Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What is it About Revolvers and Older Pistols?

Site Supporter
    I have loved revolvers ever since the first centerfire gun I fired was a k-frame 38 snubnose. It just imprinted on me like a baby duck. But, from a practicality perspective, I'm just as well served by a Glock 48. I *like* the revolvers, but the Glock is what I strap on more often than not, even in the field.

Chris

For me it's more of the times that are associated with the object, in this case a revolver. Just think back to the introduction of S&W's first stainless steel revolver. Or the S&W model 59, a wonder nine. Or when Dirty Harry was making everyone's day with a model 29. Nostalgia indeed!!

On a similar note, but different subject matter. I was listening to the radio in my car and a Van Halen Power Ballad took me back as if I was in a time machine. Not really and Van Halen fan, but man, this song transported me back. Lyrics still run true today. Give is a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uhMCzTvV9Y

I keep cycling back and forth too. The truth is that I started out with revolvers and 1911s, and I'm very comfortable with both platforms. I have a half dozen plastic crunchentickers (V2.0) in the safe, and a respectable number of 1911s in Gods Caliber, but I'm a bit low on revolvers right now, only 3-4 and this is below my comfort level. All I can say is that DA revolvers and 1911s are the way I feel life is supposed to be. For some crazy reason I still want one of those 2 tone 2 inch 327s in 357 mag for a carry gun. Damn they're expensive right now.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    And Air-cooled motorcycles. Don't forget to add cooling fins and Kerkers to your list of things that make joyous noises unto everyone's favorite Lord...

(Says the guy with a hand cranker watch, maple acoustics, nos swedish tubes in his DIs, and a safe full of round things--several of which are older than himself...)
    Luddite!

I can identify...Kawasaki triples with Bill Wirges expansion chambers, and with the smell of Castrol-R!

Thanks for bringing back some great memories of fun times and the childhood I haven't fully left.

Oh; I also like revolvers and always read the P-F revolver forum. My thanks to all who have and continue to contribute.

-Rainman

Well some interesting turns here. For the record, my first pistol was a 4" S&W Mdl 13. It looked good and was good for a couple cylinders of .357, then the cylinder would lock up and become very hard to open. Ended up trading it off for the first of 2 Mini 14s, I had over the years. I switched to semi-autos as the Wonder nine age came into being.

The next S&W I picked from a pawn shop in Fayetteville NC, after i came back from Desert Storm. It was a 2.5 inch Mdl 19. Cool looking revolver, until the barrel came unscrewed. Quickly lost my love for that one. There was a 6" Security Six, a couple of J-Frames in .32 S&W Long (really wish I had kept that one) and .38s. Then I bought a Colt Agent a retired Postal Inspector. It was his back up piece and he even told me it loved the 130gr Federal Nyclads. And he was right!!! It really did. Revolvers were dead at that point. LE had complete moved to SAs in 9mm and .40. But I carried that old Colt a lot. That was the only pistol I ever pointed at someone, with intent to defend myself. Fortunately, i didn't have to use it. Wish I still had that one, but I found something else I wanted more, so off it went.

I went revolverless for several years afterwards. But now I'm back. Still mostly carry semi-autos. But every now and then, I get nostalgic and the 442 slips back into a holster or a pocket along with a couple of speed strips. And I carry a Taurus 627 Tracker when I hike and camp. Starting to look favorably on Taurus 856 Defender with the 3" barrel. Could be my next purchase. Or it might be a used S&W mdl 64-6 that's located in Upper East Tennessee. Not sure I really want another 4" though. So I'm setting on it right now. I like collecting old things. And I like shooter guns. Don't really care for collector items. If I own them, then they get shot. Revolvers feel like old friends to me now. They have a soul that most of the new pistols don't have. So I come here gloss through the Semi-Auto section and read everything in the Revolver section and I learn from y'all.

Other things I'm interested in are old Barlow knives, other folding knives and believe it or not, old compasses. So when my wife and I go antiquing, those are some of the things I look for, along with old holsters and leather shooting accessories.

As for manual transmissions, their fun to drive fast, but they suck in stop and go traffic, so you can have them. At a couple of months shy of 60, I've graduated to full time automatics, even in sports cars!

Site Supporter
    For whatever reason, I just shoot K frames in .38 Special better than any of my autoloaders...well, right up until that seventh shot. I usually carry an autoloader for the capacity, but I'm always arguing with myself about "what's the chance of needing a more-than-two-bad-guy gun" with the places a 71-year-old guy goes who's in bed by 2130 every night? The internal struggle is real! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    For whatever reason, I just shoot K frames in .38 Special better than any of my autoloaders...well, right up until that seventh shot. I usually carry an autoloader for the capacity, but I'm always arguing with myself about "what's the chance of needing a more-than-two-bad-guy gun" with the places a 71-year-old guy goes who's in bed by 2130 every night? The internal struggle is real! LOL
    We aren't exactly operators or federal marshals, are we?

I just built my own combat cane. I still carry but it's a model 36 most of the time. Not a lot of fire power there. Just keep a respectful distance.....or die.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Just sold a plastic fantastic today and picked up another for a new carry gun. I have a few more to liquidate and there are several that I'll keep but I'm "restructuring" my safe contents to an extent.

I have 4 Glocks now and will acquire 2 or 3 more, but those are just game guns so they don't really count. The new carry gun is a tool, it will get modded, carried and abused by shooting the living shit out of it if all goes to plan.

I'm going a different direction with the guns that bring me enjoyment. They will be limited to interesting revolvers, 1911s, Sig P2xx autos (especially the Swiss made P210 I have yet to acquire), Beretta autos and a Walther or two. The plastic HKs will remain but the rest will be just for pure fun.

Do you mean other than class, beauty and certain sense of just out-and-out style? I have no idea.

For serious fighting? Glock every time, thank you. But how do you beat hot dipped blue with nitre blue on the same piece? Throw in some old time color cased hardening, get the fuck out with that ugly Glock.

But I'm them too.

Site Supporter
    Discontinued guns often become sought after. One example is that group of Winchester long guns discontinued after 1963/64. Two other examples are certain Colt, S&W, and Ruger products. In my area like used but like new K frames, all J frames, and many older Colt revolvers dropped in value during the 1980's and 90's. Fortunately I bought and kept a large number at low prices. Collector value was not my motivation. I just liked them. Today these guns are trendy, and for this reason a band wagon exists. Too the internet fans this flame. People with money are constantly driving up prices on fine specimens in the same way that the rich are driving up land prices. On forums people influence each other to buy all this stuff. Speaking of PF'ers, most appreciate these older revolvers which I too like. Nostalgia is a factor. Appreciation of a well built revolver is another. I have two new Model 10's. One is unfired. I will give it my 12 year old cousin. I grew up with his grandfather who hunts and fishes and shoots with him several times per week. The Model 10 will go to GrandPa and then given to boy to use. The plan is that the revolver will stay at Grandpa's, and the boy as he hunts and fishes in this rural wilderness will carry it and then return it to the old man.

User Tag List