Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loading .45 Colt with .45 ACP bullets?

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    A bullet with a crimp groove for revolvers would be an excellent idea. Something made with 45 AR in mind would do nicely.
    I load these for a 45 ACP revolver. I use a profile crimp die that crimps the case mouth into that shallow groove. They seem to work OK for that. The reason I use those and not the regular 45 ACP bullet is my revolver pulls the bullets and it locks up my cylinder. I don't shoot these in my 1911 but they would probably work there also. I've read that RCBS used a roll crimp die for 45 ACP in the 80's but I have no personal knowledge of that.

https://missouribullet.com/details.p...y=13&keywords=
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    45 ACP and 45 Colt use 452 diameter bullets. Cowboy action cast bullets will serve very nicely for your purpose. Review offerings by main companies and select a bullet known to feed through lever action rifles. Iron sights on these rifles may or may not adjust to hit poa with 200 grain bullets. The 45 Colt's large case capacity is best suited to powders that are not position sensitive. Bullseye was the original smokeless powder uses in ACP and Colt factory ammo. It excels in making standard loads. Red Dot and Win231 are also excellent. Red Dot meters poorly. These powders have a fast burn rate. Care must be taken not to double charge cases. 45 Colt brass is difficult to find. Factory ammo is stupidly expensive. You would have much less hassle buying a 357 Magnum rifle and reloading 38 Spl brass. Avoid buying a Rossi(Taurus)rifle. Quality is terrible. After people spend lots of money making them run, they like them.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    You would have much less hassle buying a 357 Magnum rifle and reloading 38 Spl brass.
    Thanks to a newly acquired Uberti 1885 in .45-70 and a .45-70 Sharps that will be here in a couple of months, the .45 Colt rifle idea has been kicked down the road. I’ve already got an older Marlin .357 so that’ll hold me for a while.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List