Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fugitive Task Force

Site Supporter

Fugitive Task Force

While I doubt my current employer is going to assign me to either, but can anyone explain the distinction between an FBI Fugitive Task Force and a Marshals Service Task Force? Is there a difference in mission or is it the resources and interest of individual SAC's and District Marshals? Thanks and be safe.

Not much of a difference. The are a few reasons the Marshals and FBI don’t typically work fugitive cases together, but one of them is because it would be a duplication of resources.

Marshals get in more shootings. Marshals may or may not play a little fast and loose with the 4th Amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Not much of a difference. The are a few reasons the Marshals and FBI don’t typically work fugitive cases together, but one of them is because it would be a duplication of resources.

Marshals get in more shootings. Marshals may or may not play a little fast and loose with the 4th Amendment.
    They've turned you. I was afraid this day would come.

There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    They've turned you. I was afraid this day would come.

Ha!

There’s been a huge turnover at the Marshals office here and I’ve been aggravated with the new guys for a while.

Not much of a difference.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the FBI fugitive "task forces" are fewer and farther between, ad hoc and specific only to FBI cases; they do not assimilate fugitive cases or even routine (non-fugitive) warrant service from other state/local/federal agencies as a public service, unlike the Marshals. Two totally different purposes.

That's the way I understood it, at least.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    In my county the Marshall's sometime work with the sheriff's office or city police department. Years ago there were regional task forces composed of members from various agencies. Emphasis was drug enforcement. After grant funds dried up, so did the task forces.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the FBI fugitive "task forces" are fewer and farther between, ad hoc and specific only to FBI cases; they do not assimilate fugitive cases or even routine (non-fugitive) warrant service from other state/local/federal agencies as a public service, unlike the Marshals. Two totally different purposes.

That's the way I understood it, at least.
    Nah, there are still full-time fugitive guys in the bureau. There aren’t as many as years ago because FBI has backed off the fugitive mission somewhat, but it’s still a thing in some offices.

FBI can and does adopt local fugitive cases, but I’m sure the frequency varies from office to office. Sometimes this is done through obtaining a UFAP warrant, though it doesn’t necessarily have to be.

The Marshals have made some policy changes in recent years that I’m not a fan of. I still have a fugitive on the run in another state because I made the mistake of signing the case over to them and they screwed up.

I work a lot of fugitives, and avoid the Marshals if at all possible. All the good ones around here retired or transferred because of lousy supervision.

I work a lot of fugitives, and avoid the Marshals if at all possible. All the good ones around here retired or transferred because of lousy supervision.
    That has been the case with many agencies over the years. Years ago, when ATF and the Marshals had some notoriety over management issues, many agents jumped ship and ended up with a couple of the agencies I worked for.

When Customs was the hot location for agents wanting to jump ship from other outfits back in the 80's, the other agencies started to demand MOUs (memoranda of understanding) to try to keep Customs from poaching their talent.

My old outfit held off promoting me for a while because they were concerned I was going to leave, and made me vow that I wasn't going to...but I had already been recruited by Customs and left to join them a few months later (following the promotion). I never regretted the move, though Customs had its own warts.

Too bad about the current Marshals issues. I'd have enjoyed working their fugitive cases, but no way could I survive the courtroom duty.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Too bad about the current Marshals issues. I'd have enjoyed working their fugitive cases, but no way could I survive the courtroom duty.
    From the outside looking in, I think that’s an issue there. Everyone wants to be Tommy Lee Jones when they sign up, but most end up as well-paid jailers for a lot of the time.

From the outside looking in, I think that’s an issue there. Everyone wants to be Tommy Lee Jones when they sign up, but most end up as well-paid jailers for a lot of the time.
    Shouldn't be a problem too much longer. They just created a new position to handle most prisoner duties. My understanding is the straw that broke the camels back was from the national depolicing effort, state/locals have backed off the Marshals RTFs dramatically. Here in DC, the RTF is a shell of what it was just 5 years ago. So, they should be pumping more DUSMs into the RTFs instead of the former model where the Marshals were commonly only the team leads, with the majority of team members being state/local.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List