Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Hammer Pair Help

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Who ?

Cooper / Gunsite have AN explanation but it’s not THE explanation.

Cooper made significant contributions to the shooting art but his long term influence has been limited by the fact that at a certain point he stopped trying to innovate and instead decided his way was THE way and he everything figured out. He came around a bit at the end but by then the damage was done. Stagnation is death.
    I think it's OK to be grateful for what he accomplished. I respect your opinions.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    I think it's OK to be grateful for what he accomplished. I respect your opinions.
    Personally, I consider the development and popularizing of the four safety rules to be his most significant accomplishment.

There used to be Ten Commandments of Gun Safety.
    Can anybody recite them all?

Four is ample.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post

Four is ample.
    Four is particularly ample when Larry Mudgett makes you recite them, verbatim to the syllable, in front of 30 people

White, yellow, orange, red.

Dedicated pair, hammer, reverse hammer, split hammer.

He had a knack for communication. Perhaps he eschewed “black“ and the “non-dedicated” pair out of an aversion to the number five?

After 13 hours of driving back from AZ ... naw, never mind.

That was tongue in cheek, but one might further observe that he never gave us Condition Five, instead going the other way to allow for Condition Zero, to the delight of such as the late Joe Sledge.

Site Supporter
    Only a bit tongue in cheek- in 2023, before WHITE (Unaware and unprepared) there should now be a new color/condition -PIXELATED (actively distracted and engaged in the handheld device you are holding and looking at, often in your primary hand.)

You heard it here first...
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post

Four is ample.
    This is a great example of how modern safety science has evolved from what some have termed the Manhattan Phone Book approach to rulemaking where there is a rule or procedure for every conceivable situation to one in which well formulated general principles can be applied universally. Cooper's work is cited even outside of the firearms context as a prime example of a multi-layered safety system. Human factors research in the ensuing years has shown the benefits of orgainzing guidelines in ways that mimic thought processes that lead to successful problem solving. In that light, Cooper's rules 3 & 4 should be transposed; you simply can't be ready to shoot until you are sure of your target and its surroundings. In his own way, Hoot was right; that trigger finger truly is the last line of defense.

User Tag List