Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IWB mag pouch vs pocket carry?

I routinely carry a 26 or 19 magazine in my front left pocket. Sometimes using a Mastermind IWB mag pouch, and other times one IWB and another in my pocket.

I think having a spare mag is a lot more important than how you carry it.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I also carry a G26. I keep a spare mag clipped to my left front pocket in a Neo Mag.

The non-G Neo Mag didn't work as well for me with G17 mags. It didn't have enough retention to keep the mag in the carrier all day long. With the shorter G26 mags that hold only 10 rounds, no issues.

Spare mag in pocket can create challenges accessing the mag if you're seated or kneeling. Those challenges become orders of magnitude more difficult if you're working one handed (SHO in particular).

That said, as a non-LEO and non-mil person, the chances of needing a reload in a defensive gunfight are slim to none. That's not a popular opinion hereabouts, but I have yet to see compelling evidence to the contrary.

If your spare mag is in anticipation of needing a slide-lock emergency reload, then there are some great mag pouch options. For a 10-round 26 mag, a grip extension may be worth it to aid in the index of the mag. I regularly use a koala from DSG, a JM custom, or a mastermind.

That said, if I’m not working in a concealed capacity, IF I’m carrying a spare mag, it’s most likely in my front left pocket. The only thing I keep in that pocket is my wallet, with my keys to the left of my wallet, so my mag can drop in to the right. It’s slower, harder to access, etc. but at least I have one. And I think the most-likely use for a spare mag is for malfunctions, general redundancy, and a post-fight top off.

Site Supporter
    Low profile: I use the snake eater tactical iwb mag pouch. For me they predated the offering of mastermind tactics.

As a right hander, I tend to keep my left pocket free for a Pom.

If ultra low profile is driving the train, the mag pocket on the 5.11 slim defender flex works well for me.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Low profile: I use the snake eater tactical iwb mag pouch. For me they predated the offering of mastermind tactics.

As a right hander, I tend to keep my left pocket free for a Pom.

If ultra low profile is driving the train, the mag pocket on the 5.11 slim defender flex works well for me.
    I’m usually carrying a G17 reload for my 19, front left pants pocket, next to my wallet… works pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by JJN View Post
    I reflexively recommended the Mastermind, but G26 mags are so short that IWB is iffy with them. Normally pocket carry is not the way to go, but with a baby Glock it's not terrible. I'd still probably go with the Mastermind IWB, and just push the mag down so the baseplate is flush with the beltline. Especially since CA is one massive NPE.
    I neglected to mention I used a 19 mag with an X-grip sleeve on it.

User Tag List