Thread: BIL Headed to Notre Dame for grad school....

BIL Headed to Notre Dame for grad school....

Just wondering what the PF hive mind can tell me to help prepare him for moving there from the east coast.

He's one of us, and pretty conservative for a young kid. Staying away from drinking etc, and focusing on his next step of life after college.

Any highlights and lowlights for him to keep an eye on from safety to food and entertainment would be awesome.

TIA

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Site Supporter
    What field, if you don't mind? Living alone?

General things: Don't preach politics, religion, guns to anyone. Don't build up enormous debt in a field with poor employment prospects. Check out what characteristics of the field are attractive to future employers along with other general skills you can pick up.

Just personally, learning a good deal about computers along with psychology, paid the bills for a bit.

Watch out for intensive romances if you are in a more adult environment for the first time. Assuming right out of undergraduate school - but I don't know about this person, so this may be irrelevant. Could be a stable person.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    What field, if you don't mind? Living alone?

General things: Don't preach politics, religion, guns to anyone. Don't build up enormous debt in a field with poor employment prospects. Check out what characteristics of the field are attractive to future employers along with other general skills you can pick up.

Just personally, learning a good deal about computers along with psychology, paid the bills for a bit.

Watch out for intensive romances if you are in a more adult environment for the first time. Assuming right out of undergraduate school - but I don't know about this person, so this may be irrelevant. Could be a stable person.
    Engineering. Ideally live alone, but might not make economic sense. Mainly wants his own room.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

South Bend is a crap hole. A lot of crime. Its sister city Mishawaka is where most of the regular people go though it is hard to know where one starts and the other lets off. Overall Indiana is a conservative state but like everywhere it has liberal cities. I live about 45 minutes North of the College in MI. If we want to go shopping or something our small town doesn't have we usually go to that area or Kalamazoo, MI. Our local TV news is actually out of South Bend. It is pretty much typical midwestern life. Lake MIchigan is not far away and a lot of people come up here for that in the summer. Indy is only a couple of hours away if you want big city stuff. Chicago is closer than that though I don't know why anyone would want to go there.

My wife went to Notre Dame for grad school. Typical college town for the most part with plenty of places to eat and easy access from the highway. South Bend isn't so much a bad place as it has bad streets and neighborhoods right next to or inter mixed with nice streets and neighborhoods. It is weird how fast things change as you drive through an area. Find a decent place as far away from the bad areas and stay out of them and there shouldn't be a problem. My wife was there for 6 years with post doc and never had any issues in an apt with another female grad student and in a house across the river. No crime or encounters. The crime rate is not low so take reasonable precautions but I wouldn't worry either.

Site Supporter
    Check out the room mates - see if the school has a vetted housing/room mate finding program. Make sure they are professionally oriented.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

User Tag List