Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LA Mayor Signals Lowering Standards for New Police Recruits

Site Supporter

LA Mayor Signals Lowering Standards for New Police Recruits

https://www.foxnews.com/us/la-mayor-...r-new-recruits

Saggau said the provision calls for the lowering of standards within the police department as new hires who did not initially qualify during training are shown not to "possess the mental fitness or the physical fitness ability to be a police officer."

"We [LAPPL] think it ought to be right-wing, left-wing, foreign and domestic," Saggau said. "We think that there are more organizations that members of law enforcement should not be associated with, other than the narrow group that was listed in that document."
    “Stop Resisting!”

Quote Originally Posted by BarneyCallahan View Post

Saggau said the provision calls for the lowering of standards within the police department as new hires who did not initially qualify during training are shown not to "possess the mental fitness or the physical fitness ability to be a police officer."

"We [LAPPL] think it ought to be right-wing, left-wing, foreign and domestic," Saggau said. "We think that there are more organizations that members of law enforcement should not be associated with, other than the narrow group that was listed in that document."
    I'm still on my first cup of coffee, but I'm lost. How did it go from you can't meet the standards so we'll lower them to affiliations with 'groups'? Is that journalistic word salad?

That's sure to end well.

Sadly, it's the future.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    That's sure to end well.

Sadly, it's the future.
    Wagner Group recruiting technique.... Lower the bar until you empower criminals to enforce the law... Or the will of the government, at least.

Lots of non-fiction versions already.... Also saw it in the movies a bunch of times..... Fifth Element was a great laugh.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BarneyCallahan View Post
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/la-mayor-...r-new-recruits

How in the hell do you graduate from college and think this poorly?

More proof that people actually get dumber going to college.

edit:

This is the PR firm that is leading this media campaign (to convince people it is a good idea):

https://saggau-derollo.com/tom-saggau-co-founder/

Keep checking them boxes...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

They need to start by enforcing literacy standards with the people writing articles like that one. JMO. As to LE, since we are in the LE forum and I necessarily need to post carefully, this thinking is indeed counter-productive. Does LA want a chance to beat Minneapolis’s record for payouts via their PD’s wrongful actions? Because this is how LA gets to beat Minneapolis to the top number. Again, JMO, IANALEO, etc.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Los Angeles has already been down this road. I guess they’ve already forgotten the CRASH and Rampart scandals. I mean it’s not like there’s a recent example of lowering hiring standards like Memphis.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    I'm still on my first cup of coffee, but I'm lost. How did it go from you can't meet the standards so we'll lower them to affiliations with 'groups'? Is that journalistic word salad?
    I would say it's accurate reporting. The new standards will prioritize "political reliability" above all else- straight out of the playbook of numerous totalitarian organizations throughout history.

I would rather have 20 quality trainees, than 50 crappy trainees.

Having worked the academy, one or two shit heads can bring a whole class down. Bad attitudes are contagious.

Lowering the standard has never increased the quality of a police force, it will only increase quantity of people hired. And that increase of lower quality officers will increase lawsuits over time. PAY YOUR OFFICERS BETTER, PAY FOR BETTER TRAINIG AND BETTER GEAR... these immediate costs, while high, are far lower than the long term cost of lawsuit payouts for wrongful death and use of force.

But hey, I am preaching to the choir here...
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

User Tag List