Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: LA Mayor Signals Lowering Standards for New Police Recruits

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    But do you like tall women?
    Ummm. Yes. Natural red hair and big tits are a bonus..Glamazons... My wife knows and understands statistics, and me....not in our lifetime...

pat

Site Supporter
    Oops double post.
    Last edited by UNM1136; 03-01-2023 at 07:01 PM.

I had to endure 4 or 5 polygraphs over the years.

Only one told me I failed. Waco TX police. They said I "sell narcotics" and "beat my wife". I pointed out that was not married. They did not appreciate that. I told them my live in girl friend at the time (now my wife) would gladly come in and take a poly too, saying that I don't beat her. Nope.

So they make me come back the next day to test again.

"Did you intentionally lie on yesterdays test?" Nope (shows truth)
    "Do you intent to lie on todays test?" Nope (shows truth)
    "Do you sell narcotics?" Nope (tester says I am lying)
    "Did you intentionally lie on the last question?" Nope (shows truth)

I don't know what to say. I thought the poly was legit. Until I saw how it worked on me.

None of the other poly test said I sling dope or beat women. Because I don't do that. I passed the others I took.

I had a CI go missing in MX. He went south to arrange 400 kilos coming north. I got a distress call from him, and the line cut off when he was yelling for help... So we are looking for any sign of him for weeks down on the border. we never fully trusted him, so we begin to wonder if this is his way of getting free from working for us. we decide to bring in some of his family for a polygraph to see if they had heard from him.

We pick up his adult daughter. We give a list of questions to the poligrapher. He says, "these questions are no good. they are way too broad." We want to know more about questions. He says that broad "fishing" questions are never going to give good results. Things like " have you ever stolen anything from work?" will not give a good result. A specific question like "on March 12 of 2021, $573 was taken from the petty cash drawer in the front office. Did you take the $573 dollars?" will give a much more accurate reading on the test. We mentioned that our pre employment poly as nothing but fishing questions. He shrugged, laughed and said "yeah, those tests are useless"... So there you have it. our own agency poly graph guy said our pre employment tests are BS.

When my daughter tested for CBP, she was close to tears after the poly. she said they yell at them, call them liars, and really went overboard. she had to test again the second day and passed, but said she would never submit to a poly again.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Site Supporter
    My BiL was subjected to semi-regular (?) polys for his SC.... He tells a story of being once awakened by the test giver after he fell asleep in the chair, after a long day at the office. Guy says.... "Well Mr. Jones, either you are the best liar I've ever met, or, the most innocent person I've ever met."

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

@Gadfly

That's some miserable b.s. they put you and (especially) your daughter through. I've never seen such confrontational tactics utilized by a polygrapher. Would be grounds for invalidating the testing altogether.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    @Gadfly

That's some miserable b.s. they put you and (especially) your daughter through. I've never seen such confrontational tactics utilized by a polygrapher. Would be grounds for invalidating the testing altogether.
    Every CBP person i have asked about the Poly has said it was awful. We did not have one for INS/ICE/HSI... but now, all new HSI hires will have to be polygraphed. I hope we have improved our testing methods.

For what it is worth, Houston PD's test was not terrible, and Pasadena TX PD test was down right pleasant. The Pasadena guy was laid back and joked a lot... very low stress environment for a such test.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Site Supporter
    List of things people are trusted to do without a poly, in no particular order:
    - Protect SCOTUS justices
    - Run the federal witness protection program
    - Protect the fourth person in the presidential line of succession as s/he travels the world
    - Conduct criminal misconduct investigations into the FBI and federal prosecutors
    - Access any American's tax records in furtherance of criminal investigations
    - Fly armed on commercial airliners
    - Protect presidential candidates
    - Conduct criminal investigations concerning nuclear installations
    - Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    List of things people are trusted to do without a poly, in no particular order:
    - Protect SCOTUS justices
    - Run the federal witness protection program
    - Protect the fourth person in the presidential line of succession as s/he travels the world
    - Conduct criminal misconduct investigations into the FBI and federal prosecutors
    - Access any American's tax records in furtherance of criminal investigations
    - Fly armed on commercial airliners
    - Protect presidential candidates
    - Conduct criminal investigations concerning nuclear installations
    - Etc.
    They'll all have you to thank for the upcoming changes in policy.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    I had to endure 4 or 5 polygraphs over the years.

Only one told me I failed. Waco TX police. They said I "sell narcotics" and "beat my wife". I pointed out that was not married. They did not appreciate that. I told them my live in girl friend at the time (now my wife) would gladly come in and take a poly too, saying that I don't beat her. Nope.

So they make me come back the next day to test again.

"Did you intentionally lie on yesterdays test?" Nope (shows truth)
    "Do you intent to lie on todays test?" Nope (shows truth)
    "Do you sell narcotics?" Nope (tester says I am lying)
    "Did you intentionally lie on the last question?" Nope (shows truth)

I don't know what to say. I thought the poly was legit. Until I saw how it worked on me.

None of the other poly test said I sling dope or beat women. Because I don't do that. I passed the others I took.

I had a CI go missing in MX. He went south to arrange 400 kilos coming north. I got a distress call from him, and the line cut off when he was yelling for help... So we are looking for any sign of him for weeks down on the border. we never fully trusted him, so we begin to wonder if this is his way of getting free from working for us. we decide to bring in some of his family for a polygraph to see if they had heard from him.

We pick up his adult daughter. We give a list of questions to the poligrapher. He says, "these questions are no good. they are way too broad." We want to know more about questions. He says that broad "fishing" questions are never going to give good results. Things like " have you ever stolen anything from work?" will not give a good result. A specific question like "on March 12 of 2021, $573 was taken from the petty cash drawer in the front office. Did you take the $573 dollars?" will give a much more accurate reading on the test. We mentioned that our pre employment poly as nothing but fishing questions. He shrugged, laughed and said "yeah, those tests are useless"... So there you have it. our own agency poly graph guy said our pre employment tests are BS.

When my daughter tested for CBP, she was close to tears after the poly. she said they yell at them, call them liars, and really went overboard. she had to test again the second day and passed, but said she would never submit to a poly again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Every CBP person i have asked about the Poly has said it was awful. We did not have one for INS/ICE/HSI... but now, all new HSI hires will have to be polygraphed. I hope we have improved our testing methods.

For what it is worth, Houston PD's test was not terrible, and Pasadena TX PD test was down right pleasant. The Pasadena guy was laid back and joked a lot... very low stress environment for a such test.
    Agree on all re: Polygraphs. There's plenty of reason why they are not admissible in court. At best they're a prop to facilitate the polygrapher's interview skills (or lack thereof).

Re: Your daughter / CBP Polygraphs: Be glad that all they did. A co-worker's wife had to take a polygraph for a CBPO position. Polygrapher slips her a hotel key card and tells her if she wants to pass, meet him in his hotel room..... CBP OPR investigation resulted in the Polygrapher (contractor) getting fired but it seemed like this wasn't the first time he'd done this.

Here's another twist: If you (as a current LEO) apply to another agency, or another component within DHS and fail a polygraph it now results in an OPR investigation even if you are grandfathered from polygraph requirements in your current position.

The only thing a psych eval or polygraph can indicate is whether or not your personality is organized enough to tell a consistent lie, and if you can be intimidated into confession.
    My employment polygraph "indicated" deception about joining an anti-American organization(in 1990). The only thing I had ever joined-besides the Army- was the United States Fencing Association.
    Sigh.
    That should have been a career hint.

User Tag List