Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm Making a Run at This One

Hoping you win, Stephanie. That would make a great carry revolver.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Fingers crossed for you Stephanie.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Shit. Effectively a duplicate post.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    (28's were the canary in the coal mine for postwar Hand Ejector prices for me. In the Nineties they went for a song compared to other N-frames because of their "budget" nature and consequently I turned my nose up at them because 27s were so shiny. In the early '00s when they started bringing double and more of their Blue Book value, that was my clue to start rounding up the wheelguns I really wanted, because the days of Smith collecting being "Colt Collecting, but for Poor People" were obviously numbered.)
    I missed out on a lot of that. For reasons of residency, there was maybe a two-year stretch in the late '90s when I could buy handguns. Then, what the hassles of NYS, it was another several years more.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

A 6" Model 28-2 was my first centerfire handgun. I purchased it new from a hardware store in Mammoth, AZ.

I hand loaded ammo for it and cast my own bullets in a single cavity mold. Lubed and sized bullets weighed 200 grains when cast from wheel weights. I selected that weight because the molds were given to me.

Used Hercules Bullseye and 2400 powder that came in the old "square" cans and Winchester primers that cost $.01 each.

Decided to compete in some "combat" matches held in the Tucson, AZ area, which was my introduction to competitive shooting.

I had a gun belt made by a saddle maker in Tucson and IIRC, my holster was made by Bianchi and had a thumb snap. I used HKS speedloaders and do not remember who made the the carriers for the speedloaders or where I got them.

The revolver had an approximately 11 lb. DA pull and a 6 lb. SA pull. I had no idea what the Hell I was doing with it, and it showed when I shot it in competition.

About six months into my new hobby of shooting "combat" matches, I was introduced to a Colt Series 70 Government Model which had a lightly tuned stock trigger. I didn't know whether to compare it to the discovery of fire or the second coming of Christ, but the Model 28 was sold as quickly as I could find a buyer.

I always thought that someday I might buy another one and have it converted to .44 Special, as I was influenced by Elmer Keith and Skeeter Skelton pretty heavily in those days, but it never happened.

Life was a lot simpler in those days.

I got lucky and won a HP 4 inch 28-2 last year. Not exactly sure how that happened but nobody else bid on it. Looked like dog shit in the photos because it had built up powder residue on the cylinder. That made the finish look awful. I had no idea what it was. Took it to a gunsmith and he didn't know either. I posted some pics over on big blue. Some guy said it was powder residue and to clean it up with powder solvent. Took a few hours but it perked right up. Not even a turn line on that cylinder once I could actually see the finish. Very little use.

I've had it to the range a few times and I'm impressed. What a beautiful revolver and so easy to shoot. I can see why they dominated the LE market for so long. I have all of the docs, tools and box. Eight fiddy.

I'm hoping you sneak a low bid in and win that one Steph. Good luck.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Definitely agree with the barrel being a M27.

I'd be tempted myself but...

1) You are bidding on it. You found it so I couldn't in good conscience go after it.

2) I have a 4" 28 already

3) I also have a 3.5" M27.

I think that particular itch has been sufficiently scratched...

Hope you get it! It'll make a fantastic shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Definitely agree with the barrel being a M27.

I'd be tempted myself but...

1) You are bidding on it. You found it so I couldn't in good conscience go after it.

2) I have a 4" 28 already

3) I also have a 3.5" M27.

I think that particular itch has been sufficiently scratched...

Hope you get it! It'll make a fantastic shooter.
    I appreciate that. I'm not keeping my hopes up, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Good luck!

(28's were the canary in the coal mine for postwar Hand Ejector prices for me. In the Nineties they went for a song compared to other N-frames because of their "budget" nature and consequently I turned my nose up at them because 27s were so shiny. In the early '00s when they started bringing double and more of their Blue Book value, that was my clue to start rounding up the wheelguns I really wanted, because the days of Smith collecting being "Colt Collecting, but for Poor People" were obviously numbered.)
    I very clearly remember (in 90s) thinking "there is no way I am going to pay more than $400-450 for an N frame Model 29-2". Let alone any of the lesser N Frames, which I would not even bother with since they were not .44 or .45 calibers, and I thought "what was the point of small bore N Frame?".

Then the new century came around and the prices just rose and rose. And years of abuse happened with my wrists and hands, and those minor calibers started looking good.

In reference to the prices, I do remember years ago, gunwriter John Taffin either writing in an article or telling me a comment. I don't remember which but the phrase stuck with me. He said "You are not paying too much, you are paying too early". He was right, and on a couple times that I really wanted a particular revolver and felt the price was high, but paid anyway, within a couple few years, the gun was worth more than what I had paid. I simply paid ahead of the time, and in each case, the revolver was an uncommon one that trying to find another would be very difficult, such as the 5" Model 29 Classic/Classic DX versions. Those revolvers have without question been the most accurate centerfire revolvers I have ever owned. Now those guns are priced out of my reach, and I am thankful I picked them up many years ago.

Hoping Steph wins this piece. I think mentioning that this is a "Frankengun" might cool off some of the other bidders, in case there is one or two that think this is a rare bird. Steph knows it is a well done conversion, and the other guys may go after something else.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I very clearly remember (in 90s) thinking "there is no way I am going to pay more than $400-450 for an N frame Model 29-2". Let alone any of the lesser N Frames, which I would not even bother with since they were not .44 or .45 calibers, and I thought "what was the point of small bore N Frame?".

Then the new century came around and the prices just rose and rose. And years of abuse happened with my wrists and hands, and those minor calibers started looking good.

In reference to the prices, I do remember years ago, gunwriter John Taffin either writing in an article or telling me a comment. I don't remember which but the phrase stuck with me. He said "You are not paying too much, you are paying too early"
    "You can never pay too much, you can only buy too soon."

As with Corvettes, hold on to a Smith & Wesson revolver long enough and you'll almost always be able to sell it for more than you paid.

Your example of the 29-2 resonates; I gave $450 for a Lew Horton 3" 629-1 back in late '01 and thought that was a ludicrous price to pay for a used post-'82 Hand Ejector...and one made of soulless steel, at that!...but it looked cool, I wanted it, and I was flush at the time. The current asking prices for those things give me nosebleeds.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List