Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LA Mayor Signals Lowering Standards for New Police Recruits

I used to think the issues facing most LE were mostly training/equipment etc. I don't anymore. LE in a big city with bad policies, bad admin, zero support is extremely risky and hazardous to your freedom. LE needs to be paid accordingly. Pay 200k base with a 50k signing bonus and you might convince folks to take the leap.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    I would rather have 20 quality trainees, than 50 crappy trainees.
    I used to say that I'd rather work short-handed than have a full crew of idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Having worked the academy, one or two shit heads can bring a whole class down. Bad attitudes are contagious.
    Not just classes, but special units, patrol districts, or entire shifts. I worked with two guys that were a black cloud over anyone they worked with. They got shuffled around a lot, just to spread the love instead of fixing the problem kids. A good friend will work up to the collective standard. Put him with good people, and he'll keep up. Put him with slackers, and he's worthless.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

You get what you vote for.
    Good and hard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Los Angeles has already been down this road. I guess they’ve already forgotten the CRASH and Rampart scandals. I mean it’s not like there’s a recent example of lowering hiring standards like Memphis.
    History doesn't always repeat itself. But it often rhymes.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    I was having this discussion with a friend the other day, and I posed the question: is there ANYWHERE in the country where our current discussion of 'Police Reform' has included serious proposals of increasing/improving hiring standards? Because I'm not aware of a single case. I don't think 'reform' means what our citizens think it means.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    I don't think 'reform' means what our citizens think it means.
    Broken record, but it is difficult to raise the standards when you can't fill the ranks at the current standards

You can raise the pay, invest in equipment and maintain strict hiring standards. In the end, none of that will matter. When a profession exhibits leadership that's completely toxic, systematically removes any umbrella of legal protection for individuals and is rabidly hated and vilified by the society it's supposed to serve, no one in their right mind will touch it.

Sometimes the juice isn't worth the squeeze, especially when the fruit is rotten. We are currently witnessing the systematic and intentional destruction of Civilian law enforcement in this country. Within a decade it won't exist and will either be replaced by a national military police gendarme, or the emperor will be shown to have no clothes and we'll all be on our own in the jungle. Either way we're pretty screwed as a society.

China, Russia? Bah. We've met the real enemy, turns out he's us.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    replaced by a national military police gendarme
    I'll rock this no problem

Name:  PAMAS_G1.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  42.7 KB

But not this please

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  30.6 KB

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    You can raise the pay, invest in equipment and maintain strict hiring standards. In the end, none of that will matter. When a profession exhibits leadership that's completely toxic, systematically removes any umbrella of legal protection for individuals and is rabidly hated and vilified by the society it's supposed to serve, no one in their right mind will touch it.

Sometimes the juice isn't worth the squeeze, especially when the fruit is rotten. We are currently witnessing the systematic and intentional destruction of Civilian law enforcement in this country. Within a decade it won't exist and will either be replaced by a national military police gendarme, or the emperor will be shown to have no clothes and we'll all be on our own in the jungle. Either way we're pretty screwed as a society.

China, Russia? Bah. We've met the real enemy, turns out he's us.
    Rest assured, the Peacekeepers will 'Protect the Capitol!"

I keep warning my friends. You think you're voting for a 'Star Trek' future, but you're gonna get 'The Hunger Games'.

Site Supporter
    In 1995 I literally failed LAPD's psych eval because I was too introverted...passed 3 psych Evals since then...one for my current agency, and two when my Academy Lieutenant decided to cut corners and use a non-recognized psychologist to do our psychs... had to do two then... passed both...

Glad I will mot likely have to do another in my career...kinda like polygraphs...voodoo at best...

pat

User Tag List