Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting fashion?

Site Supporter
    Regarding lacing systems, I wish more non-specialty boots came with the Boa lacing system. I first came across that on a pair of winter mountain bike boots (Lakes), but recently bought a pair of Cabelas Snow Runner Max boots with them. I love being able to quickly and easily adjust lacing tension after being on my feet for a awhile. The boots are great too except the first pair's toe shield started to peel away from the boot, but Cabelas replaced them without question. If the replacements hold up, they may be the best winter boots I've ever owned. They're about a quarter pound per boot heavier than my Merrils, but 3/4lb lighter than my previous winter hunting boots. The sole is nice and grippy and sheds mud great.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Is that all Salomons? If so, I'll scratch them off my list for future consideration. Too many damp rocks and logs around here.

Chris
    Different models have different compounds used on the outsole, along with lug design: https://www.salomon.com/en-us/storie...hat-contagripr

Pick your footwear according to the function they are designed for, not just based off the brand.

Unfortunately, too many brands use rubber and sole patterns that are simply crap on wet surfaces.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Regarding lacing systems, I wish more non-specialty boots came with the Boa lacing system. I first came across that on a pair of winter mountain bike boots (Lakes), but recently bought a pair of Cabelas Snow Runner Max boots with them. I love being able to quickly and easily adjust lacing tension after being on my feet for a awhile. The boots are great too except the first pair's toe shield started to peel away from the boot, but Cabelas replaced them without question. If the replacements hold up, they may be the best winter boots I've ever owned. They're about a quarter pound per boot heavier than my Merrils, but 3/4lb lighter than my previous winter hunting boots. The sole is nice and grippy and sheds mud great.

Chris
    It's not exactly the same, but I've gone to LockLaces on a lot of my laced shoes (e.g. running shoes, Chucks, GoRuck MACV-1). I've had exactly one failure over the last several years of using them, on a pair of work boots.
    Grab your gun and bring in the cat.

Chris
    The Cabelas Snow Runner boots are hard to beat. They are a favorite of mine. I got six years out of the first pair, in snow and ice down to -30 F.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Will my Sketchers slip ons with memory foam get me kilt in da streetz? Is there a tactical disadvantage to Topsiders?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoresy View Post
    It's not exactly the same, but I've gone to LockLaces on a lot of my laced shoes (e.g. running shoes, Chucks, GoRuck MACV-1). I've had exactly one failure over the last several years of using them, on a pair of work boots.
    Thanks. I found them on Amazon and added them to the wish list. Might have to give them a try on my Merrill boots.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    The Cabelas Snow Runner boots are hard to beat. They are a favorite of mine. I got six years out of the first pair, in snow and ice down to -30 F.
    I'm hoping the minor failure I experienced was a fluke. They literally started to come apart on my first major use (after a couple short hikes to break them in). They're very comfy, grip well, and the Boa system is awesome on field boots. I wish that was more widely available.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Different models have different compounds used on the outsole, along with lug design: https://www.salomon.com/en-us/storie...hat-contagripr

Pick your footwear according to the function they are designed for, not just based off the brand.
    True, but I have wonky feet, so I have to pick footwear based on fit and support first. I was looking through the Salomon offerings and it doesn't look like what I want is available with the sole I'd want.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Will my Sketchers slip ons with memory foam get me kilt in da streetz? Is there a tactical disadvantage to Topsiders?

Those fabric shoes are pretty dangerous IMO. I have a pair of Addidas like that and it’s way too easy to twist an ankle in them. They’re just too pliable. Comfortable walking though.

Topsiders laced tight are more stable.

I train with guys who run around blacktop, gravel, brush, etc in Vans Old Schools. I don’t know if they’re tough or just lucky, but I would have shredded my feet in them.

User Tag List