Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LA Mayor Signals Lowering Standards for New Police Recruits

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    In 1995 I literally failed LAPD's psych eval because I was too introverted...passed 3 psych Evals since then...one for my current agency, and two when my Academy Lieutenant decided to cut corners and use a non-recognized psychologist to do our psychs... had to do two then... passed both...

Glad I will mot likely have to do another in my career...kinda like polygraphs...voodoo at best...

pat
    I always found myself trying to outsmart the psych tests. Don't know if I did or not. Asking the same question three different ways is annoying at best.

Polygraph? No thank you. One of my partners was a very experienced polygrapher for ATF and then our outfit. I asked him to hook me up once while he was getting set up for an important session with a criminal defendant.

I told him I would answer absolutely honestly, (other than on baseline questions where he wanted me to fib), as long as he didn't ask anything too incriminating, and the results would remain private.

I answered completely honestly where applicable and it still showed (probable) "deception" on a couple of questions.

Yeah, I was cured of any further curiosity about potential results thereafter.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

In 1995 I literally failed LAPD's psych eval because I was too introverted...passed 3 psych Evals since then...one for my current agency, and two when my Academy Lieutenant decided to cut corners and use a non-recognized psychologist to do our psychs... had to do two then... passed both...

Glad I will mot likely have to do another in my career...kinda like polygraphs...voodoo at best...

pat
    I failed one for a medium size agency. It said I was too honest. I asked for an explanation and they got back to me saying no one is that honest you must be lying. Ok then.

Never got to take one at the State Police because as a white male my 97 on the entrance exam wasn't good enough.

The agency I ended up at didn't have a psych test, but did have a physical fitness test which only 2 of us passed.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    I failed one for a medium size agency. It said I was too honest. I asked for an explanation and they got back to me saying no one is that honest you must be lying. Ok then.

Never got to take one at the State Police because as a white male my 97 on the entrance exam wasn't good enough.

The agency I ended up at didn't have a psych test, but did have a physical fitness test which only 2 of us passed.
    Don't feel bad. My 100 on the NYPD test in 1978 wasn't good enough either. Wear it as a badge of honor.

(And I was top 2 or 3 in my academy class both scholastically and on the fitness testing after I came to my senses and went the federal route. Maybe they were all just dumb fat slobs.)

pat
    But do you like tall women?
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Double tapped
    Last edited by Coyotesfan97; 02-28-2023 at 04:52 PM.

Site Supporter
    Way back in the day, my former agency just had whoever did the physical throw in a couple of psych questions during the examination.

I don't think they ever really improved their occupational medicine program.

I didn't respond @Coyotesfan97 because I thought your asking the question twice meant it came straight from the psych profile.

pat
    I’ve taken two or three formal pysch tests. For awhile we had to go see the psychologist as a part of our SWAT test and get an exam. It was a pain and it eventually went away. We had one guy fail the SWAT pysch and it caused a little bit of a ruckus. It went away when it was submitted the pysch was for potential SWAT guys and not for experienced Officers.

One intersecting thing I remember from my Stats class was the instructor (who was a psychologist) talking about the standardized testing and how the parameters were changed depending on the job you were looking at. The other thing he mentioned was experienced cops and psychologists have the highest pathological deviancy of professions that has to be factored in when giving them pysch tests.

I had to take one polygraph exam for my hiring process. The whole process took three and a half hours. The examiner was, I’ll be kind an ansshole, and I walked out thinking well failed that one. I got hired though. I talked to other people who got polygraphed by the same guy. They all thought he was an asshole.

I knew one guy I worked with my whole career. The same polygraph guy failed him when was testing. He was going through the DPS hiring process. He passed their polygraph. Our hiring Sergeant spoked to him and arranged another exam with the other examiner. He passed that one and got hired.

I despise polygraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I didn't respond @Coyotesfan97 because I thought your asking the question twice meant it came straight from the psych profile.
    I would’ve had to post it three times at least. LOL

Federal Education No student left behind
    L.A.P.D. NO OFFICER LEFT BEHIND

Is there a correlation between the 2??

User Tag List