Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Vortex Defender CCW Optic

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Last time I was paying attention, the Naval Research Lab (NRL) had a substantial research program on batteries, including non-rechargeable.
    No shit? I was a GS-7 intern there in the ECM/ECCM group in 1981. Fun times.

Quote Originally Posted by gskip View Post
    So I've had this for about a month now, and I freaking love it. It's the first mini red dot that actually feels full sized (it gives me the same feel as a RMR).

Brightness:
    It's as bright as a RMR. Brighter than holosuns. Most holosuns can get to the "down 1" setting of the RMR, but this gets all the way up there.

Window size:
    The window is noticeably larger than the holosun 407k. It really feels like looking through a clear RMR sizewise.

Glass clarity:
    No blue tint. Very clear and clean, like a deltapoint.

Mounting system:
    Holy crap it comes with about 10 sets of screws for every single gun in the world. They are nice Torx screws too, so you dont have to buy the dot, then scroll around the internet looking for the size of screws for your gun. It also direct mounts to the Glock slimline MOS system (43x/48), the S&W Shield, and the Sig 365. It's great.

I would 100% choose this over any other K optic.

The only negative the defender has, is the refresh rate of the dot is a little slow. When the dot is dim, you can notice it. When the dot is full brightness, you don't see it.

It's literally better than the holosun k by every metric that I can think of. Especially when it's on the market for $250.

I really don't think you NEEEEED to have a enclosed emitter for CCW. Your belly lint is the only environmental hazard this thing is getting exposed to.

Background:

USPSA Open/Limited A Class/UML Pro/IDPA Master/LE 8 years in a large metro area with 3 years SWAT
    Thanks for the review! Do you have any updates after another month has gone by? Still feel the same? Any thoughts on battery life yet? How about flair or phantom dots in weird sun angles?

Also, you maybe shouldn't underestimate the seriousness of my belly lint situation. I don't know how so much fuzz winds up in my holsters. It's unnatural and weird.

I'm torn between trying this new Vortex and an EPS carry with anti belly lint lens technology.

Interesting. The 507K I have for the Shield Plus is just not working out. With the plate is won't stay tight no matter how I mount it.

This being a direct mount it might be worth a try, even though I am not a fan of the lower tier Vortex products.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethang View Post
    Interesting. The 507K I have for the Shield Plus is just not working out. With the plate is won't stay tight no matter how I mount it.

This being a direct mount it might be worth a try, even though I am not a fan of the lower tier Vortex products.
    Also have a 4" Shield + & had my smith cut the slide then bolted my 507K green on top w/ zero issues since he did it last year.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post
    Also have a 4" Shield + & had my smith cut the slide then bolted my 507K green on top w/ zero issues since he did it last year.
    that is one option I am looking at, but if this Vortex is solid that would eliminate the need to mill.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Anyone looking for one just let me know and I'll see what I can do for you
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Can anyone confirm if these are direct fit(no plates) on the Optics Ready Shield Plus models?

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    Can anyone confirm if these are direct fit(no plates) on the Optics Ready Shield Plus models?

It's made for for the Shield RMS footprint so yes

"Your new favorite Shield Plus is ready to go straight out of the box. Whether you plan to run an optic or use the traditional iron sights, you decide. The optic choice is yours, choose from any Shield RMS optic footprint which covers up to 80% of the micro compact red dot optics on the market."
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

So far, these seem to be solid optics. Not a fan of the battery life though.

Quote Originally Posted by DLWinner View Post
    So far, these seem to be solid optics. Not a fan of the battery life though.
    This is probably at least partially a consequence of the very clear lens. The MPS has the same issue. That blue tint people bitch about lets them run the emitter with less power.

User Tag List