Thread: This one weird trick allowed me to access ATF eForms!

This one weird trick allowed me to access ATF eForms!

I’ve been having issues accessing ATF’s eForm website for about two years now. I could only do it with one of my two Windows laptops, and not with my MacBook Air, iPad or iPhone. I would get a wrong password error. Another issue was really poor performance on the ATF website with the laptop that I could use - a lot of disconnects and very slow performance.

I use Apple’s password manager for everything, even something like this where I will let it generate and store a strong password that I would use elsewhere.

I had mentioned this to JCN awhile back, and he recommended not using Apple for passwords on this site. I was able to get in, so I didn’t follow his advice.

Yesterday I needed to create a PIN so Capitol Armory could certify me for a purchase. I decided I would change the password at the same time to something I manually created, which I then stored in Apple’s password manager. Now I can get it with all my devices, including iPad, iPhone and MacBook.

@JCN, I owe you one for this. I just wish I had listened to you sooner!

tl;dr: don’t let Apple generate your ATF eForm website password.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’ve been having issues accessing ATF’s eForm website for about two years now. I could only do it with one of my two Windows laptops, and not with my MacBook Air, iPad or iPhone. I would get a wrong password error. Another issue was really poor performance on the ATF website with the laptop that I could use - a lot of disconnects and very slow performance.

I use Apple’s password manager for everything, even something like this where I will let it generate and store a strong password that I would use elsewhere.

I had mentioned this to JCN awhile back, and he recommended not using Apple for passwords on this site. I was able to get in, so I didn’t follow his advice.

Yesterday I needed to create a PIN so Capitol Armory could certify me for a purchase. I decided I would change the password at the same time to something I manually created, which I then stored in Apple’s password manager. Now I can get it with all my devices, including iPad, iPhone and MacBook.

@JCN, I owe you one for this. I just wish I had listened to you sooner!

tl;dr: don’t let Apple generate your ATF eForm website password.

Or, alternatively, copy and paste the password from the list of Apple passwords, rather than having the iOS put it in for you.
    I’ve had this issue on several websites, and have come up with the copy-paste as a workaround.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Or, alternatively, copy and paste the password from the list of Apple passwords, rather than having the iOS put it in for you.
    I’ve had this issue on several websites, and have come up with the copy-paste as a workaround.
    That didn’t work in my case at all. I was having issues with several iterations of Apple generated passwords which I then typed into the Win machines, and I was consistently getting password errors on all except one. As soon as I created my own password, all the machines worked fine.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    That didn’t work in my case at all. I was having issues with several iterations of Apple generated passwords which I then typed into the Win machines, and I was consistently getting password errors on all except one. As soon as I created my own password, all the machines worked fine.
    That’s really interesting. To be more specific in my case, I never let the Apple Keychain password function generate passwords for me - I use an app called 1Password. But I let iOS save those passwords after I enter them. So you may be into something in that it’s the password makeup.

Interesting. I save my eForms login info in Apple passwords but I didn’t have Apple generate the password. It logs in fine using the button that imports the info from Apple passwords. You might be on to something with the Apple generated strong passwords for this site.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Might be some kind of encoding or other characters in there that the archaic reforms site can't process. I'm just waiting for someone to do a SQL injection on them, with a serial number like Little Bobby Tables

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    Might be some kind of encoding or other characters in there that the archaic reforms site can't process. I'm just waiting for someone to do a SQL injection on them, with a serial number like Little Bobby Tables
    Ah, XKCD - for those who speak fluent nerd.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Ah, XKCD - for those who speak fluent nerd.

I knew you were a man of culture and taste.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

User Tag List