Thread: Concept Build: EDCLB CL

Concept Build: EDCLB CL

Malkoff E2XTD head (650 lumens | 70,000 cd)
    Oveready E35 body
    Lumens Factory UM00 Momentary Tailcap

The EDCLB CL (combat light) is optimized for the syringe grip as used with the Rogers-Surefire technique. The Lumens Factory tailcap is the classic "twisty" style that is optimized for momentary operation and features a copper plunger. This tailcap has a great feel to the momentary operation. The EDCLB will come equipped with both the finger ring as shown and the EDCLB wrist lanyard. I hope to twist @Tony Mayer 's arm and make a belt carrier for this light.

Here is the EDCLB CL next to the current Fat Boy;

According to Oveready, the E35 body will be available again in a few months. Once it is I will be offering this configuration on the EDCLB website with a choice of E2S, E2HT, E2XTD or BGV2 heads.
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 03-12-2023 at 09:19 AM.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Site Supporter
    70,000 candela! I think I found my next defensive light.
    --Jason--

@NH Shooter,

$?

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    It should come in the same as the Fat Boy shown above ($279). Don't forget the P-F member 10% discount.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    It should come in the same as the Fat Boy shown above ($279). Don't forget the P-F member 10% discount.

Email me what you think you are wanting for a pouch and I will see if I can come up with something.
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mayer View Post
    Email me what you think you are wanting for a pouch and I will see if I can come up with something.
    One nice thing about trying to make a pouch for lights with Malkoff heads is that you can accommodate multiple models with a small number of diameters. The smaller heads are 1 inch. At least some of the mid-size heads are 1.25 inch. All of the small and mid size heads I have seen have parallel sides.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    One nice thing about trying to make a pouch for lights with Malkoff heads is that you can accommodate multiple models with a small number of diameters. The smaller heads are 1 inch. At least some of the mid-size heads are 1.25 inch. All of the small and mid size heads I have seen have parallel sides.
    This.

@Tony Mayer - I will reach out via email, but I thought I'd post some ideas in this thread for others to provide feedback.

Concept 1

I really like horizontal carry for a flashlight. This holster holds an EDCLB light with 1-inch diameter head nicely (work well with pocket clip too) - https://kytexgear.com/product/horizo...ghtstick-copy/

Concept 2

This one is vertical carry with a separate belt clip. A bit more complex, but definitely works well (the company who made it is no longer in business);

I ended up modifying this one for my preferred horizontal carry;

Concept 3

As @BillSWPA posted here - https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1459717

I'm thinking this design concept could be used for a vertical carry light holster too.

Thanks for taking a look!

Site Supporter
    Two thoughts:

I have not had good experience with belt clips, and suggest a loop or a Tec-Lock.

While I really like the CCC basic magazine pouch, I have also used the CCC basic light pouch, and do not have the same fondness for that pouch. It is not particularly sturdy, and I suspect that it may have been what tore the fabric on my car’s driver’s seat.

I would be very interested in a light that is appropriate as a defensive handheld and I could also buy a low ish profile JMCK belt carrier.

My pockets are pretty full of stuff, so yo carry the admin light in pocket snd defensive light in belt is a compromise I’d happily make.

Update

I've been communicating with Oveready to discuss the changes they are planning on the E35 and E70 bodies. They are using my input to make some improvements on these bodies. I anticipate that I will be offering this model once the new bodies are available sometime this summer.

In the meantime I've been EDCing the light as pictured below (with finger ring). Though it feels bulkier in the pocket compared to the Dagger, it doesn't feel much different than the current Fat Boy. I remain impressed with the simple yet robust "switchology" of the LF tailcap, which is the same over-sized plug design as the old SF Z14/Z31 but uses copper instead of aluminum. This tailcap design is ideal for a syringe grip, giving excellent feel and reliable control of the light. This larger tailcap allows easy one-handed turning to constant-on, which IMO is an advantage over the SF designs which often require two hands to twist;

With the roomy pockets of the Duluth Foreman pants I usually wear, the light is very quick and easy to access and get into action. Unlike the wrist lanyard, I do not attempt to get my finger through the ring while in the pocket, which really speeds up the presentation. Using the finger ring for positive retention, I find I can get a finger through the O-ring pretty easily once it's out-of-pocket without needing the strong hand to assist.

I "target practice" frequently, drawing the light with a syringe grip and placing the focused beam on an object using a hip-level "point shooting" presentation. Holding and operating the light this way, transitioning to the Rogers/Surefire is fast and intuitive.

This body/tailcap combination works with any of the Malkoff E-series heads, though the E2XTD (Fat Boy) head seems the most compelling for this light configuration. I will continue to provide updates on this latest project.
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 04-22-2023 at 06:49 AM.

User Tag List