Thread: Optic on a Winchester 1300 Defender

Site Supporter

Optic on a Winchester 1300 Defender

I have had a Winchester Defender 1300 for quite a few years. Used in classes with Givens and matches. Works pretty well. It has just a fiber optic front sight. I'm going to have an extra red dot in the inventory, so thinking about putting it on the gun. It doesn't have a rail and I know I could get it drilled and a rail installed. However, what to folks think of this attachment that you can put on without such:

Aimtech Winchester 1300 12 Gauge Shotgun Saddle Mount, Black

Thanks
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

No experience, but I follow a gunsmith on IG (Vance Gunsmith in Whynot, MS). He recently posted about a SG that came in for work. Drilled and tapped the receiver to mount the red dot that was previously on a saddle mount. Commentary was that the saddle mounts never hold zero or work well. As I recall, this was for a Turkey gun, but the concept is valid.

I’ve toyed with proper sights on my 1300 Defender for years, especially considering that it has the VCS barrel treatment. Personally, I would either have the receiver drilled and tapped for a mount or perhaps reach out to Vang Comp and ask about their barrel mount for RDS. I was able to handle just such a gun with the RDS mounted to the barrel, and it was a pretty slick set up.

Heck, you could just send the barrel to VCS for the standard treatment and have them add the RDS base at the same time, all without having to worry about FFLs for shipping.
    Last edited by LJP; 03-10-2023 at 08:13 PM.

I have an Aimtech saddle mount on my Benelli M1 and it works great. A gunsmith told me tat the M1’s receiver wall was too thin the drill and thread for a base, so I went this route and don’t regret it. It’s held zero so far with over 75 rounds of OO buck and slugs.

Based on the pictures, the mounting styles might be a little different though. It looks like the Winchester is secured by the two receiver pins. My Benelli is secured by one receiver pin AND bridge plate right in front of the mag loading tube. There is also a small set screw on the bottom of the bridge plate that puts tension on the receiver.

Name:  2C3D8729-AE90-4E7A-9E17-54DD56E6DAF4.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  16.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by LJP View Post
    No experience, but I follow a gunsmith on IG (Vance Gunsmith in Whynot, MS).
    Too late to edit the above post, and my memory failed me, but it’s actually Whynot Gunsmith Shop in Meridian, MS.

User Tag List