Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Review my suppressor alternatives

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’ve found the initial learning curve for sound suppression is very steep.
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    This is an understatement.

I’ve waited a LONG time to get to the point being able to purchase anything NFA. It’s daunting.
    thread drift...

JMHO, the wait times have been part of this, but I think it's a good idea to jump in with a .22 can where there's relatively low cost and low risk (provided you aren't trying for new hotness) to get your feet wet, understand the process, etc.

I have an old one of these that would still be a fine option IMO
    https://www.gemtech.com/product/gm-22

(which reminds me, I need to look into this as well
    https://www.gemtech.com/product/impr...de-iou-program)
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    thread drift...

JMHO, the wait times have been part of this, but I think it's a good idea to jump in with a .22 can where there's relatively low cost and low risk (provided you aren't trying for new hotness) to get your feet wet, understand the process, etc.

I have an old one of these that would still be a fine option IMO
    https://www.gemtech.com/product/gm-22

(which reminds me, I need to look into this as well
    https://www.gemtech.com/product/impr...de-iou-program)
    And they're the most fun, useful, and practical class of suppressors.

Sig has their SLX/SLH series of flow-through cans with 7.62 and QD available, and the K sized ones are quite light. Proprietary (and expensive) mounts, but given the use of the can/mount in the NGSW program, I suspect the mount will be around for a while and (hopefully) there will be compatible 3rd party mounts. The downside is the cans are pricy and the SLX reportedly heavily prioritizes backpressure reduction at the expense of sound suppression. The SLH is advertised as splitting the difference between the back pressure of the SLX and a normal baffle style can, but better sound suppression than the SLX.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Not to thread hijack....

Purpose for me is predators (coyotes), something my wife will be comfortable shooting (multi use tool) and me wanting to be neighborly shooting centerfire rifles on our property. Rimfire would be a second purchase.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    Sig has their SLX/SLH series of flow-through cans with 7.62 and QD available, and the K sized ones are quite light. Proprietary (and expensive) mounts, but given the use of the can/mount in the NGSW program, I suspect the mount will be around for a while and (hopefully) there will be compatible 3rd party mounts. The downside is the cans are pricy and the SLX reportedly heavily prioritizes backpressure reduction at the expense of sound suppression. The SLH is advertised as splitting the difference between the back pressure of the SLX and a normal baffle style can, but better sound suppression than the SLX.
    I'm hesitant about investing in the SLX/SLH for the same reason people mentioned about the SPEAR-LT in another thread: SIG has a history of updating and dropping designs, including factory support, at the drop of a hat. Contract requirements can be modified with the stroke of a pen, and that mount can go the way of the dodo bird PDQ, and the can is not reverse compatible with the industry standard 1-3/8th x 24 mounting pattern. Given SIG's frenetic habits, I'm holding off even though I'm strongly interested in the SLX and SLX-C.

At the same time, the YHM Turbo-K is still really hard to beat unless a user has a hard go/no-go requirement for flow-through design. The Turbo-K using a Plan-A or Plan B is about a quarter pound lighter than the SLX-C, noticeably shorter, and half the price. YHM even just introduced a modified baffle stack in the new T3 generation for reduced backpressure, although I haven't seen anything about measurable differences.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Not to thread hijack....

Purpose for me is predators (coyotes), something my wife will be comfortable shooting (multi use tool) and me wanting to be neighborly shooting centerfire rifles on our property. Rimfire would be a second purchase.
    Totally get your hesitancy due to the overwhelming number of options and configurations. I felt the same way until I said f'it and pulled the trigger.

Buy the YHM Turbo (5.56) or Resonator (7.62) and go from there. They use a very common mounting pattern, so once you get familiar and want something different, you can swap the mount for any number of options that might suit your tastes better.

ETA: I should have also mentioned the new YHM sRx mount as an option to compete against the Plan A and Plan B. If you can order it with the can instead of a Phantom QD, that's super and even more reason to favor the YHM.
    Last edited by TGS; 02-23-2023 at 05:36 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Thanks.

The YHM offerings have received attention. From what I have read, not the sexiest, but solid and reasonably priced. I’ve bought their other stuff in the past, (minor stuff like gas blocks, flash hiders etc) and have always viewed them as solid. I’ll do more study’n.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

Buy the YHM Turbo (5.56) or Resonator (7.62) and go from there. They use a very common mounting pattern, so once you get familiar and want something different, you can swap the mount for any number of options that might suit your tastes better.

ETA: I should have also mentioned the new YHM sRx mount as an option to compete against the Plan A and Plan B. If you can order it with the can instead of a Phantom QD, that's super and even more reason to favor the YHM.
    I’m a big fan of YHM cans. My 9mm can is a YHM. Mounts aren’t the sexiest new hotness but the thing works.

This is also high on my list of multitaskers
    https://yhm.net/products/resonator-k...ession-system/

I figure these are the muzzle devices I’d want. Maybe two of the 7.62 FH mounts if I ever got a .300wtf.

Name:  C1B63ED6-E17E-4B41-9E5F-CEB0FD9BC590.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  31.3 KB

I like where they are headed with the sRx stuff but it looks like they aren’t yet selling cans outfitted that way from the start, and they don’t appear to have an AK thread pitch mount yet.
    https://yhm.net/new-products/
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Stoopid newb question - at least some of the YHM suppressors have standardized threading at the rear (HUB?) so you could attach another pattern QD, like a KeyMo mount?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    Eh...checked prices on those SIG cans lately? Es no bueno.
    #RESIST

Completely agree- hence the caveats that the cans are pricy. I concur with TGS’s concerns about Sig phasing in/out changes all willy-nilly.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

User Tag List