Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Walther mini-pistol coming soon?

Site Supporter

New Walther mini-pistol coming soon?

Someone on the Walther forum was snooping patents...

https://patents.google.com/patent/US...lther&sort=new

This one, specifically, is for a new slide/frame interface where the rails run through the center of the frame (as in, not on either side). That's pretty neat. I guess it allows the gun to have a thinner profile overall.

You can also see what looks like side-by-side feed ramps in the frame (so, maybe some kinda dual-feed mag?), a manual safety and a striker-fired mechanism. If you dig a little deeper in Walther's list of patents, you'll see a design for a new extractor (which appears to be "special" in some way--though my eye for schematics is lacking) and some kinda VP9ish slide-rack-assist nubs. There's also a design in there for new space-efficient mags (which don't appear to be dual feed?).

While patents certainly don't definitely mean there's gonna be a new gun... what's there all seems to be oriented around this idea of a small, slim, hi-cap pistol. So, I feel like we'll see something. Eventually.

Here's a link to thread on the Walther forum: https://www.waltherforums.com/thread...atents.130536/
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

Great find. Hopefully a Walther P365 future Bond Gun.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post

Is that basically a slide rail down the middle on the back of the side below the strike channel???

Quote Originally Posted by wmu12071 View Post
    Is that basically a slide rail down the middle on the back of the side below the strike channel???
    I would say "yes".

That is an unusually functional-looking patent drawing.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    I would say "yes".

That is an unusually functional-looking patent drawing.
    Agreed, I was trying to figure our how the striker is engaged and why these things would be a benefit. I have some ideas but none that seems to really solve a problem other than dropping the bore axis a very small amount.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by wmu12071 View Post
    Agreed, I was trying to figure our how the striker is engaged and why these things would be a benefit. I have some ideas but none that seems to really solve a problem other than dropping the bore axis a very small amount.
    My guess is the center-mounted rail system is supposed to allow for a thinner slide… while possibly allowing for a wider mag?
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    Seems apropos, now that 007 has all the bits needing sliding lube on the inside too.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    I think the one piece slide rail in the rear of the slide also has the function of pushing a round out of the magazine and into the chamber. The frame rail that mates with this slide rail will be located at the rear of the frame- at the very rear of the frame. The sear will be in front of this frame rail.

The patent for a Loading Aid of a Firearm shows the same pistol, but obviously with an optic-mounting plate and a manual safety.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    My guess is the center-mounted rail system is supposed to allow for a thinner slide… while possibly allowing for a wider mag?
    Thats what the patent seems to be saying - the goal is for a thinner slide then normal.

User Tag List