Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Someone needs to start making this magazine pouch

Those are a very slick simple way to make a pouch out of kydex. The only down side to anything Kydex that flexes, is that it can eventually crack. Like holsters with wings, sweat guards, formed "clips" etc.

I've used the Comp-Tac single mag pouches for a long time, and a while back got into a deal for four or five of them in a package deal with a Glock I wanted. Adjustable for retention, and fairly simply made from one piece of kydex. They are not the best concealment wise, but they stay secure on a belt, despite being designed to slip/clip over the top. The bad news, is that if you don/doff them by snapping them over the belt, instead of threading them on the belt like a loop, you will eventually cause a stress crack across the top of the formed kydex loop/clip. I've busted quite a few that way over the years, so I try to thread them on if at all possible.

Originally, Comp-Tac used formed Kydex clips for their C-TAC holster, and they would get the same cracks at the top of the belt loops/clips. I broke quite a few of those too, over the years. They eventually went to an injection molded clip with a flexible plastic that wouldn't crack. Awesome upgrade when they went to those. I carried in a C-TAC for a very long time. The original holsters were better, IMHO, than their current offerings, other than molded clips. They were basically hand made, and very smooth, while also being well fitted to the guns. Some of the changes they made when updating production to CNC'd holster forms etc, resulted in holsters that were more pointy and pokey in places than their old ones.

Since I've started carrying AIWB, I've been using a JM Custom Kydex mag pouch ( the long adjustable one) and been pretty happy with it. I keep meaning to try one of his standard AIWB pouches, but have not placed an order recently.

Happily, I picked up a couple a few years back from CCC.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    Those are a very slick simple way to make a pouch out of kydex. The only down side to anything Kydex that flexes, is that it can eventually crack. Like holsters with wings, sweat guards, formed "clips" etc.

I've used the Comp-Tac single mag pouches for a long time, and a while back got into a deal for four or five of them in a package deal with a Glock I wanted. Adjustable for retention, and fairly simply made from one piece of kydex. They are not the best concealment wise, but they stay secure on a belt, despite being designed to slip/clip over the top. The bad news, is that if you don/doff them by snapping them over the belt, instead of threading them on the belt like a loop, you will eventually cause a stress crack across the top of the formed kydex loop/clip. I've busted quite a few that way over the years, so I try to thread them on if at all possible.

Originally, Comp-Tac used formed Kydex clips for their C-TAC holster, and they would get the same cracks at the top of the belt loops/clips. I broke quite a few of those too, over the years. They eventually went to an injection molded clip with a flexible plastic that wouldn't crack. Awesome upgrade when they went to those. I carried in a C-TAC for a very long time. The original holsters were better, IMHO, than their current offerings, other than molded clips. They were basically hand made, and very smooth, while also being well fitted to the guns. Some of the changes they made when updating production to CNC'd holster forms etc, resulted in holsters that were more pointy and pokey in places than their old ones.

Since I've started carrying AIWB, I've been using a JM Custom Kydex mag pouch ( the long adjustable one) and been pretty happy with it. I keep meaning to try one of his standard AIWB pouches, but have not placed an order recently.
    Every Kydex holster flexes every time the gun is drawn or inserted. The key is keeping the flexing within the elastic deformation range of the material. We have people here who have used the CCC magazine pouches for several years without a problem.

Site Supporter
    I have two that are my range pouches that are being reinforced with strapping tape to extend their life. I have two others that are in the EDC rotation and 2 that gave up the ghost though they could have a second life “velcroed” into something.

It would be wonderful if somebody picked up the design and ran with it. Nothing is smaller on the belt line. Only the OEM Glock Mag Pouch and perhaps the Safariland 71 (closed belt loop Gen 1) are close in terms of the intersection of quality/performance/value.

I concur that as it is kydex, in more than a day and less than 20 years, they are going to crack. It is what kydex does. Cost of doing business. Next. It is why I often buy a spare or spares of something on the front end.

In the absence of these being available, I have just started vetting a purported 3d printed mag pouch that I sourced from eBay. Preliminary findings were good so I have a second on the way to see how consistently they are made and how they will interact side by side on the belt line.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I wonder if a ranger band around the CCC pouch would extend its life and keep it snug over time.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

I like the form factor of the BMCs, I enjoyed them when I had them but I broke a couple of them.

For me at this point I like having a mag pouch that has a soft loop or clip. I have yet to break one of my JM or Darkstar gear pouches.

I don't want my Kydex flexing, that leads to breaking.

BFG Ten Speed mag pouches are the best, in my view. I do often use Blade Tech singles though.

Site Supporter
    I remember using BMC's like 10 years ago. Never replaced them when they cracked. I'm currently using the Tenicor Fero2 when I carry a reload and have been pleased with them.

https://cpwsa.com/pistol-accessories...g-pouches.html

Close.

Maybe a custom maker like Dale Fricke would be interested. I was content with the fixed loop owb pouches from @Tony Mayer before they were discontinued in favor of the clip versions. The clip versions are just ok. Better than most but the fixed loop variant was perfect

Late night poor lighting and quality comparison - closed loop jmck in gray left, ccc bmc in center, kytex right

"...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    https://cpwsa.com/pistol-accessories...g-pouches.html

Close.

Maybe a custom maker like Dale Fricke would be interested. I was content with the fixed loop owb pouches from @Tony Mayer before they were discontinued in favor of the clip versions. The clip versions are just ok. Better than most but the fixed loop variant was perfect

Late night poor lighting and quality comparison - closed loop jmck in gray left, ccc bmc in center, kytex right

I have some of the fixed loop pouches and would like some more if they come back. I had emailed JMCK some time ago and was told they were being redesigned if I recall correctly. I’m sure they’ve been pretty busy with other stuff.

User Tag List