Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoot-Me-First Vests & Backup Sandwiches

Shoot-Me-First Vests & Backup Sandwiches

EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Backup sandwich
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I had already seen this, but, thanks for posting the link, here. @Mas has made another truly useful, as well as truly humorous video presentation. “Back-up Sandwich” is brilliant!

Some of my vests are getting a bit worn, so, it is good to learn that the manufacturer of the SCOTTeVEST is still extant. (I just looked, on-line, to be sure.) My son has used a SCOTTeVEST for a while, perhaps for several years, after I had recommended it as a known good product, though I have never actually bought my own self a SCOTTeVEST. Most, if not all, of my favored travel/guide vests are long-discontinued models. There is nothing, in my opinion, quite like the original KAVU vests, before the fleece lining was introduced, though there are only two pockets.

Wearing a kill-me-first vest, off and on, over the years, has not yet gotten me kilt on the streets.

By now, all vests, on me, are quite simply old-man/grandpa vests.

Personally, I do not like too much weight in the pockets, so, would not load a vest the way that Mas does, in the video. There are, however, plenty of light-in-weight things associated with modern life, such as the myriad cables and cords associated with mobile electronic devices, protective nitrile gloves, N95 masks, reading spectacles, etc. And, of course, never forget the Slow Strip, to hold a few cartridges of SnubMachineGun ammo, in each outer, lower pocket.
    Last edited by Rex G; 03-04-2023 at 09:50 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    "I was saved when my backup ham and cheese stopped a hollow point 9mm round from a bad guy" - story in Recoil Magazine. The filling completely expand the bullet and slowed it down. The round was found to be a Ham-a-day 124 gr HP. However, there is some debate if the preferred bread is rye or whole wheat for the best protective properties. Normally, bullets are tested in ballistic jello but sandwiches perhaps are a better medium. Ham duplicates flesh and cheese - human fat layers. Obviously, tomato serves as a simulation of blood.

The issue has been of interest, since the famous Miami Deli shootout where two criminals engaged in a blintzrkieg like attack on this beloved eatery. In that case, a 115 gr bullet failed to penetrate a silver tip (a well known cut for roast beef).

Sorry, I'm bored. Support the NRA - National Restaurant Association. https://restaurant.org/
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 03-04-2023 at 10:02 AM.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

SCOTTeVEST should design and manufacture a SCOTTeKILT, so that we can defiantly wear a KILT-on-the-STREETZ.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    I actually told that to James Yaeger at the NTI many years ago.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    "I was saved when my backup ham and cheese stopped a hollow point 9mm round from a bad guy" - story in Recoil Magazine. The filling completely expand the bullet and slowed it down. The round was found to be a Ham-a-day 124 gr HP. However, there is some debate if the preferred bread is rye or whole wheat for the best protective properties. Normally, bullets are tested in ballistic jello but sandwiches perhaps are a better medium. Ham duplicates flesh and cheese - human fat layers. Obviously, tomato serves as a simulation of blood.

The issue has been of interest, since the famous Miami Deli shootout where two criminals engaged in a blintzrkieg like attack on this beloved eatery. In that case, a 115 gr bullet failed to penetrate a silver tip (a well known cut for roast beef).

Sorry, I'm bored. Support the NRA - National Restaurant Association. https://restaurant.org/
    This is perhaps your best post ever. Bravo.

I'd rather get shot than wear one of those vests.

Quote Originally Posted by Super77 View Post
    I'd rather get shot than wear one of those vests.
    Agreed, I can see one instance for my use; but they just have that vibe that the wearer complains about the free continental breakfast at a hotel and wears socks with sandals.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I actually told that to James Yaeger at the NTI many years ago.
    How many NTIs were you able to attend? I read Ayoob's articles on those with fascination. Why don't you start a thread about them?

User Tag List