Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What is it About Revolvers and Older Pistols?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    It’s all about the “Snick!”. That smooth metal on metal noise that revolvers and old school autos make when you manipulate them. Modern “Plastic People Poppers” make more of a “Thock!” due to the Polygodknowswhat sounding board of a grip. The Snick! evokes memories of smooth whisky and cigar smoke beside fireplace. The Thock ain’t natural.

I started out as a cop in the 80’s with a 1911, moved to revolvers by choice and then my second department issued them by policy. I know that I’m more efficient shooting a modern gun but the old stuff just more pleasing to carry.
    “Snick”? I like it. The Glock thock is hollow-sounding to me.

It’s like the difference between the “thwack” of a wood bat on a baseball vs the “clank” of aluminum.

“Thwack” is pleasing to the ear (unless you’re the pitcher), while the “clank” is irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Are we at the point where Beretta 92s are older pistols?

Because Langdon Tactical has made the Beretta 92 perhaps my favorite gun of all time.
    I don't think we are the point where the Beretta 92 is an older pistol since it is still in service with the US Army and various police agencies.

Judging by the content of this thread and the fact that it is located in the Revolver category, I think we are talking about certain revolvers and models of revolver that have not been made for a while.

I am not sure what the cutoff date is. I am not sure that my S&W 686 CS-1 round butt revolvers with a 3" and a 4" barrel qualify. Even though they are from a special run from the US Customs Service in 1988, they might be too new for this thread.

Not much more to add, save for: I bought the book too.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Lots of good thoughts above on revolvers. I'm carrying one now, but for purposes of this thread I'll use photography as a metaphor.

Way back in high school I worked as a photojournalist, when that was still a good way to make decent money, way more than was possible at any of the standard young person retail jobs. I wore out a couple of Nikons and used to buy 35mm film in 100 foot rolls. It was a job, it paid well, the camera was a tool and film was at that time the only option.

I transitioned to digital when it became practical but never completely gave up on film. These days it's for fun not for money, I still shoot both though. Digital when peak efficiency and rapid post-production matters, which isn't all that often. Film when I'm not in a hurry, or just in that mood. Each has advantages and disadvantages.

Why both? Because film forces me to slow down, to pre-visualize the image, to think and not just point and shoot. Shooting analog makes me a better digital photographer. Oh, and the old 1969 Leica M4 body is an amazing piece of industrial art, fun to use in a hard to explain way. Not at all unlike certain old revolvers.

There's a group of millennials here in town who have re-discovered analog, kids who came up in the digital age and think analog is cool. I'm having a blast mentoring some of them, as with many things there's a lot of derp on the internet and they want to learn the right way to do this so badly, sort the good info from the bad.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    Lots of good thoughts above on revolvers. I'm carrying one now, but for purposes of this thread I'll use photography as a metaphor.

Way back in high school I worked as a photojournalist, when that was still a good way to make decent money, way more than was possible at any of the standard young person retail jobs. I wore out a couple of Nikons and used to buy 35mm film in 100 foot rolls. It was a job, it paid well, the camera was a tool and film was at that time the only option.

I transitioned to digital when it became practical but never completely gave up on film. These days it's for fun not for money, I still shoot both though. Digital when peak efficiency and rapid post-production matters, which isn't all that often. Film when I'm not in a hurry, or just in that mood. Each has advantages and disadvantages.

Why both? Because film forces me to slow down, to pre-visualize the image, to think and not just point and shoot. Shooting analog makes me a better digital photographer. Oh, and the old 1969 Leica M4 body is an amazing piece of industrial art, fun to use in a hard to explain way. Not at all unlike certain old revolvers.

There's a group of millennials here in town who have re-discovered analog, kids who came up in the digital age and think analog is cool. I'm having a blast mentoring some of them, as with many things there's a lot of derp on the internet and they want to learn the right way to do this so badly, sort the good info from the bad.
    I grew up with film and only switched to digital around 2009ish. Before Covid, I got interested in pinhole photography and bought a 4x5 pinhole camera to shoot direct positive paper in. That led to a 4x5 press camera, then fully back into film on 35mm.

Digital is demonstrably better, but I *like* using the old film cameras and especially like the funky emulsions the smaller shops are coming out with these days. The easy perfection of digital frees me up to enjoy these odd films. Yeah, I can do the same in digital with PS or something, but I like not having to spend more time in front of the computer.

I currently have:
    Canon FT with 50/1.4 and 28/3.5
    Canon New F-1 with 50/1.8 and a fungus-ridden 28/2.0 (I'm getting ready to tear down and clean the 28)
    Canon VT rangefinder with 50/1.8 and Voigtlander 35/2.5
    Rollei A110 (110 camera)
    Kodak Hawkeye Instamatic 110 (also 110)
    Kodak Brownie Hawkeye for 120 film

The youngest camera in the bunch is the F-1, which dates back to the early 80s. The rest are from the 50s, 60s, and 70s.

It's a sickness, just like revolvers.

Chris

On the topic of older revolvers, here is a picture of my S&W Model 14-2 Hanen Special. The best description I could find for this gun is written by Dagga Boy "Made in 1965 for the Dayton Gun Headquarters in Dayton, Ohio and is called a “Hanen Special”. These were a very unique special run of revolvers made by Smith & Wesson that combined the attributes of the Model 14 and Model 15 Revolvers together that were both variations of their parent K-38 revolvers. The Model 14’s were normally a 6” heavy barrel target revolver with a Patridge style target sight and are exceptional target revolvers. The Model 15 was a medium barrel version of the K-38 that used a Baughman style front sight and were usually a 2”-4” barreled gun. The Model 14 was more of a target gun and the Model 15 a Police or Combat gun. The “Hanen Special” is a unique hybrid. It uses the same frame as the normal model 14 and 15, but then uses a very heavy bull target style barrel that is actually thicker than a model 14 and a Baughman combat sight is mounted like a Model 15”. You get the benefit of a combat guns sights and size with the accuracy and balance of a target gun. These also used the narrower serrated standard trigger and hammer rather than the wide target models making them better when shot Double Action rather than cocked into single action."

Name:  Hanen Special - Copy.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  49.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    Judging by the content of this thread and the fact that it is located in the Revolver category, I think we are talking about certain revolvers and models of revolver that have not been made for a while.

I am not sure what the cutoff date is. I am not sure that my S&W 686 CS-1 round butt revolvers with a 3" and a 4" barrel qualify. Even though they are from a special run from the US Customs Service in 1988, they might be too new for this thread.
    My take is that any revolver is old technology, including my 3” WC GP100 in 10mm. I still have to swing open a cylinder, insert cartridges (albeit in a moonclip), close the cylinder, manually cycle the action to fire, and open the cylinder to eject it’s contents. Archaic and slow as molasses to anyone born in the 80’s.

The OP mentions “1911s, BHP and milsurp” autos, I’d say the Beretta 92’s status as a golden oldie might depend on your date of birth in relation to its date of adoption.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    A perfect example of why it’s a bad idea.

I wonder how many besides you, Ed L and myself know who Larry Davis is without google ?
    Funny that Larry Davis should be mentioned: https://nypost.com/2023/03/03/nypd-s...larry-retires/.
    Last edited by Ed L; 03-04-2023 at 10:27 AM.

The Beretta 92 wasn't in service when I was, so for me it's just another bottom feeder. Generational thing, no doubt. For me there has to be a major technological shift to make something truly old, like a vehicle with a clutch or a camera that uses film. The technological shift for handguns was probably when more pistols were being built than revolvers. I'm not sure when that was but I think it was prior to the 70's, given the number of 1911's built in WW2.

That would be an interesting topic to discuss.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I grew up with film and only switched to digital around 2009ish. Before Covid, I got interested in pinhole photography and bought a 4x5 pinhole camera to shoot direct positive paper in. That led to a 4x5 press camera, then fully back into film on 35mm.

Digital is demonstrably better, but I *like* using the old film cameras and especially like the funky emulsions the smaller shops are coming out with these days. The easy perfection of digital frees me up to enjoy these odd films. Yeah, I can do the same in digital with PS or something, but I like not having to spend more time in front of the computer.

I currently have:
    Canon FT with 50/1.4 and 28/3.5
    Canon New F-1 with 50/1.8 and a fungus-ridden 28/2.0 (I'm getting ready to tear down and clean the 28)
    Canon VT rangefinder with 50/1.8 and Voigtlander 35/2.5
    Rollei A110 (110 camera)
    Kodak Hawkeye Instamatic 110 (also 110)
    Kodak Brownie Hawkeye for 120 film

The youngest camera in the bunch is the F-1, which dates back to the early 80s. The rest are from the 50s, 60s, and 70s.

It's a sickness, just like revolvers.

Chris
    A few classics... photographed with my iPhone, because that's faster and more efficient.

Name:  IMG_0734.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  74.4 KB

The cameras are not my original ones, I wore the finish down to brass on those before selling them. These are later acquisitions in much better condition.

User Tag List