Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Pistol Caliber Carbines For Patrol Use?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    There is nothing in the OP about a motorcycle unit. Policing is regional - “road patrol” or “on the road” is simply how some places refer to uniformed patrol.
    Agree, in our area there is little to no walking “beat cops” and virtually everyone is in a car or “road patrol” or “on the road”

this appears to be intended for general issue.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    Wobbly, any idea what these departments are using these weapons for? Standatd patrol or SWAT weapons or some specialized function?

Somewhat off topic from patrol long guns, an LASD SEB deputy at TacOps East mentioned that their teams' primary long gun was the MP-5. That seemed an odd choice in today's world, but mad respect for the unit.
    Sorry I have no idea. I had based that post on the press releases or articles I found announcing the contract awards.

This is the second mention I’ve recently heard about LASD SEB still using the MP5 as their primary long gun. That’s so weird to me in 2024.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    @Magsz - What state are you in?

I just read through this thread and felt like I stepped back into 1999 when all the post-Columbine nonsense broke out and there were actual articles in police journals about using a Maglite or Kel-Lite as shoulder stock to steady your pistol for hallway shots. Pure stupidity at its very best.

We still have a whole bunch of H&K MP5's, which are essentially a PCC. Do you know how many people carry one on patrol? Zero. Why? Because anyway you slice it 5.56 is just better under 99% of circumstances. The mag compatibility thing is just nonsense and guess what? If everyone is carrying an AR they're all using compatible magazines anyway.

The easy button is to buy standard 16" AR's like a Colt 6920 or S&W M&P line and issue those with an Aimpoint PRO or Trijicon MRO, VTAC sling, a Surefire Mini Scout Turbo, and Magpul PMAGS, and call it a day. A 16 hour "new user" course should work for the transition and an annual 4 hour in-service with built-in qual would keep everyone current.
    Kev,

Sorry for the slow response. Been really busy with work and family.

I'm located in Florida.

We tend to gravitate towards a lot of unrealistic scenarios based out of some wild dream that our trainers or admin staff have. Raging gun battles where we are throwing each other magazines simply don't happen in domestic law enforcement. Can it happen? Absolutely. Has it happened? Absolutely but to ME, it's absolutely not a major consideration when assessing efficacy of a particular weapon system versus another.

We are currently experiencing a massive drought of individuals who want rifles. I believe this year so far we've had something like ninety rifles turned in from people who didn't want to qualify, couldn't qualify or simply didn't want to be hassled. To me, this is alarming and a massive problem given our jurisdiction. The aforementioned number may be inaccurate as that is second hand information but anything more than ONE or TWO rifles being GIVEN up is TOO much for my blood.

Handing out PCC's wont solve the problem. It will only make it worse when we fail to stop an armored threat.

It's been a bit since i've posted this. I haven't heard anything new regarding this. I'll have to ask some of my buddies in training if there's been any movement on this horrible idea.

User Tag List