Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dave Spaulding--My 9mm Journey

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JimCunn View Post
    147 gr 9mm averages about 952 fps and 293 ft-lbs out of a 1-7/8" barrel in my 637-2 conversion.
    It's enough to suit me.
    Current 9x19 147-grain ammo is excellent. 30+ years ago it wasn't.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Site Supporter
    As everybody knows, Cooper was writing during that era when 9mm hollow point ammo had a poor performance record. Said another way, during that time, the implication was that 45 hardball out performed 9mm hardball. Also, then the .38 Special revolver predominated, and it's round was the other cartridge that Cooper was comparing to 45 hardball. Having shot feral dogs with 38's, and the various 9mm and 45 rounds, I concluded that none was a humane killer unless brain cavity head shots were made. I will always remember one statement Cooper made. He said that all the handgun calibers will kill but pointed out that the other guy might disarm you, cut your throat, beat hell out of you, or shoot you before he dies if shot with an ineffective round. I paraphrased.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Current 9x19 147-grain ammo is excellent. 30+ years ago it wasn't.
    What year did Speer introduce the Gold Dot? Same question for the Hornady XTP? I think those were two of the original bullets designed to pass FBI penetration tests.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    What year did Speer introduce the Gold Dot? Same question for the Hornady XTP? I think those were two of the original bullets designed to pass FBI penetration tests.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    What year did Speer introduce the Gold Dot? Same question for the Hornady XTP
    1991 for Gold Dot

1990 for XTP

User Tag List