Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Quest for the Perfect Range Bag

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Inner lining should be a bright color and reflective regardless of the outside bag design. Looking for stuff in the dark inside such a bag is way easier than the typical black nylon interior.
    This is something I've always wanted too. I talked to a guy at Shooters Connection and suggested it a few years ago. He said he wouldn't do it because the liner would show the dirt easily. I told him I didn't think it mattered, and that I had seen nylon tool bags with this feature in bright yellow color. But he still dismissed the idea as something that he wouldn't do.

If someone finds a bag with this feature, let me know.

Joe Mamma

Quote Originally Posted by Carraway View Post
    They're not designed specifically for firearms, but you might be interested in some of the Tom Bihn bags ( http://www.tombihn.com ). I just have a laptop bag with a removable braincell (for laptop protection), and it's been a great, versatile everyday bag. I went with the ordinary black one, but I picked the red/orange interior (cayenne). I think the larger bags with compartment options may be closer to what you need.

Besides that, there are the Ape Case ( http://www.apecase.com ) (yellow interiors) and Lowepro ( http://www.lowepro.com/ ) camera bags. I have a Lowepro that's been great, but I haven't used it as a range bag. Still, a lot of movable compartments and made to keep sensitive things safe.

Finally, for something completely different, back when I couldn't justify the expense of a really nice bag and was a little concerned about its attracting attention--especially with camera gear--I used a diaper bag. They tend to be waterproof, have customizable compartments and, most of all, are far less likely to be stolen.

+1 on this!
    Glad to hear I'm not the not the only one who thinks a camera bag makes a great range bag. I use a Tamrac 709 that I had when I owned 35 mm cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mamma View Post
    This is something I've always wanted too. I talked to a guy at Shooters Connection and suggested it a few years ago. He said he wouldn't do it because the liner would show the dirt easily. I told him I didn't think it mattered, and that I had seen nylon tool bags with this feature in bright yellow color. But he still dismissed the idea as something that he wouldn't do.

If someone finds a bag with this feature, let me know.

Joe Mamma
    All my various Spec-Ops Brand bags have bright yellow interiors, even my desert digital camp briefcase/messenger bag.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I'd be in for a bag like this if the price is within reason. I can see it being more than the typical range bag though this will be better than your typical range bag.

Am I the only one that doesn't travel with their range bag? At least not as a stand alone piece. I usually pack it within my luggage or load out bag.

I normally use my range bag as a piece of checked luggage. I stuff it with some clothes just to keep stuff from being too loose in it. I lock every zipper and use every pocket to hold something.
    I don't see why the bag would cost more than say the top of the line bags available now, it would actually have less work involved. 8 Molle panels (4 inside, 4 out) and a good lockable top with a good strap and connection points. Pretty simple really. Then either use current off the shelf pouches or make some different designs for us to attach to it as we see fit.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I will forward this to my contact at a local manufacturer that makes nylon gear for several of the "big tactical brands" and also makes a few items under their own brand name.
    They are always looking for new product suggestions.
    Sounds like the "next" P-F.com or P-T.com group buy right there.

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    +1

I'd certainly buy one. I'm actually in the market for a replacement bag right now.

da6d

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    I would likely be in on one assuming it is crowdsourced.

Otherwise I am seriously looking into a paintball gearbag. I have had a few when I played and they come with wheels and large handles, can be worn as a backpack if needed, open up completely very fast, are designed around similar parameters, and when I go anywhere it does not look like a gun bag. The latter being the most important.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

It's missing the brightly colored interior but checks most of the other boxes:
    http://www.goutdoorsproducts.com/pro...ium-range-bag/

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I will forward this to my contact at a local manufacturer that makes nylon gear for several of the "big tactical brands" and also makes a few items under their own brand name.
    They are always looking for new product suggestions.
    Jody,
    Have you heard back from your contact? Just curious.

User Tag List