Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Illionois judge strikes down high power rifle and magazine cap ban..

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Same, it’s a total shitshow. I miss Illinois in a lot of ways (and am looking forward to heading right to Gene and Jude’s when I get off the bird in a few weeks) but then I look at the SBRs and suppressors I wasn’t allowed to have there. Screw Jabba and Kwame sideways.
    There's a lot of good people here downstate. Maybe north of Bloomington too, but probably not.

With this whole thing in Macon County, I don't even know if the ban is overturned, suspended, or still in place. I can't get a straight answer. A friend called the local LGS and they said they are not selling lowers until they get clarification from their attorney. Can't blame 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Dammit, I miss Como Inn. And turtle soup at Binyon’s! And when Berghoff didn’t suck! And when Lincoln Avenue had a great selection of German joints! And between set Gene & Jude’s on Whale nights! And feeling up hot young dates in the catacombs at Come Back Inn!

I’m getting homesick for a time that doesn’t exist anymore. And that reminds me, I need to drag Kelly over to Ricobene’s for a breaded steak this trip if I can.
    I have a tap handle from the bar when the Berghoff closed the café.

I miss Louie and Lufky, the sandwich carvers.

An appeals court overturned this ruling and SCOTUS declined to hear the case. The ban goes into effect

https://www.npr.org/2023/12/14/12180...omatic-gun-ban

Site Supporter
    The only clear pattern in Supreme Court rulings on emergency injunctions is the government wins.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

So now what? Is Illinois just SOL? Or is there more appeals to go through before the SC will look at this?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CZ Man View Post
    So now what? Is Illinois just SOL? Or is there more appeals to go through before the SC will look at this?
    This is not a final decision on the merits. It was an attempt at a preliminary injunction while the case is litigated. Preliminary injunctions are not easy to get. Failing to get a preliminary injunction does not mean that the case will ultimately be lost.

After the Brien decision, I have a difficult time believing that there are 5 votes among the justices to uphold the law after full argument of the merits. I suspect that the basis of the denial is entirely procedural in nature. However, anything could happen.

Hopefully some of these cases will get to the merits quickly, but I do not have high hopes that the 7th Circuit will do so. This circuit is notoriously anti-gun.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post

Hopefully some of these cases will get to the merits quickly, but I do not have high hopes that the 7th Circuit will do so. This circuit is notoriously anti-gun.
    So in the meantime there will be potentially millions of law abiding citizens turned into felons on Jan 1st in IL. Yikes. I was really hoping the SC would step in and smack down these anti's especially with the threat of felony charges on the line for IL residents.

And I agree, the 7th will drag its heals on this as long as they can. Sucks to be in IL. Probably will be spreading to my state and many others soon.

Site Supporter
    As you know, Bill - I disagree with the procedural argument.

1. If such an emergency appeal was filed, it means that they have the power to act.
    2. When basic rights are being denied, procedural dominance games speak against the purpose of those rights. It is not to allow the Court to show the lower courts who is boss. Just act. Granting a TRO still allows the issue to be litigated but lets the right be in place.
    3. They may or may not act if it gets to them enventually. The justices may change due to the Grim Reaper or some truly crooked behavior surfaces.
    4. Years go by.

BTW, where are the 4 remanded cases? They were to be re-evaluated based on Bruen - crickets, stalling to defend the laws and start more years of back and forth.

The Court seems to take on lots of social and political issues when it feels like lately in the news. Thus, I am suspicious that the votes to take down AWBs may not exist.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    They’ll be back.

It’s difficult to fight the fight when Pritzker openly admitted that the law was unconstitutional. He didn’t care tho. He signed it anyhow, surrounded by a gaggle of Karens.

So glad to be gone.
    Felt the same when I left. Part of me wanted to burn my FOID card when I crossed the state line for the last time, part of me wanted to keep it as a reminder of what I wasn't ever going back to. As much as I disliked my hometown and the state as a whole, I do find myself missing small town, midwestern life a bit.

When I graduated college and was packing for Florida, one of the state congress critters came into my dad's store and was shooting the bull and politicking like they do "downstate". He asked my dad how his kids were doing, he told him I'd just graduated college. Guy asks, "So is he looking to come back here to start his career?" I was told the guy was rather crestfallen when told that I was going to Florida because I wanted no part in funding a criminal cabal that didn't care about anything south of I80 or having to register like a sex offender to own a gun. Sorry, Illinois. It sucks to suck.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

User Tag List