Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I just couldn't resist this Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag 5.5"

They are such stout guns. They are not too much larger physically than the Smith N Frames. Even though people really mistakenly believe that S&Ws are somehow fragile or weak and limited to milder handloads than they really are, the Ruger Redhawk is a platform that can take some extremely heavy loads. The cylinder on it is longer than even the Blackhawk, and as such, it allows it to chamber handloads that will not chamber in the single action Ruger.

In my early years I experimented with some .44 and .45 loads that really were brutal. Too much influence by Ross Seyfried I suppose.

The 7.5" Redhawk with a dot on it is a real tack driver for launching big slugs through stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    They are such stout guns. They are not too much larger physically than the Smith N Frames. Even though people really mistakenly believe that S&Ws are somehow fragile or weak and limited to milder handloads than they really are, the Ruger Redhawk is a platform that can take some extremely heavy loads. The cylinder on it is longer than even the Blackhawk, and as such, it allows it to chamber handloads that will not chamber in the single action Ruger.

In my early years I experimented with some .44 and .45 loads that really were brutal. Too much influence by Ross Seyfried I suppose.

The 7.5" Redhawk with a dot on it is a real tack driver for launching big slugs through stuff.

I'm not a .44 Mag guy and I prefer the SRH to the RH because grip options but doggone it, I rock that in the field all day long with some .44 Russians or Specials.

Never knew that about the cylinder length.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Because of course Lost River has the coolest pic of a Redhawk on all of PF, if not the internet.

You should make a calendar or maybe a coffee table book of cool gun pictures.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

5.5” is my favorite. Traded a G22 for mine in 96. It’s been lots of places with me.

You and me both. I really pushed the limits of a 7-1/2 in 45 Colt Redhawk and it just shrugged my abuse off, damn near laughing at me. I've had a number of them, their reliability and predictability kind of makes them boring somehow. I still have a 3 digit 1980 44 mag. gun in the safe I keep intending to shoot someday. I'm sure the original owner shot it, but not very damn much.

I blame Ross for my excesses too.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Because of course Lost River has the coolest pic of a Redhawk on all of PF, if not the internet.

You should make a calendar or maybe a coffee table book of cool gun pictures.
    Only if people like guns that are beat to crap!

Fortunately there is a certain segment of our culture that likes that. We have our guys who absolutely love the guns that look like they just came from the factory, but are 80 or more years old, with their amazing finishes, and not a blemish (I like that too). Then we have the guys who love the look of a gun that looks like it spent a couple decades getting used weekly in any and all weather.

I need to learn to take better pics. I see the pics that get posted on here and know that I could do a lot better.

Great find! I am a Ruger revolver fan, but went with a S&W Model 69 for 44MAG.

Only if people like guns that are beat to crap!

Fortunately there is a certain segment of our culture that likes that. We have our guys who absolutely love the guns that look like they just came from the factory, but are 80 or more years old, with their amazing finishes, and not a blemish (I like that too). Then we have the guys who love the look of a gun that looks like it spent a couple decades getting used weekly in any and all weather.

I need to learn to take better pics. I see the pics that get posted on here and know that I could do a lot better.
    I should post a pic of my Colt 1911. We learned a lot together, basic gunsmithing, the ins and outs of pin shooting, IPSC, and more. It's due for a facelift and a minor refit. it just plain looks like a used gun. A well used gun.
    -Thomas Jefferson

I like a well used, but not abused gun. It shows history.

When I look and handle my Gen 1 Kimber that I shot the snot out of and carried everywhere I smile. It is crazy smooth.

I like a well used, but not abused gun. It shows history.

When I look and handle my Gen 1 Kimber that I shot the snot out of and carried everywhere I smile. It is crazy smooth.
    If I had a first gen Kimber I'd smile too!
    -Thomas Jefferson

User Tag List