Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Review my suppressor alternatives

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Who’s he when he’s at home? (Google didn’t help.)
    Sorry, should have been more descriptive.

ST-3 is a thread locker, and is what Griffin Armament specs to use on the HUB threads. It's more moderate-strength than Rocksett, while still being high temp rated.

https://www.griffinarmament.com/st-3a-thread-sealant/

Note that you should still torque it using the provided wrenches with your can and HUB adapter. This just makes sure it doesn't loosen up, and is quit eliterally what Griffin Armament tells people to use.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

ST-3 is a thread locker, and is what Griffin Armament specs to use on the HUB threads. It's more moderate-strength than Rocksett, while still being high temp rated.

Note that you should still torque it using the provided wrenches with your can and HUB adapter. This just makes sure it doesn't loosen up, and is quit eliterally what Griffin Armament tells people to use.
    Thanks! Using a thread treatment of some kind makes sense.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Something else about suppressors… you’re pretty much gonna keep whatever you buy forever. Nobody ever seems to sell them.

Yet another reason I’d never buy a dedicated unitasker can again.

I have an Ops Inc…. Something or other. It sits mounted on my HD gun because that’s the only gun it fits. If I had a multitasker it would do exactly the same thing the ops can does (sitting on my fantasy Larper gun in the safe) but could also be used for other (possibly even fun!) stuff too.

I almost had the Ops can sold to someone that wanted the nostalgia for some replica gun or other from when they were cool, but the aggravation factor for both of us grew beyond my desire to be rid of it and his desire to have it so it just kind of fizzled.

So in the safe it sits. Protecting us all from the boogie monster…

ETA:
    which also reminds me, of you just want a can to want it, all the more reason to get a multitasker.

If you had a real need, you’d already know what you should buy and wouldn’t need this thread.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Good points, Rob. I still think a multitasker like a Wolfman is my best route for an initial and possibly only can since I can use it on my 9mm PCCs, .300 BLK and 5.56. I’m sure I’ll be classified as a light user on the rifle chamberings and the fact that it doesn’t have a barrel length restriction for these is appealing.

If I end up liking it, maybe I can look at a can to leave on one of the 9mms - probably the MPX-K since I have a longer handguard for it. I always liked the SD concept. Plus, a silenced 10-22 would get a lot of use.

Crap, now I’m up to three.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Crap, now I’m up to three.
    They multiply like Tribbles.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

I use Rocksett, and I've still had HUB mounts and endcaps come off with high round count 5.56. If you have a mount that starts to get carbon locked, turning it in a direction that is tightening both the HUB mount and the flash hider is a big benefit to me.

I'll offer a contrarian view:

A multitasker can is good and versatile, but I don't want to use it if it's long and heavy. I'm also not going to switch out hub mounts between DT, QD rifle, tri-lug/pcc, etc when I want to go shoot.

If your intent is to suppress a 16" AR, then get a good can for that purpose.

On a 16" rifle my main concerns are weight and length. Turning a 16" AR into a 24" pig is dumb unless you plan to only shoot off a bench. Get a short, light can that you'll actually use. The Turbo K has been mentioned many times. It's inexpensive and well suited to ARs. I use one on a 12.5" and 16" barrel.

It's actually so good and inexpensive I bought another to just leave on the 12.5.

I understand the old sentiment "Buy once cry once, you're stuck with it forever", but there are so many good cans that cost $500 or less, its really not a big deal. Other than waiting 9 months there isn't much difference from buying a new pistol, unless you compulsively buy and sell guns.

Buy multiple cans that are actually well suited to what you're doing. That's 3, maybe 4 total cans(Rimfire, AR shorty, 9mm and/or .308). It's not that much money and a lot less fiddle fucking.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    I use Rocksett, and I've still had HUB mounts and endcaps come off with high round count 5.56. If you have a mount that starts to get carbon locked, turning it in a direction that is tightening both the HUB mount and the flash hider is a big benefit to me.
    I don't think I'm strong enough to unscrew a can set with Rocksett from the HUB to begin with. If the can was that stuck and required that much force, I'd have to use the wrench on the HUB to break it free from the mount, to begin with.

I haven't experienced carbon locking with my taper mounts, either...that'd be the Griffin Plan A and a Mk12/AEM-5. They're super tight when hot, but when they cool down they come off normally.

Which mount were you using when this happened?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I ordered a suppressor: the HUXWRX Flow 556k from my local gun store, who will order it from the Silencer Shop.

Why that one? I started this thread assuming I'd get something like the traditional Omega 300, but I learned from the posters - not only the ones listed below:

@Default.mp3 Go short and light, like a k can, and A full-sized can will obviously give better suppression characteristics, both acoustic and visual, but will also be heavier, something to really consider on a 16" gun, and Also something to consider is that flow through suppressor designs tend to be louder than baffled suppressors using traditional measurements (1 meter left of muzzle), they can be quieter for the shooter. Also, there a $300 off MSRP available, but I prefer to buy locally. Others may have different thoughts.

@JclInAtx: Pointed out the Pew Science recent comparison, and I joined to get the member-only info.

@rob_s: Be prepared to be disappointed

Lots of advice to ignore the new hotness, but the flow through cans are the only ones that have a real chance to reduce back pressure, which became more important to me than I thought when opening this thread. My LGS owner, who basically keeps his shop open on NFA sales, hasn't been happy with any adjustable gas blocks, "They all seize," he says, even after I mentioned some of the better ones I'd read about.

The Flow 556k seems ideal. Pew Science mentioned that the Flow 556 K had "class leading back pressure reduction," if I remember the quote properly, which means I have a chance to minimize gas to the face. It also has excellent "at the ear" readings. The FBI HRT bought 1,000 of them, which means they passed some pretty serious initial screening, but may well be a number chosen to be an extended field test. Since it's unlikely I'll be able to sell any NFA items, I'd rather buy something that just might be what I need, with a bit of "prepare to be disappointed" factored in. Then there's the hope that I can avoid expensive tuning to get the can and 16" AR running right, e.g., gas blocker charging handle, adjustable gas block, which I'd prefer to avoid.

The Flow 556 K has some disadvantages. Default.mp3 mentioned 10k rounds service life, but I'm unlikely to bump up against that. A more serious problem is warranty coverage - "The warranty excludes products damaged due to normal wear and tear, unauthorized modifications, embellishments or alterations, improper use, improper maintenance, accident, misuse, negligence, damage, or if the product is used for a purpose for which it was not designed or used not in accordance with the product instruction." I read this to mean baffle strikes, or whatever the equivalent is in flow-through construction, is not covered, but if it can't be repaired they'll allow 50% off on a new purchase of a similar type. Of course, that means another year of awaiting a tax stamp. Then there's the high cost of $1125, likely the product of my chasing, against advice, the new hotness.

Now for the year's wait.
    Last edited by Jaywalker; 02-25-2023 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I'll offer a contrarian view:

A multitasker can is good and versatile, but I don't want to use it if it's long and heavy. I'm also not going to switch out hub mounts between DT, QD rifle, tri-lug/pcc, etc when I want to go shoot.

If your intent is to suppress a 16" AR, then get a good can for that purpose.

On a 16" rifle my main concerns are weight and length. Turning a 16" AR into a 24" pig is dumb unless you plan to only shoot off a bench. Get a short, light can that you'll actually use. The Turbo K has been mentioned many times. It's inexpensive and well suited to ARs. I use one on a 12.5" and 16" barrel.

It's actually so good and inexpensive I bought another to just leave on the 12.5.

I understand the old sentiment "Buy once cry once, you're stuck with it forever", but there are so many good cans that cost $500 or less, its really not a big deal. Other than waiting 9 months there isn't much difference from buying a new pistol, unless you compulsively buy and sell guns.

Buy multiple cans that are actually well suited to what you're doing. That's 3, maybe 4 total cans(Rimfire, AR shorty, 9mm and/or .308). It's not that much money and a lot less fiddle fucking.
    Tbilisi is the camp I fall into as well. I’ve got my short 5.56 can and am currently waiting for my 9mm can to be approved. Up next is the .22 rimfire can. I’m not interested in messing with different end caps for different calibers and different muzzle devices because some barrels are tri-lug and some are threaded if I want to move the same suppressor between different configurations and calibers. The 5.56 suppressor can be moved from 5.56 rifle to 5.56 rifle as long as they can accept the same muzzle device. The 9mm can be mounted to any gun with a tri-lug attachment.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List