Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DEIA

DEIA

Good luck to all of you still working for Uncle Sam. Can't say we didn't see this coming back in the 90's...and can't say I'm sorry I pulled the plug when I did, either.

Top News
    First-Ever Report on Fed DEIA Progress, President Biden Issues New Executive Order

The Biden Administration released its inaugural report on Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility (DEIA) efforts in the federal government workforce. The report, titled “Government-wide DEIA: Our Progress and Path Forward to Building a Better Workforce for the American People,” was released by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM).
    https://www.fedagent.com/news/first-...eid=87f8130218
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I haven't noticed any deleterious effect this initiative has had. When our DEIA program started, we were offered the ability to submit anonymous questions and concerns. I wrote in about how poorly executed diversity initiatives have resulted in unqualified people getting jobs in LE that they shouldn't have, and the resulting misconduct and corruption that brought.

In their responses, they made a big point of noting that no standards are being altered in order to make the job more accessible to unqualified individuals simply because of their race. Regarding recruitment, the DEIA initiative is focused on outreach to under represented communities, such as recruiting at colleges and job fairs that LEAs typically wouldn't target, historically speaking...those communities being people who wouldn't typically think our job could be for them due to social biases (including social biases within their own communities). A lot of this is very long term "audience programming", I guess you could call it, since unlike HSI, FBI or USSS, its rare to get hired here under the age of 30. People straight out of college are exceptionally rare due to the life experiences we are looking for.

It has not resulted in lowered standards. It has not resulted in anyone being forced to participate in DEIA events at work, whether it be an evening social or pride parade during the day. From my perspective at my agency, there's nothing to be concerned about.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

That's good to hear. I can tell you that certainly wasn't the case in the 90's and early 2000's.

I'm still skeptical of what the long term effects will be. Not sure that what happens within your outfit is representative...but I'm in no position to evaluate that.

Edit: Most of my time in the job preceded the creation of DHS and the merging of my old agency into the newly formed ICE / HSI. I can tell you that that culture war was a bloodbath that sent many of us, (legacy USCS S/As), looking for an early exit. I left with six more years potentially on the table.
    Last edited by blues; 02-23-2023 at 08:25 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I haven't noticed any deleterious effect this initiative has had. When our DEIA program started, we were offered the ability to submit anonymous questions and concerns. I wrote in about how poorly executed diversity initiatives have resulted in unqualified people getting jobs in LE that they shouldn't have, and the resulting misconduct and corruption that brought.

In their responses, they made a big point of noting that no standards are being altered in order to make the job more accessible to unqualified individuals simply because of their race. Regarding recruitment, the DEIA initiative is focused on outreach to under represented communities, such as recruiting at colleges and job fairs that LEAs typically wouldn't target, historically speaking...those communities being people who wouldn't typically think our job could be for them due to social biases (including social biases within their own communities). A lot of this is very long term "audience programming", I guess you could call it, since unlike HSI, FBI or USSS, its rare to get hired here under the age of 30. People straight out of college are exceptionally rare due to the life experiences we are looking for.

It has not resulted in lowered standards. It has not resulted in anyone being forced to participate in DEIA events at work, whether it be an evening social or pride parade during the day. From my perspective at my agency, there's nothing to be concerned about.
    So how many were hired?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

You raised a concern, they told you not to worry, and you took their word for it? And since you haven’t seen a measurable effect at your level, no standards have been lowered?

What am I missing here?

I’m usually a huge skeptic about outside reporting on the Army because it’s super easy to see all of the holes. But I also don’t know how you could know the truth of your final statements without being directly involved in the process. I was skeptical about some of the diversity stuff I heard of on the mil side but never had anything strong to base it off of. Then I moved to a recruiting organization and was told at a certification event, by someone that works on the algorithm, that diversity is weighed more heavily than personal preference when branching new officers into the Army. This was months ago and I’m still not sure whether I should be more shocked that they’re doing that or admitting to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I haven't noticed any deleterious effect this initiative has had.
    Yet. Give it time, grasshopper.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Perhaps I'm missing the point, but it seems as though one only need look at the level of "competency" inside the Biden administration to see how all this plays out. Even leaving out Biden's leftist/corrupt tendencies, I'm not a fan.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    You raised a concern, they told you not to worry, and you took their word for it? And since you haven’t seen a measurable effect at your level, no standards have been lowered?

What am I missing here?
    Because no changes have been made to the assessment process for hiring that would somehow allow under-qualified individuals to get in when they previously wouldn't. Minorities are not gifted points simply for being minorities, there's no exception to any of the assessment for being a minority, and there's no specific accession pipeline for minorities. Further, we still operate off a rank-ordered register....meaning even if they lowered the cutting score (which hasn't happened), all the people who did better than you would still populate the register ahead of you, as well as newer assessments who did better than you, and you'd sit on the bottom of the register until you time out after 2 years.

I know this is a shocking concept for the internet, but it's possible I know my own job better than you.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    It would be a much more productive thread if those who comment —precisely spell out their backgrounds and associations with the entities they are commenting upon.

I.E. As I have entered my 30th year of legal practice, I no longer have the patience I once had for those who comment on the legal system, particularly with regard to likely courses or action/results when it is patently clear that they lack the education and/or training and/or direct, actual, relevant and recent experience to do so.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Because no changes have been made to the assessment process for hiring that would somehow allow under-qualified individuals to get in when they previously wouldn't. Minorities are not gifted points simply for being minorities, there's no exception to any of the assessment for being a minority, and there's no specific accession pipeline for minorities. Further, we still operate off a rank-ordered register....meaning even if they lowered the cutting score (which hasn't happened), all the people who did better than you would still populate the register ahead of you, as well as newer assessments who did better than you, and you'd sit on the bottom of the register until you time out after 2 years.

I know this is a shocking concept for the internet, but it's possible I know my own job better than you.
    Good stuff. On a related Federal topic I cannot convince certain friends that the Army has not quit combat training for wokeness training etc. I'm like, I've got weekly updates from Airborne Infantry (my squad leader laddie) and they are crushing it in the field or on the ranges every week for month after month over the last six anyway. PT that would pop your heart. Ranges that aren't to qual but go out with a pallet of ammo to shoot/move/emplace/shoot/move; day and night under NVGs. Squad/Platoon/Company manuevers, patrols, chaining one FRAGO after another for days. And my audience has no current line on Soldiers mind you, just old grumpy former guys.
    Last edited by JHC; 02-24-2023 at 09:03 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List