Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Noob Question

Have you zero’d the red red dot yet? I purchased a Venom a year ago and couldn’t get the dot zeroed. It shot about 6” low with the adjustments maxed out… on 2 different guns! I contacted Vortex and they recommended using a shim plate by UM Tactical. The shim solved the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
    Have you zero’d the red red dot yet? I purchased a Venom a year ago and couldn’t get the dot zeroed. It shot about 6” low with the adjustments maxed out… on 2 different guns! I contacted Vortex and they recommended using a shim plate by UM Tactical. The shim solved the problem.
    I have not. Will this weekend. I will try what everyone has suggested. Hopefully I will not have to contact them as you had to to did.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
    I purchased a Venom a year ago and couldn’t get the dot zeroed. It shot about 6” low with the adjustments maxed out… on 2 different guns! I contacted Vortex and they recommended using a shim plate by UM Tactical. The shim solved the problem.
    I'd have sent that one back to the factory...
    Total BS having to 1. Pay for a shim and 2. Create another gap under the optic that would need cleaning occasionally...
    No thank you.... Please take this one back and send me one that works correctly.

YMMV, of course, but, wow.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I'd have sent that one back to the factory...
    Total BS having to 1. Pay for a shim and 2. Create another gap under the optic that would need cleaning occasionally...
    No thank you.... Please take this one back and send me one that works correctly.

YMMV, of course, but, wow.
    If it was for a 1911, I could understand why it might need a shim plate. They appear to offer three different 1 degree shim plates.

https://www.umtactical.com/store/c22/OPTIC_SHIMS.html

It seems like I wasn’t the only person with this problem. The fact that Vortex customer Service was aware of the problem AND the solution seemed odd. Also, after reading all the comments on the UM Tac site proved that it was a common problem. In hindsight, I could have sent it back, but it has functioned fine with the shim. It now lives on my Ruger 22/45 which is just a range toy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Apologies if I blew right past the answer in a stickie thread or such and can point me there if so:

Decided to jump the shark and go into optics. Installing a Vortex Venom on an M&P compact (optic ready version).
    I initially installed it just to see if it would work, while in process of breaking pistol in before gunsmithing a barrel.

I placed it with one of the M&P plates and everything appears tight. However the sight appears to be extremely high. I lowered the point of aim as far as it would go and it appears still to be a foot or so high at 10 feet. I have not shot it with the site yet as I just received the pistol yesterday.

I was wondering if thats normal that the dot looks high relative to the normal front post sight? The iron sights were shooting vertically pretty well.
    I was wondering if I need to take the optic off an put it on again (maybe off in that manner), that the dot normally looks a lot higher, or if there may be an Optic glitch. I haven't shot an optic before so this is all a new field and test for me.
    How do you know it’s a foot high if you haven’t shot it? Are your irons cowitnessed to your specific optic?

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    How do you know it’s a foot high if you haven’t shot it? Are your irons cowitnessed to your specific optic?
    I shot it with the irons - 200 rounds (400 more to go then it goes off to the smith).

Later I was testing to see if the optic worked as a test (and if seeing it works with my eyes). I sighted up on a doorknob (a very technical test) with the iron sights and lowering to get the dot into view is where I came up with the "er is this a problem?" hence I was wondering if I had just put it on wrong. I'll shoot it 200 rounds more this weekend and if its super off in the real world then I'll take it off and try again or go from there.
    if it really is the dot will send back. But I like it and can actually see it.*

(when I take my glasses off its like a red street light on top my pistol weeee!)

User Tag List