Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 Shot Leather, LLC announces the release of the SME!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S. View Post
    Plastics were the "miracle material" because of their strength to weight ratios and chemical resistance when they came to the scene. Leather isn't really capable of breaking in the traditional sense - it just wears out, chaps, and loses form.
    Some things can't be done well without it, but they have a finite life in the way we use them.

SLG- what's the little "wing" on the trigger guard side for?
    If it is used how I wanted to use plastic it pulls the grip in. FWIW kydex seemed to weaken too much for my liking here. Leather fixes that.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I run with this holster several times a week, both short and long distances. Crossfit with it on is also not an issue, though I don’t usually wear it for that.
    Just out of curiosity as I run some, what pants and or shorts do you run in that have belt loops and are comfortable for long runs? Also what belt are you using? Sorry if this is getting off topic moderators can split this off to a new thread.

We are diminished
    what's the little "wing" on the trigger guard side for?
    Incredible concealability without discomfort.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Some things can't be done well without it, but they have a finite life in the way we use them.

If it is used how I wanted to use plastic it pulls the grip in. FWIW kydex seemed to weaken too much for my liking here. Leather fixes that.
    Just bustin' balls, you know that. I got what you meant.

Lots of plastic fish in the plastic sea. I think I've got your solution. Ill shoot you an email or call over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    If it is used how I wanted to use plastic it pulls the grip in.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Absolutely. That's why I asked, and completely agree. I've been playing with AIWB designs for a looong time now, and I can say without a doubt the trick is pulling in the grip without equally pulling in the slide side.

Hats off to the maker of this. It looks very well done.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Surely your bringing yours the 19th.

I just pulled up 5Shot Leather's website for the first time. The letter from Lou Alessi is just awesome. Same with talking about Lou and Tony K of Milt Sparks helping him out when getting started. Too cool.

I should take up leather. This kydex crap is too cut-throat.

Congratulations on a nice design and positive response (sold out preorders at 1am on a Thursday... no joke), John R. I don't know you personally, but first rounds on me if you find yourself in Michigan.

Just to be clear, I use and like kydex very much. It has a definite place for me. It just isn't as tough as leather. I have a couple of kydex aiwb holsters that do a very good job...and I wore a few of them out (broken) in the last few years. Leather does wear out, especially hard use leather. But it doesn't tend to fail catastrophically, and if it is well cared for, it will last a very long time. Each has their place for me, but leather is my preferred daily carry. Kydex is used more for travelling as a back up holster, or when I'm going back and forth between concealment and full kit.
    None of what I wrote is intended as a slam on kydex, just a realistic assessment of the the two materials.

By the way,, you really can't say "kydex this and kydex that." Not all kydex is the same, there are some pretty big differences out there, and not all kydex makers use top of the line stuff. Of course, not all leather is the same either, but among the top leather makers, I think it is safer to take the quality for granted. Safer, not absolutely safe. With John, not only is his leather tops, but his hardware is also as bombproof as I've seen or tested.
    Last edited by SLG; 10-12-2012 at 07:42 AM.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
    Surely your bringing yours the 19th.
    I'll have it.

As for the leather/kydex debate, both have their place. Both have their proponents. Both have their advantages. And both have their weaknesses. There are kydex aiwb holsters I like and use. The options for truly exceptional leather aiwb-specific designs are few, which is why we were so excited to convince Ralston to take on the challenge.

It looks as though this has a slight reverse cant to it. Will options be available in straight drop? Having a 28" waist makes AIWB even more challenging.
    Taking a break from social media.

User Tag List