Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IWB mag pouch vs pocket carry?

IWB mag pouch vs pocket carry?

I am new to CCW and carry my G26 AIWB. I bought an IWB mag pouch, which is "ok" to wear comfort-wise and printing-wise but it is nicer without the extra item against my belly. Any downsides to left front pants pocket carry? Maybe a little slower to get to, lint getting in the mag? Maybe pocket carry only for a third mag (I'm in CA with a 10-round limit)? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LowAndLeft View Post
    I am new to CCW and carry my G26 AIWB. I bought an IWB mag pouch, which is "ok" to wear comfort-wise and printing-wise but it is nicer without the extra item against my belly. Any downsides to left front pants pocket carry? Maybe a little slower to get to, lint getting in the mag? Maybe pocket carry only for a third mag (I'm in CA with a 10-round limit)? Thanks.
    I've tried several IWB mag pouches and landed on this one: https://www.mastermindtactics.com/shop/elasticmagpouch. Best in class in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by JJN View Post
    I've tried several IWB mag pouches and landed on this one: https://www.mastermindtactics.com/shop/elasticmagpouch. Best in class in my opinion.
    I use that as well. In fact, I'm wearing it right now.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I reflexively recommended the Mastermind, but G26 mags are so short that IWB is iffy with them. Normally pocket carry is not the way to go, but with a baby Glock it's not terrible. I'd still probably go with the Mastermind IWB, and just push the mag down so the baseplate is flush with the beltline. Especially since CA is one massive NPE.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JJN View Post
    It's what I wore all day. Comfortable and very versatile.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Site Supporter
    My G26 is in my waistband today, and the 15 round spare magazine is in my pocket next to my wallet.

Kilt in the streetz!!

Site Supporter
    The Neomag works good for pocket carry. I hate trying to wear a double stack mag IWB.

Site Supporter
    I always carry a G17 mag as a reload for any 9mm Glock I carry regardless of model. Part of the reason being the additional length allows for better purchase when reaching for the reload which I would be most likely to need RIGHT NOW.

To comfortably carry both a double stack Glock and additional reload IWB a larger waist size of pant and or belt may be necessary. Alternatively an OWB reload is not bad and while it may print more doesn't draw attention the way a pistol butt may.

I can't say that I've never pocket carried a reload but you've already pointed out some of the major draw backs. Slower retrieval, inconsistent orientation, and potential for foreign matter in the mag. There are pocket mag holders that can remedy the orientation and pocket debris but it's still slower, but you decide what's best for you in a particularsituation.

I do not like pocket carry for my mags. AIWB with a Tenicor ABDO is near perfect.

Site Supporter
    I carry IWB at 3:30, but use an OWB magazine carrier. The magazines do not extend sufficiently far below the belt for IWB to offer a significant advantage. Having both a gun and magazines inside the waistband is a lot of stuff to fit inside your pants. I can only imagine how much bigger the waistband would have to be, and how baggy the pants would look.

I do pocket carry a reload in the weak side pocket when carrying my gun in a strong side pocket. It works, but the magazine competes for space with everything else in that pocket. I use a pocket magazine carrier to protect the magazine.

User Tag List