Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any one have good info about modern production M1 Carbine clones?

I have an Auto Ordinance carbine that’s been an interesting education in the interplay between a pretty good gun and the rainbow of magazine quality levels. That Ken Hackathorn video is pretty spot on. I’ve thrown some magazines directly into the ocean.

Plainfield guns were generally pretty decent back in the day. Cast receivers and new production barrels and stocks. Usually some GI parts mixed into the trigger group. Maybe a GI slide, etc.

These aren't terribly hard to come by and will likely be cheaper than a new Kahr and certainly less expensive than a new Fulton. For a fun range toy that may pull double duty as a rooftop defense tool this is probably the route I'd take.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

'43 S. G. Saginaw, Underwood barrel.
    It shoots really well, and functioned the last time I shot it.

I was on the fence about keeping it or selling it, and making a profit. It takes up no space, and is in fairly original shape, so it stays for now.

Name:  20181201_140657_HDR.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  35.8 KB
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

I wish Fulton or someone else would do the Thompson too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The irony is that the M1 carbine is considered a safer bet against oppressive legislation, yet I remember a time in NJ where you could own a Colt Sporting Rifle (an AR in disguise), but not an M1 carbine.

Not sure what the case is now, since I’m celebrating 20 years of my escape this August.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The irony is that the M1 carbine is considered a safer bet against oppressive legislation, yet I remember a time in NJ where you could own a Colt Sporting Rifle (an AR in disguise), but not an M1 carbine.

Not sure what the case is now, since I’m celebrating 20 years of my escape this August.
    11 years for us. Wonky stupid restrictions for sure. So glad we're outta there.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The irony is that the M1 carbine is considered a safer bet against oppressive legislation.
    Maybe if you have a C&R and a carbine collection, but I don't think there would be a way around magazine restrictions.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Maybe if you have a C&R and a carbine collection, but I don't think there would be a way around magazine restrictions.
    For me there isn't any point to own a semi-auto rifle if one can't have the standard magazine that goes with it. A person can no longer buy or transfer those in this state legally. The only people that have those after the current session of the legislature retires next month will be the people that already own them.

My carbine is legal and so are my 15 rd mags. I just can't sell them in this state. Depends on the state you live in. I understand you can have original M-1 carbine magazines even in NY if you register them with the police. I could be wrong, I'm not in NY. Maybe Glenn knows.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    For me there isn't any point to own a semi-auto rifle if one can't have the standard magazine that goes with it. A person can no longer buy or transfer those in this state legally. The only people that have those after the current session of the legislature retires next month will be the people that already own them.

My carbine is legal and so are my 15 rd mags. I just can't sell them in this state. Depends on the state you live in. I understand you can have original M-1 carbine magazines even in NY if you register them with the police. I could be wrong, I'm not in NY. Maybe Glenn knows.

How are they going to enforce that? There are millions of mags in the state already, and they aren't date coded, serialized, etc.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    How are they going to enforce that? There are millions of mags in the state already, and they aren't date coded, serialized, etc.
    I don't think they will even try. I think the focus was to stop all sales by dealers, which it did. Same with the AWB the legislature is about to pass.

Never mind the thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of AR's already in possession in the state. All those are still legally owned.

This won't keep the homicide rate or even slow the mass shootings. All one has to do is look at CA to see how it's worked for them.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List