Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting fashion?

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Those fabric shoes are pretty dangerous IMO. I have a pair of Addidas like that and it’s way too easy to twist an ankle in them. They’re just too pliable. Comfortable walking though.

Topsiders laced tight are more stable.

I train with guys who run around blacktop, gravel, brush, etc in Vans Old Schools. I don’t know if they’re tough or just lucky, but I would have shredded my feet in them.
    Don't forget that the #1 choice of footwear around the world for hard bush, jungle, mountains, ect is the humble flip-flop.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I have pretty wide paws, and the Keen shoes and boots fit me pretty well.

They are usually below a hundred when you catch them on sale. They last a good bit, and don't make you a slip and fall hazard like George mentioned.

They are stocked at Cabela's so you can try them on.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoresy View Post
    It's not exactly the same, but I've gone to LockLaces on a lot of my laced shoes (e.g. running shoes, Chucks, GoRuck MACV-1). I've had exactly one failure over the last several years of using them, on a pair of work boots.
    I was going to suggest the same. I have swapped to them on all my shoes, including the dress shoe version.

I bought some North Face shoes a few years ago that I like a lot. They are really versatile but probably not enough tread to be used on anything more rugged than a a relatively smooth trail. As always happens when I find any kind of clothing and want to buy more, it looks like they don't make the same model anymore, but this is the closest replacement. The upper is kind of like a sock (no separate tongue) so you would need to get the sizing just right.

https://www.thenorthface.com/en-us/m...7W5U?color=QK8
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Don't forget that the #1 choice of footwear around the world for hard bush, jungle, mountains, ect is the humble flip-flop.
    I suppose a lack of streets keeps you from being kilt in one.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by NWshooter View Post
    I wear this shirt and everyone leaves me alone

Attachment 101868
    I'd rock that.
    #RESIST

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I’ve been wearing these Salomon’s for over 5 years now pretty regularly. Outdoor and “daily” use. (I have leather “work boots” for doing knarly tasks.). They have held up very well. I just noticed that the back edge of the sole is starting to delaminate a bit due to uneven wear and my goofy gait. Can’t complain tho. They attach well to snowshoes and along with a pair of gaiters, is the only thing I need providing the snow isn’t above my knees. I think the treads are fine. I’ve had zero issues with slipping on all sorts of surfaces.

Name:  58889314-BE03-44A4-96F7-9C9EF30EDB94.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  69.8 KB
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

I tried on Adidas and Merrell trail type running shoes (like my current Salomons) and recoiled in horror. The other brands felt like bricks compared to my Salomons.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I tried on Adidas and Merrell trail type running shoes (like my current Salomons) and recoiled in horror. The other brands felt like bricks compared to my Salomons.
    I agree. Salomons fit me really well. Merrell seems like a step down in quality, and Adidas' styling and fit are baffling--hit and miss in both.

Since I'm boycotting Nike for their wokeness, I'm not sure what I'll buy next for my running shoes. Mrs. CF loves her New Balance, and goes through a couple pairs a year. I may try some.

I recently bought a pair of La Sportiva Nucleo trail boots, and they exceeded expectations. (Coincidentally, both instructors of the NODS carbine course I took showed up with those boots). I could try some La Sportiva trail runners...

Or, I could just keep buying Salomons and be super careful on smooth wet surfaces? Nope.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

After a little research, the La Sportiva Mutant trail shoe looks really promising.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I agree. Salomons fit me really well. Merrell seems like a step down in quality, and Adidas' styling and fit are baffling--hit and miss in both.

Since I'm boycotting Nike for their wokeness, I'm not sure what I'll buy next for my running shoes. Mrs. CF loves her New Balance, and goes through a couple pairs a year. I may try some.

I recently bought a pair of La Sportiva Nucleo trail boots, and they exceeded expectations. (Coincidentally, both instructors of the NODS carbine course I took showed up with those boots). I could try some La Sportiva trail runners...

Or, I could just keep buying Salomons and be super careful on smooth wet surfaces? Nope.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Late to the party.

To answer the question-Salomons are much more Hiker Hank than Tactical Teddy, particularly in any Non-Black color.

A Bit of a ramble follows.

Salomon has many well thought out offerings in both Goretex and non GTX models. A bit of research needs to be done before buying/wearing. i.e. the USMS Fug Ap. Team here was wearing Speed Crosses. While comfortable for many, their nubby sole is not long-lasting in an urban concrete/hard tile floor kind of environment.
    https://www.us-elitegear.com/product...cross-6-forces

I concur that the Terrex line from Adidas is solid as is the old Merrell Moab and similar offerings from Scarpa, Salewa, Lowa etc. Sub 100.00 can be sometimes be achieved with a bit of a sharp pencil.

I have scouted with folks who have had good luck with Oboz in this space. The default rec from wide footed folks tends to be New Balance and Keen.

I have parted ways with Solomon because they are now owed by a PRC conglomerate ( as is Arcteryx btw). As such, there are functional equivalents being sold at the same or similar prices by companies that are not PRC owned, let alone PRC manufactured.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anta_Sports

If you are just knocking around, any of the brands mentioned to date, particularly when paired with a quality merino sock ( Kirkland/Costco, Smartwool, Darn Tough, IceBreaker, etc.) will work just fine for fashion.
    In a more specific application, match the sole to what you will be walking/hiking/running on the most. Buy quality, cry once.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

User Tag List