Thread: .357 Magnum Fiocchi Wadcutter

.357 Magnum Fiocchi Wadcutter

Seems Fiocchi offers a .357 Magnum wadcutter load at 1000fps. Wouldn't this be a more ideal compromise than the 38 Spec. loads in steel frames?
    Does anybody have any experience with it?:

I hope that isn't a HBWC bullet.

Fiocchi normally uses a 10 inch non-vented test barrel for 357 Magnum ammo.

I suspect that this velocity was from a 6 inch vented barrel.

That is the test barrel length used for their "Cowboy Action" load.

The Fiocchi 38 Special lead wadcutter does 730 feet per second from a non-vented 5" test barrel.

Centric to snubs-

The appeal of the WC is a generously consistent amount on penetration with a very comfortable shooting experience. It’s also a given that the 2” barrel really castrates most of the “don’t get kilt” HP loads.

And the WC does all that cutting at a fairly low velocity. So why step up the speed and recoil for the same effect?

Everything else-

If we’re talking K frames and up with at least 3” barrels then I would probably seek out a vetted JHP load instead of a WC. Although the full charge wadcutter was discussed on this forum and I will say I like the idea but I have a shelf of .357 XTP and Critical Defense boxes.

Like was mentioned above, I would want to see those speeds from a realistic tube instead of the factory testbed.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    I hope that isn't a HBWC bullet.
    Me too, since that skirt could blow off and stick in the bore, causing a burst barrel. Maybe @Outpost75 could weigh in on this.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Winchester's vaunted 145gr. Silvertip seems to do around 1050 fps out of a 2" barrel (1290 fps advertised). So I thought
    this wadcutter would be way milder.

Site Supporter
    A search on Ammoseek came up empty. I'd be interested in trying it, but my lightest .357 Mag revolver is a 4" M19, so it wouldn't be that useful to me.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Unfamiliar with the Fiocchi .357 wadcutter. Expect that it would be a solid or shallow cupped.base.

Quote Originally Posted by overton View Post
    Seems Fiocchi offers a .357 Magnum wadcutter load at 1000fps. Wouldn't this be a more ideal compromise than the 38 Spec. loads in steel frames?
    Does anybody have any experience with it?:

I may be mistaken, but I believe that that particular line, including that specific loading, is not sold in the US.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

User Tag List