Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Review my suppressor alternatives

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    With Fiocchi 158 gr, it took about 5 rounds to find my hold point. No more jugs, and likely won't use it for another 2 years. With mild tinnitus, my ears are still ringing after only 15 rounds. So I ended up with an expensive, long awaited range toy that still requires ear pro. CF silencers on pistols are not that silent.
    Ammo is the other half of the suppression equation, especially in regards to subsonic rounds. I have an Octane 9, and my full power 147 gr handloads still turn heads at the range. It's really about the powder used in the round. A lot of the 147 gr stuff on the shelf is still pretty crappy. If you want store bought, I've heard the Federal Syntech rounds are about as good as it gets and are fairly available.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Stoopid newb question - at least some of the YHM suppressors have standardized threading at the rear (HUB?) so you could attach another pattern QD, like a KeyMo mount?
    Correct.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 757_Magnum View Post
    Ammo is the other half of the suppression equation, especially in regards to subsonic rounds. I have an Octane 9, and my full power 147 gr handloads still turn heads at the range. It's really about the powder used in the round. A lot of the 147 gr stuff on the shelf is still pretty crappy. If you want store bought, I've heard the Federal Syntech rounds are about as good as it gets and are fairly available.
    This is true even for .22. CCI Standard is my default ammo, but it can still be a little loud in certain circumstances (I've even had it go supersonic in the right (wrong?) conditions). But, the intentionally subsonic stuff is usually closer to 850-950 fps, and is noticeably quieter.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Stoopid newb question - at least some of the YHM suppressors have standardized threading at the rear (HUB?) so you could attach another pattern QD, like a KeyMo mount?
    Yes. I'm using the Dead Air Xeno for all my 5.56 cans now. I really like reverse threads on a mount that is using a HUB backend. While it isn't an issue with a fixed mount can, one of the problems with HUB is the the HUB treads will sometimes loosen instead of the mount threads. Having reverse threads on the mount makes this impossible. It also prevents the entire flash hider or brake from threading off of the rifle with with can.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
    I've just started my NFA trust, i.e., paid a lawyer to structure it, and might well be shopping for a suppressor this weekend. I'll use it on a 16" AR for casual shooting - no extended 5.56 mag dumps - and possibly in the future an SBR in 300 BLK. It's also possible I'll want to suppress my HK P30, but that's lower priority and possibly an idea I'll abandon. From multiple threads here I've found the SilencerCo Omega variants well considered, and it appears either the 300 or the 36M fit my requirements. I'm leaning towards the 36M for its versatility. I plan to use some version of a three-prong flash hider mount - no muzzle brakes for me. (I don't understand yet all I know about suppressor mounting...)

Is there a reason to consider something else for my first NFA item, assuming performance, maintenance, customer service, and cost are a big part of my requirements?
    If I had to only get one suppressor (which I don't), but if I did, it would be a Griffin Explorr 30 cal. They are not the quietest one on the market, but the criteria for that is subjective. Let me explain.

Some suppressors can get superior muzzle numbers, but that comes at the cost of higher back pressure and gassy face as well as MUCH louder port pop on semi auto rifles. The Explorr series, as well as other name brand suppressors, are now going to what I call 'balanced gas' approaches. This means they engineer into the suppressor enough flow through to keep the total shooting experience as pleasant as possible from every angle.

On a gas gun that means little to nothing, but on a AR type platform, it means a whole lot.

With any 5.56 weapon, suppressor or no suppressor you will need to wear ear protection, hence chasing single decibels is not a good thing to pursue. That applies to any can from any manufacturer.

The other thing these Explorr series cans have going for them is weight. They are insanely light, but they are not made out of Titanium. They are made using a 'tube less' method, which means they machine the baffles, then simply weld them together into a stack vs the traditional way of stuffing baffles into a tube.

They are extremely rugged as well.

I am not usually a freak about weight, but in certain situations it matters. A LOT. If I give you a 2lb weight, you would think it wasn't that much. If I taped that 2lbs to the end of a long broom handle and had you hold it out straight for a long time it would be extremely heavy. In other words the mix of how the rifle is balanced matters a lot, but a lighter can offers a lot of benefits and leeway in this department.

Edit: Another benefit is IF you ever have a baffle strike, the can is engraved closer to the mount end. The manufacturer will simply cut the baffle stack off of the can and weld a new one in place. About a week to ten days later you get your can back. It can be two weeks at times, but nothing crazy like a six month wait. Also with my other Griffin cans they also allow for baffle upgrades. IE I bought a can like 5-6 years ago, and since then baffle tech has improved a lot. I was able to send my can in to the original manufacturer and have the baffles replaced without buying a new can.

Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post

Edit: Another benefit is IF you ever have a baffle strike, the can is engraved closer to the mount end. The manufacturer will simply cut the baffle stack off of the can and weld a new one in place. About a week to ten days later you get your can back. It can be two weeks at times, but nothing crazy like a six month wait. Also with my other Griffin cans they also allow for baffle upgrades. IE I bought a can like 5-6 years ago, and since then baffle tech has improved a lot. I was able to send my can in to the original manufacturer and have the baffles replaced without buying a new can.
    Never thought of that. Thanks.

Site Supporter
    Never thought of that. Thanks.
    That's the point I was trying to make with the newer printed cans. I'm not sure they have a good way to repair their cans like a traditional stacked baffle. They could licensed the serial number ring from Energetic Armament (which was a very good idea on their part to patent), but I don't know if there is another way to repair a printed can. If it can't be repaired, then, even if the company chooses to warranty it, you have to go back trough the From 4 process.

I've just started my NFA trust, i.e., paid a lawyer to structure it, and might well be shopping for a suppressor this weekend. I'll use it on a 16" AR for casual shooting - no extended 5.56 mag dumps - and possibly in the future an SBR in 300 BLK. It's also possible I'll want to suppress my HK P30, but that's lower priority and possibly an idea I'll abandon. From multiple threads here I've found the SilencerCo Omega variants well considered, and it appears either the 300 or the 36M fit my requirements. I'm leaning towards the 36M for its versatility. I plan to use some version of a three-prong flash hider mount - no muzzle brakes for me. (I don't understand yet all I know about suppressor mounting...)

Is there a reason to consider something else for my first NFA item, assuming performance, maintenance, customer service, and cost are a big part of my requirements?
    I would not recommend a "do all" can as a first purchase. I got a really good deal on a Silencerco Hybrid 46 so i picked one up a few years ago. It does most things ok but nothing really well. I have more money in the various aftermarket mounts/configurations than I do in the can. I like the fact that I can suppress a pistol and my 45/70 lever gun without buying a dedicated suppressor for each.
    YHM Resonator would be a good can for your stated purpose.

I've thrown a fair amount of money at NFA items over the years and here are a couple of stream of consciousness points:

• Buy a good user serviceable 22 can at the same time you make your other purchase. They don't cost that much and you are waiting anyway. 22 cans are fun as hell and never get old.
    • Pistol cans are a novelty. They are fun range toys but impractical. Shooting skunks or raccoons on my rural property without irritating the neighbors is they only time I use it.
    • Buy from a manufacturer who will be around when/if you have problems. I have a few cans that I purchased where the manufacturer went out of business and I am sol. Sig changing product lines like underwear would be another example.
    • Silencerco has excellent CS. Search the various forums for manufacturer CS examples when people have a baffle strike or need service.
    • While you are waiting for your NFA item a "new" version will come out and be the new hotness. Accept this eventuality. Research your purchase and be cool with it. The technological advances are incremental at this point.
    • You are better off getting a dedicated AR can than trying to force another can into that role. 223 ARs are still loudAF and not hearing safe. Still practical on a HD gun so u don't blow out your ears inside a structure.
    • No matter what you believe now, you will end up buying multiple cans so getting one that serves a defined role is best.
    • Buy a precision rifle can for your hunting/precision rifle. Shooting unsuppressed bolt guns is not preferred.
    • It is cheaper to decide on a mounting system early on and stick with it. Consider your needs, research the mounts and buy that system.
    • Make the purchase and do your best to forget about it. It takes forever.
    • Your neighbors will bitch less if you shoot suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    Yes. I'm using the Dead Air Xeno for all my 5.56 cans now. I really like reverse threads on a mount that is using a HUB backend. While it isn't an issue with a fixed mount can, one of the problems with HUB is the the HUB treads will sometimes loosen instead of the mount threads. Having reverse threads on the mount makes this impossible. It also prevents the entire flash hider or brake from threading off of the rifle with with can.
    ST-3 fixes that issue for HUB cans.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    ST-3 fixes that issue for HUB cans.
    Who’s he when he’s at home? (Google didn’t help.)
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List