Thread: CSAT still worth it?

CSAT still worth it?

I'm thinking about taking their pistol and CQB classes (civilian) after reading all the great reviews. I've read that Paul Howe has been taking a less active role in teaching, so I'm trying to figure out whether to skip the pistol and take just the CQB. I have taken other formal pistol classes from reputable instructors in the past, so taking the pistol class only makes sense for me if there is enough quality feedback on improving my technique. I've read that Paul himself is very good at diagnosing technique errors. But having seen how the retirement of the founder turns things into a crap show in other industries, I'm a little worried whether this is still the best allocation of my limited money and time.

Site Supporter
    That's a great question, but I've heard Paul has an excellent instructor development program and still has oversight of the classes. After reading his book about instructor development, I've decided that I'd gladly take a class from his cadre. Just my thoughts and I'd be interested in your feedback if you take a class from CSAT.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    I believe Paul is taking a more active role in teaching for the time being - he mentioned that in one of his newsletters, although I don't recall which one. A quick peek at his schedule has him listed as the lead instructor in about half the classes.

That being said, I have interacted with some of Paul's other staff instructors and all of them have been very professional and have a thorough understanding of Paul's method. If you're looking for insight into why his method is structured the way it is, I'm confident you would get your money's worth out of the course.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    It’s been more than 10 years since I took any CSAT classes but even back then Paul relied on his “student instructors “ for the majority of the one on one training. He is concept is very much the train the trainer concept his old unit was famous for. That said, it’s my hunch that CSAT is more of a program and concept that goes beyond the “celebrity personality “ doing the training. If any of these training schools will outlast their former spec ops founder I think it will be CSAT.

I would still take a class there given the opportunity.

Thanks for your insights. I did take my chances with them and liked the TacPistol class a lot. Honestly, my biggest worry prior to taking the class had been that their real focus was LE training, and civilian classes were there to pay the bills. I'm happy to report the worry to be unfounded.
    Both Paul and his instructors were very good and thorough in helping the students dial in their shooting techniques.
    Their system does emphasize KISS and focus on fundamentals which may feel uncool to the more competition -oriented students but anything designed to work in a real world high stress environment usually is.
    I look forward to future classes with them.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by voyager3 View Post
    Thanks for your insights. I did take my chances with them and liked the TacPistol class a lot. Honestly, my biggest worry prior to taking the class had been that their real focus was LE training, and civilian classes were there to pay the bills. I'm happy to report the worry to be unfounded.
    Both Paul and his instructors were very good and thorough in helping the students dial in their shooting techniques.
    Their system does emphasize KISS and focus on fundamentals which may feel uncool to the more competition -oriented students but anything designed to work in a real world high stress environment usually is.
    I’m very happy to hear that. I didn’t realize you posted tho OP 3 months ago.

Yeah - CSAT is KISS/Old School but fundamentals tend to beat out flash for the things CSAT is preparing the student for.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by voyager3 View Post
    WOW! That is great to hear and reinforces my initial thoughts. I hope you have the opportunity to post a thorough AAR someone, as I would enjoy the chance to read it. Thank you for providing feedback.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
    That's a great question, but I've heard Paul has an excellent instructor development program and still has oversight of the classes. After reading his book about instructor development, I've decided that I'd gladly take a class from his cadre. Just my thoughts and I'd be interested in your feedback if you take a class from CSAT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I believe Paul is taking a more active role in teaching for the time being - he mentioned that in one of his newsletters, although I don't recall which one. A quick peek at his schedule has him listed as the lead instructor in about half the classes.

That being said, I have interacted with some of Paul's other staff instructors and all of them have been very professional and have a thorough understanding of Paul's method. If you're looking for insight into why his method is structured the way it is, I'm confident you would get your money's worth out of the course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    It’s been more than 10 years since I took any CSAT classes but even back then Paul relied on his “student instructors “ for the majority of the one on one training. He is concept is very much the train the trainer concept his old unit was famous for. That said, it’s my hunch that CSAT is more of a program and concept that goes beyond the “celebrity personality “ doing the training. If any of these training schools will outlast their former spec ops founder I think it will be CSAT.

I would still take a class there given the opportunity.
    I have read a bunch of his writings, and spent two weeks training with one of his former fraternity members, who had GREAT things to say about him, his training, and his contributions to the probably overreaching ALERRT training courses. Went from fantastic to "almost usable by some cops". (The ALERRT courses, not the man or his training.)

pat

User Tag List