration have quickly made it my favorite. The AP inner 10 (“X”) is equal to a 0.89” at 50 yards (just over HALF the size of the 50-yard B6 X-ring). The AP outer 10-ring is equal to a 2” ring at 50 yards (closer to the 1.5” B6 X-ring in size than the 3” B6 10-ring). It’s an iron sights only, slow-fire only discipline that requires a complete focus for over an hour of uninterrupted shooting.

Name:  D8017A32-9B8B-4E64-8DEB-B3234F105920.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  82.5 KB

Name:  0A0F744E-E1CB-4979-89F6-CF76CC70A5F6.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  84.6 KB

Everyone should try it at least once. It’s humbling.

Looking at the other international disciplines now as well—free pistol, standard pistol, and rapid fire pistol. Non-collegiate matches are few and far between stateside, but the talent at the top of those matches is Olympic-grade.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

User Tag List