Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Shooting fashion?

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Those fabric shoes are pretty dangerous IMO. I have a pair of Addidas like that and it’s way too easy to twist an ankle in them. They’re just too pliable. Comfortable walking though.

Topsiders laced tight are more stable.

I train with guys who run around blacktop, gravel, brush, etc in Vans Old Schools. I don’t know if they’re tough or just lucky, but I would have shredded my feet in them.
    I think foot health/durability is just one of those very individual things. I have run miles on blacktop and hiked plenty of graded gravel in Van's and the Merrell Vapor Glove (minimalist trail shoe). No problem for me, but I wouldn't expect that for most.
    Last edited by Joe S; 03-02-2023 at 11:14 AM.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    A year or two back, after a thread here, I picked up a couple pairs of Altama Maritime Assault shoes. They’re comfy and have worn like iron. Their soles have lost some of their “Tier 1 stealthiness” however and have become somewhat hardened for some reason. To the point where one pair sounds like I’m practically wearing wooden clogs when I walk. It’s enough to get you kilt in da streets....
    How's the ankle support on those? Good brace or easy to roll one?
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post

Sewn on construction ( Goodyear welt or otherwise) has given way to glue on soles across the dress/casual/hiking boot continuum approaching 300USD retail.

I get that glue on soles mean footwear that is often lighter, requires less less break in etc. It is also more cheaply made and not as long lasting. The glues and "rubbers" bonded to each other have a finite life, even when well taken care of and rotated.

In short, if a shoe has a glued on sole, dress, hiking, casual, running or otherwise, it is a consumable. Buying two pair and alternating wears is a fine strategy, as is never wearing the same pair of shoes two days in a row unless traveling. But, any glued on shoe has an end date which often reveals itself very quickly, with little to no warning. Maybe that was not always the case but it sure is now.
    Absolutely agree. I consider anything glued together (including my beloved Vans and Salomons) to be consumable.

On the other hand, my made in the USA, stitch-down or goodyear welt construction footwear are a different breed. That's why I love my stuff from Danner, Allen Edmonds, and Thursday Boot Co, despite their much higher price tag and the much longer initial break in.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    How's the ankle support on those? Good brace or easy to roll one?

They’re tactical Keds. Zero support. The low ones I carry around in my suitcase on the road, the ankle ones I wear around the house. I wouldn’t contemplate climbing anything higher than a step ladder with them.

They HAVE worn like iron tho. The soles are barely worn down. Like mentioned above, the coyote colored ones are now noisy. They grey ones notsomuch. Categorize them as “casual Tier 1 footwear”. Lol
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    Historically, I've burned through Salomons at a rate of about one pair a year, with the sole basically going totally flat. So if you've gotten 18 months out of them, I'd say you're doing pretty well.
    I don't wear them every day. If I am working at the range, and it will be cold or wet, they get worn. But they are not my daily drivers, as in south Texas, its mostly hot and sticky. They get brought out 3-5 days a month on average. I have some Salomon sneakers that are GTX for every day wear if its wet/rainy and I am not working at the range/wearing a uniform type set up.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post

On the other hand, my made in the USA, stitch-down or goodyear welt construction footwear are a different breed. That's why I love my stuff from Danner, Allen Edmonds, and Thursday Boot Co, despite their much higher price tag and the much longer initial break in.
    I got a pair of Thursday boots in December. At the start of the year we began a pretty big renovation project at the factory. By Feb 2, I split the sole. I was in a bind not having a spare pair of boots,so I dried it out, applied shoe goo and taped the shoe tightly to help it bond while it dried.

This was my first Thursday boot and I’m contemplating going back to redwing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would contact Thursday about that.

Still, worth bearing in mind that Thursdays aren't Nick's (or White's or Wescos or any of the other PNW shoemakers). But they aren't priced like Nick's, either.
    And remember when demons and beasts cast their darkness, you have God's love - and Browning's wrath - to guide you.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'd rock that.
    I got you, bossman.

https://www.redbubble.com/i/t-shirt/...47528552.WFLAH

https://www.spreadshirt.com/shop/des...appearance=251
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    They’re tactical Keds. Zero support. The low ones I carry around in my suitcase on the road, the ankle ones I wear around the house. I wouldn’t contemplate climbing anything higher than a step ladder with them.

They HAVE worn like iron tho. The soles are barely worn down. Like mentioned above, the coyote colored ones are now noisy. They grey ones notsomuch. Categorize them as “casual Tier 1 footwear”. Lol
    Same story and exactly the same experience.

Meanwhile, for an upcoming adventure, I'll be bringing them and two pairs of salomons. Not planning on packing any of them for the trip back.
    Last edited by randyho; 03-03-2023 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I got a pair of Thursday boots in December. At the start of the year we began a pretty big renovation project at the factory. By Feb 2, I split the sole. I was in a bind not having a spare pair of boots,so I dried it out, applied shoe goo and taped the shoe tightly to help it bond while it dried.

This was my first Thursday boot and I’m contemplating going back to redwing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's disappointing. I like Thursday, but for heavy duty use I think I'd veer towards one of the heritage work boot makers.

User Tag List