Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The role of in person classes in training versus online coaching and self-video.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    If someone starts in isolation and without in person training, how does one choose between Stoeger video material vs Mike Glover vs Corey&Erica?
    But that's just a problem in general. How do you choose between squared away in-person trainers and non-squared-away in-person trainers? I've got about a 1:6 ratio along those lines in my immediate area. (For Twitter misinformation purposes: that's a completely made up statistic.)
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    So that's the main reason why I'm posting this. Having someone who teaches you how to think, observe and be your own teacher can be super useful for people who need help learning how to learn but are willing to put in the work. It's more useful to give a dedicated online 5 minutes here and there when they need it rather than a lumped 1000 round class when they don't.
    Since I showed up in this post, I'll just jump in here to second this. Having the willingness to do the work is one thing, but figuring out better ways to do it, to think about it, to apply what you're learning, and in other ways to use that effort to actually make improvements is another thing. And coaching, for me, has been essential. Would I have made greater strides if I'd had in-person coaching focused on one or two days of class time? Hard to say, but I suspect not. There is some evidence to support that inasmuch as I've taken several in-person shooting classes with national instructors. I've enjoyed all of them and I would say I've learned a lot at them, but not necessarily about how to improve my shooting.

Edit: I'm also glad JCN changed his sig line, because I never saw 'dickhead' in his posts, though I do see a lot of 'gadfly.' Gadflies can be unpopular, sure--the standard example being Socrates with the hemlock. But that doesn't make them dickheads. Don't sell yourself short, JCN!
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

With Covid, hasn't the country been running a multi year test of online training and coaching versus in person interactions?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

If someone starts in isolation and without in person training, how does one choose between Stoeger video material vs Mike Glover vs Corey&Erica?
    Trial and (mostly) error.

Stoeger comes across well in print. Not sure about video.

Something Rob Leatham has told me, is that while there are significant mental aspects involved, shooting is very physical. As an instructor, he believes it is very important to stand close to you so as to be able to touch you to optimally diagnose and instruct.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Good question. I think it's like how people new to combatives can't tell the difference between the real deal and a Mc Dojo. Some people don't want the real deal because it's scary, humbling, and you have to work hard.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I’ve taken two formal classes. One from a local trainer. The other from a GM. These were both 5+ years ago. Fast forward to today and they helped me very little. Why? Partially because I didn’t practice consistently. Also because they didn’t teach self analysis. When I look at the high level of online coaching and education now it’s much better than what I received in these classes. At some point a shooter has to start analyzing their own shooting. My biggest gains have come over the past couple years as I’ve learned how to do that.

If I had to choose between the two, I think online coaching is superior to group classes. I recently backed out of a Stoeger class. Not because I think it won’t help but because I think my resources are better spent elsewhere. Class costs, travel and ammo would’ve made it a $1200+ training session plus time off work. If I wanted I could buy several years worth of Max Michels patreon for that or an entire year of PTSG gold membership.

I have been shocked at how many of the up and coming CO gms have reached an elite level with very little to no formal group training.

The secret is not really a secret. It’s lots of time and reps of practice.

Watching them shoot it becomes pretty clear who I would want.

But sadly Google and YouTube analytics will pop up those others before Stoeger.

...Corey&Erica?
    Who? Literally (as in actually) never heard of them.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Moylan View Post
    Edit: I'm also glad JCN changed his sig line, because I never saw 'dickhead' in his posts, though I do see a lot of 'gadfly.' Gadflies can be unpopular, sure--the standard example being Socrates with the hemlock. But that doesn't make them dickheads. Don't sell yourself short, JCN!
    Hey thanks! I had to Google the context of gadfly and seems appropriate:

A gadfly is a person who interferes with the status quo of a society or community by posing novel, potentially upsetting questions, usually directed at authorities. The term is originally associated with the ancient Greek philosopher Socrates in his defense when on trial for his life

Like Moylan said, it’s no different than picking any type of training.

I can tell you what I personally did.

I started pistol in December 2015 for self defense purposes:

Did my CCW class before I owned a gun with a rented 22LR.

Name:  EF70EC5C-6496-49CB-A278-CA0766942F1B.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  22.5 KB

Looked for videos on grip from people with military background and high level competitive shooting objective success.

Modeled grip off Shannon Smith videos because I was shooting a Glock.

Spent time with his videos and myself in front of a mirror until my grip looked like his.

Then spent time at the range with that grip shooting doubles.

Tested against an objective standard (NRA pistol).

Was too easy.

Did some work and then did FBI 50 round qual and was too easy.

So started competition shooting because the published standards were harder.

Looked through the available online training and picked Max Michel’s online Patreon program because he was Army Marksmanship and world champion and also had the kind of risk reducing philosophy and balance that resonated with me. I’m not a gambler. I learned a ton from him but mainly in the philosophy and strategy rather than the technical.

I did also learn technical gaming stuff from him in terms of atypical start positions I had not practiced (seated and table starts).

So that has been my philosophy. Pick people who have the background and objective success (different from participation credits) and who also have the style of presentation that resonate with me. I like calm so Shannon and Max are my preference to more labile personalities like Rob and Ben. But that part is personal preference only.

User Tag List