Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vortex Defender CCW Optic

Site Supporter

Vortex Defender CCW Optic

Stopped by my Local Gun Store this evening to pick up a repair and noticed a stack of a new Vortex Pistol Optic in the display case. Nothing on line about these other than two product pages on vendor sites.

It’s an open emitter metal body sight with a polymer “shock shield” similar to the CHPWS defender for the RMR. It uses the Shield RMS-C ( aka Holosun K / Romeo Zero) footprint. It has a taller window than most optics in this class reminiscent of the RMRCC. It’s available with either a 3 or 6 MOA dot. It uses a top loading CR1632 battery and has side mounted intensity buttons which can be locked out. Per the manual it has a 14 hour auto shut off (which can be disabled) and motion activation, though apparently disabling the auto shut off also disables the MOTAC.

It comes with an optic cover, battery and sight tool, a low picatinny rail mount, mounting screws for six different guns (SIG, Glock, S&W, Canik, SA Hellcat) and a 1 degree shim plate.

The window was clear, the dot was bright and crisp and the price was right ($249) so I grabbed one to mess with.

Name:  CBF6CC19-FC67-467E-AB61-0C2C727612C1.jpg
Views: 3797
Size:  54.4 KB

Name:  530E3A47-A86E-43F4-A188-EAA27A63F8A3.jpg
Views: 3380
Size:  93.6 KB

Name:  676B4EC4-0F9E-4D24-8302-A284B5611814.jpg
Views: 3350
Size:  40.7 KB

Name:  1463B4AC-5571-4A86-ADCD-131AF406BD6E.jpg
Views: 3090
Size:  23.6 KB

Name:  3D8D73E3-EA6E-4673-92B7-97575D1FC463.jpg
Views: 3128
Size:  17.3 KB

Name:  4C790670-C924-41EF-BCAD-3D43C60A7C4E.jpg
Views: 3101
Size:  29.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Stopped by my Local Gun Store this evening to pick up a repair and noticed a stack of a new Vortex Pistol Optic in the display case. Nothing on line about these other than two product pages on vendor sites.

It’s an open emitter metal body sight with a polymer “shock shield” similar to the CHPWS defender for the RMR. It uses the Shield RMS-C ( aka Holosun K / Romeo Zero) footprint. It has a taller window than most optics in this class reminiscent of the RMRCC. It’s available with either a 3 or 6 MOA dot. It uses a top loading CR1632 battery and has side mounted intensity buttons which can be locked out. Per the manual it has a 14 hour auto shut off (which can be disabled) and motion activation, though apparently disabling the auto shut off also disables the MOTAC.

It comes with an optic cover, battery and sight tool, a low picatinny rail mount, mounting screws for six different guns (SIG, Glock, S&W, Canik, SA Hellcat) and a 1 degree shim plate.

The window was clear, the dot was bright and crisp and the price was right ($249) so I grabbed one to mess with.

Name:  CBF6CC19-FC67-467E-AB61-0C2C727612C1.jpg
Views: 3797
Size:  54.4 KB

Name:  530E3A47-A86E-43F4-A188-EAA27A63F8A3.jpg
Views: 3380
Size:  93.6 KB

Name:  676B4EC4-0F9E-4D24-8302-A284B5611814.jpg
Views: 3350
Size:  40.7 KB

Name:  1463B4AC-5571-4A86-ADCD-131AF406BD6E.jpg
Views: 3090
Size:  23.6 KB

Name:  3D8D73E3-EA6E-4673-92B7-97575D1FC463.jpg
Views: 3128
Size:  17.3 KB

Name:  4C790670-C924-41EF-BCAD-3D43C60A7C4E.jpg
Views: 3101
Size:  29.5 KB
    I like the front texture for oe handed manipulations

I believe it is on the RMS footprint, not the RMSc footprint.

I'd be happy to be wrong, though.

ETA: Says it right on the box: RMS. Which is not the RMSc.
    And remember when demons and beasts cast their darkness, you have God's love - and Browning's wrath - to guide you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    I believe it is on the RMS footprint, not the RMSc footprint.

I'd be happy to be wrong, though.

ETA: Says it right on the box: RMS. Which is not the RMSc.
    It’s what ever is the same as the Holosun K and SIG Romeo Zero.

Brits don’t shoot so I don’t care what Shield calls their footprints.

Unsurprisingly it appears to be a Chinese made optics so “Holosun K” is more appropriate.

It’s what ever is the same as the Holosun K and SIG Romeo Zero.

Brits don’t shoot so I don’t care what Shield calls their footprints.

Unsurprisingly it appears to be a Chinese made optics so “Holosun K” is more appropriate.
    It looks like the RMS and RMSc are mostly the same footprint but not entirely identical.

Still seems a curious choice for Vortex to have either chosen the RMS rather than the RMSc or to say that the DEF-CCW's footprint is the RMS and not the RMSc.
    And remember when demons and beasts cast their darkness, you have God's love - and Browning's wrath - to guide you.

That looks promising! I've been thinking about buying a 407K 6 MOA sight. I'd like to see a comparison against the 407K with the 6 MOA dot.

Interesting. Not what I was expecting. I was talking to a rep the other day who mentioned their new pistol red dot, but hadn’t heard anything else about it. I’m always confused at the gap between their 1-6s that are “duty” rated, and their pistol dots being hobby rated. Hopefully this is a step in the right direction for them.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post
    Interesting. Not what I was expecting. I was talking to a rep the other day who mentioned their new pistol red dot, but hadn’t heard anything else about it. I’m always confused at the gap between their 1-6s that are “duty” rated, and their pistol dots being hobby rated. Hopefully this is a step in the right direction for them.
    While I agree it’s a step in the right direction, Vortex is like any other company - they have duty grade products, mid grade products and made in China hobby grade products. For example 1-6s - Razor vs PST vs strike eagle.

While this thing looked promising enough to buy it’s still a sub $300 optic, it’s not Razor 1-6 / Aimpoint ACRO quality.

,,,and a 1 degree shim plate.

Very interesting looking optic. Should be a good option to HS 507k/407k if it works - Top battery, "Waterproof" (I don't see an actual IP rating). How has reliability with Vortex optics been in the wild? Is the lens glass or polymer? Assuming it is tilted down, I am guessing the 1 degree shim is for 1911s?

I'm no expert on mounting nomenclature, but these guys seem to indicate the RMS and RMSc difference is in the size, not the mounting pattern.

https://www.optics-trade.eu/blog/foo...nting_standard

"Important notes

Even though Shield RMS and RMSc differ in dimensions (the 'c' version is smaller), the distances between the holes are the same, which is why an adapter designed for the Shield mounting standard fits on both.

RMSc -(length x width x height) 40 x 23 x 22 mm
    MS - (length x width x height) 42 x 25 x 23 mm"

...but I dunno.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Very interesting looking optic. Should be a good option to HS 507k/407k if it works - Top battery, "Waterproof" (I don't see an actual IP rating). How has reliability with Vortex optics been in the wild? Is the lens glass or polymer? Assuming it is tilted down, I am guessing the 1 degree shim is for 1911s?

I'm no expert on mounting nomenclature, but these guys seem to indicate the RMS and RMSc difference is in the size, not the mounting pattern.

https://www.optics-trade.eu/blog/foo...nting_standard

"Important notes

Even though Shield RMS and RMSc differ in dimensions (the 'c' version is smaller), the distances between the holes are the same, which is why an adapter designed for the Shield mounting standard fits on both.

RMSc -(length x width x height) 40 x 23 x 22 mm
    MS - (length x width x height) 42 x 25 x 23 mm"

...but I dunno.
    I think its equivalent to the size difference between an EPS and EPS Carry, or thereabouts

User Tag List