Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Like New in Box SA 1911 DS Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    So basically shill for Springfield Armory, excuse the fact that SA regularly put out guns which need disconnector drag correctec and blame the end users ? Got it.
    Did Enloe say anything that wasn't true? He's right that the disconnector won't drag, or at least not as badly, as the trigger is pulled and the pistol cycles.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Did Enloe say anything that wasn't true? He's right that the disconnector won't drag, or at least not as badly, as the trigger is pulled and the pistol cycles.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    He didn’t say it wasn’t true. He tried to claim that the excessive disconnect or drag commonly found in Springfield 9 mm 1911’s is normal. Long story short it is not and it’s a functional detriment not found in other brands of 9 mm, 1911. It’s something that is easily remedied via the marvel cut, especially if it’s included as part of the OEM..

Site Supporter
    He didn’t say it wasn’t true. He tried to claim that the excessive disconnect or drag commonly found in Springfield 9 mm 1911’s is normal. Long story short it is not and it’s a functional detriment not found in other brands of 9 mm, 1911. It’s something that is easily remedied via the marvel cut, especially if it’s included as part of the OEM..
    A) I haven’t watched the video and I’m not commenting with respect to it.
    B) I’m not interjecting into your discussion with @Tokarev
    C) Just for data point

Just throwing it out there that my 5 in DW Valor had so much disconnector drag when new that I could literally lock the slide open by slowly riding the slide home. It was still 100% reliable however. This phenomenon went away when I went to the 13 lb spring. I agree with everything else completely

Site Supporter
    The situation isn't helped by Springfield Armory always under-springing their 9mm 1911s. I've seen both of these issues on a bunch of their Government models. Fortunately the 9mm Operator I own now doesn't have the disconnect drag, but I did install an 11# recoil spring right away. It has been a fantastic pistol since day one.

What is the cause of "disconnector drag"?

Mine appeared to be a sear spring so sharp and rough that it gouged into the bevel of the MIM disconnector, holding it up harder than spec.
    A Colt sear spring and polish of the bevel fixed it.
    (That was a single stack SA a number of years ago.)

Are they still sending out the undersize chambers reported early on?

I had to put in a softer recoil spring, my MixMaster quit catching the slide stop. But the next lighter spring in my accumulation did fix that. The question remains, what happened to make it necessary? I haven't changed ammo in a good while.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    What is the cause of "disconnector drag"?

While I’ll happily defer to those actually knowledgeable, from an engineering perspective, the flat plane of the breechface interfaces with the inclined face of the disconnector. As the resistance of the sear spring on the opposite end is overcome, the disconnector moves down.

Any friction in the disconnector channel or an increase of sear spring pressure or DEcrease in recoil spring pressure hinders the downward movement. As the breechface slows its travel on the disconnector face, this friction is felt as drag. Polishing the channel the disconnector rides in and smoothing it’s face all helps to decrease that drag. The Marvel cut provides a lower angle of incidence which decreases the resistance as well.
    Last edited by TOTS; 02-25-2023 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    The situation isn't helped by Springfield Armory always under-springing their 9mm 1911s. I've seen both of these issues on a bunch of their Government models. Fortunately the 9mm Operator I own now doesn't have the disconnect drag, but I did install an 11# recoil spring right away. It has been a fantastic pistol since day one.
    I like undersprung guns because I like wimpy ammo, lol.

I really like my Prodigy(s).

Prodigy Range Report

I had the chance to have some proper range time today. My son and I ran about 300-400 rounds through this prodigy. Prodigy had a half dozen or so of failures to go into battery, which could be remedied by tapping the back of the slide. Also has a failure to extract the case which tore a chunk off the rim. Used a rod to push the case out from the muzzle. More concerning were failures that resulted in a live round being stuck in the chamber so much that we were unable to pull the slide back to clear the round. Had to use a dowel through the muzzle to break it loose a few times. We stopped using it for the day. This gun was clean and well lubed, in 50 degrees Fahrenheit sunny weather. Most of the rounds today were Magtech 124 gr with the rest being 147 gr, which were reloaded by my son. Both types of ammo had failures. All of the retrieved rounds including the ones that were stuck in the Prodigy worked perfectly in my 9mm Garrison, 92FS and an Sig X5. I am simply going to call Springfield CS tomorrow and arrange for them to fix it. I hope they can make it work.
    Last edited by Bernomad; 02-26-2023 at 06:07 PM.

Lots of early reports of undersize and rough chambers. I thought they were over that.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Lots of early reports of undersize and rough chambers. I thought they were over that.
    I got this used. It has a 04xxx serial number, which I assume is one of the early runs. And I realize as I’m cleaning it up before I return it, the rear sight came loose. For Pete’s sake.
    Last edited by Bernomad; 02-26-2023 at 06:44 PM.

User Tag List