Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coming soon: Side loading bolt action

Coming soon: Side loading bolt action

TFBTV posted this video. Hera bolt-action rifle in 5.56 with a side magazine port that takes AR mags. 18" barrel with a 1/9 twist. And it has a folding stock.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    They could have at least put the magazine on the right side of the rifle so the sticky-outy bits are all on the same side. Like the Norwegians did 130 odd years ago.

It is an interesting rifle.

It could certainly have a market in some areas. The German rep mentioned that it may be introduced in the US later.

In the US market I would imagine shooters would prefer a 7 twist or 8 twist (8 twist would be my preference), and a 16" barrel.

I realize that it would take a receiver redesign, but if they did redesign the receiver to accept AR style barrels that the end user could swap, they would likely have a winner.

That would make a handy traveling rifle and could go from completely unloaded to ready to shoot rather quickly.

Other than maybe for shooting from the prone with a large mag... what advantage does it offer over a traditionally oriented magazine?

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    That would make a handy traveling rifle and could go from completely unloaded to ready to shoot rather quickly.
    it seems awkward for storage, like trying to pack a steel hedgehog with two many perpendicular angles.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

It is an interesting rifle.

It could certainly have a market in some areas. The German rep mentioned that it may be introduced in the US later.

In the US market I would imagine shooters would prefer a 7 twist or 8 twist (8 twist would be my preference), and a 16" barrel.

I realize that it would take a receiver redesign, but if they did redesign the receiver to accept AR style barrels that the end user could swap, they would likely have a winner.

That would be a great concept for a US maker like Aero.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Other than maybe for shooting from the prone with a large mag... what advantage does it offer over a traditionally oriented magazine?

it seems awkward for storage, like trying to pack a steel hedgehog with two many perpendicular angles.
    It really is not about the magazine. It is about options. There are states that you cannot have a rifle that is loaded in your vehicle. This gives you another option for a rifle that you can load and get into action quickly. Far quicker than a traditional lever action or pump shotgun. The more manufacturers that bring products to the market the better as far as I am concerned. No matter their intended market, be that hunting or defense, it is good to have the options, as people will modify them to suit their intended or perceived needs.

This is especially true as more and more states push so-called assault weapons bans. Rifle/carbines such as this, and future developments that are based off of it are going to be pretty important (in my opinion). As far as the magazine goes, I really don't think it would be that big of a deal, using a 10/20 round mag. A 30 round mag would likely affect balance and might not really be practical in terms of what the user had in mind anyway.

I would be happy to try one out before making up my mind.

It really is not about the magazine. It is about options. There are states that you cannot have a rifle that is loaded in your vehicle. This gives you another option for a rifle that you can load and get into action quickly. Far quicker than a traditional lever action or pump shotgun.

I would be happy to try one out before making up my mind.
    All fair points but still not sure what it’s offering over a traditional bottom fed bolt gun. It’s probably fun to shoot and quirky enough to pick up a few buyers though. I wouldn’t turn down a chance to shoot one either
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Site Supporter
    I like it. Have no use for it but it is a 'just because' gun. Price isn't that bad.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

I wonder what the advantage of the side magwell is .. especially considering germans are legally limited to shortie 10 round mags anyway that won't protrude much from the bottom of the gun. Its not like they can stick an FG42 mag in there

Curious if this is Hera and Voere trying to be a step ahead of the next (yet unannounced afaik, but definitely coming) European assault weapon ban
    Last edited by MTP; 03-05-2023 at 02:17 PM.

If they're going that far with a redesign, make it a straight pull and you could probably run it like a scalded dog. And it would get along with my K31.

I haven't watched the video yet, what's the estimated MSRP?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List