Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The AR15 in Litigation

Site Supporter

The AR15 in Litigation

This is an excellent - and long - article on the myths and facts of the AR15 in litigation.

https://reason.com/volokh/2023/02/27...m_medium=email

Retired Colonel Craig Tucker, U.S. Marine Corps, who served as an infantry officer for 25 years and commanded combat units in Iraq, wrote an expert report in support of Californa's case in federal court case Rupp v. Bonta. The Col's report states:

The AR-15 and M4 are both designed to fire a .223 round that tumbles upon hitting flesh and rips thru the human body. A single round is capable of severing the upper body from the lower body, or decapitation. The round is designed to kill, not wound, and both the AR-15 and M4 contain barrel rifling to make the round tumble upon impact and cause more severe injury. The combination of automatic rifle and .223 round is a very efficient killing system. The same can be said of the AR-15.

The remainder of the article describes litigation, the reason for such testimony, and the true facts of the AR. It is an excellent article.

I tried to review the case on PACER, but it is a huge case. Case no.: 8:17-cv-00746

Oh for the opportunity to cross examine that guy. . .

Great. Now the MSM will use his quote to start saying that AR-15's will literally saw you in half!

Site Supporter
    The article describes where the "severing" of the body parts came from. Like I say, interesting read.

This sounds like some shit that only an officer, who probably never pulled the trigger in anger, would say.

If this is the same Colonel Tucker that was relieved of command at 29 Palms in 2005, then he definitely has no “user level” experience.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Site Supporter
    Thanks for link. Great summary of the issue.

Wait till you are on trial: Mr. Gun nut - was it your intention to saw this poor innocent lad in half when you fired multiple rounds of this terrible ammunition into him?

Aside - Dave Kopel is a great guy. Shot his Springfield TRP along with Gary Mauser at a conference.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Site Supporter
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    All this points to the need for:

1. Legislative protection at the Federal level against state AWBs. But that will never happen.

2. Scotus to make a clear and definitive statement that bans on semi auto rifles and handguns of any configuration and magazines for such of any capacity are unconstitutional. Maybe they will eventually do such but my position on the Bruen rule strategy is soaring through the clouds.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Am I missing something y'all saw? It seems to me the author is debunking many of the gun controller myths and lies.

He closes with this:

"We agree that AR rifles, like every firearm, are dangerous when misused. The notion that AR rifles are unusually powerful compared to other rifles is false. Wounds caused by the AR typically are not more serious or lethal than wounds caused by larger-caliber hunting rifles, shotguns, and even some powerful handguns. These are demonstrable facts, supported by genuine firearms and wound ballistics experts."

I took this to be a pro-AR-15 article... do I need more coffee?

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Am I missing something y'all saw? It seems to me the author is debunking many of the gun controller myths and lies.

He closes with this:

"We agree that AR rifles, like every firearm, are dangerous when misused. The notion that AR rifles are unusually powerful compared to other rifles is false. Wounds caused by the AR typically are not more serious or lethal than wounds caused by larger-caliber hunting rifles, shotguns, and even some powerful handguns. These are demonstrable facts, supported by genuine firearms and wound ballistics experts."

I took this to be a pro-AR-15 article... do I need more coffee?
    The anti gun portion is the retired Colonel’s affidavit in support of the state of CA. The article linked in the OP is meant to debunk that.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List