Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATT: Military Historians-Longest CONUS March...

ATT: Military Historians-Longest CONUS March...

TIA

A West Point grad and I both recall a story of a real long march circa WW2 to prove the readiness and grit of the US troops. We both think it started in NC and ended in GA.

Are we crazy?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    TIA

A West Point grad and I both recall a story of a real long march circa WW2 to prove the readiness and grit of the US troops. We both think it started in NC and ended in GA.

Are we crazy?

Nope- it's described in "Band of Brothers".
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Nope- it's described in "Band of Brothers".
    Thank you! Gah! I knew I knew it, but couldn't figure out why. A million PF credits to you!

Now how long was it, and was it really NC to GA? TIA again!

Site Supporter
    The Mormon Battalion did a 2100 mile march from Council Bluffs, Iowa to San Diego during the Mexican-American war.

Not sure if this is the right one but, 115 miles in three days from paracute school at Camp Toccoa to Atlanta, Ga:

https://ultrarunninghistory.com/marches/
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Not sure if this is the right one but, 115 miles in three days from paracute school at Camp Toccoa to Atlanta, Ga:

That's the one. With full equipment, including mortars and machine guns.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Now how long was it, and was it really NC to GA? TIA again!
    Georgia and North Carolina share a border, so technically it could have been very, very short march.

That's the one! Thank you!

This one from that page is also pretty impressive:

"In February 1941 during an African offensive, British forces conducted a forced march of 150 miles in just 30 hours moving time through sand storms. They smashed into a fleeing Italian army, overwhelming superior numbers, trapping thousands of Italian soldiers heading for Tripoli. Thousands surrendered. An enormous store of war materials left behind fell into British hands."

5 MPH is a really fast walk or slow jog ... averaging that for 30 hours is pretty awesome.

Googling around, the Red Chinese Long March was 6000 miles in 268 days of marching (with rest days it took a year). That's 22 miles per travel day.

I don't remember the numbers, but Caesar's armies in Gaul did some impressive hoofing, going back and forth putting out fires.

10th Mountain moved their base frm GA to NY and marched the entire route on the Appalachian Trail.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List