Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loading .45 Colt with .45 ACP bullets?

Loading .45 Colt with .45 ACP bullets?

Trying to do some planning and justifying. I’m debating a new lever action in .45 Colt or .357. .357 is the easy button since I already have multiple revolvers on hand but there’s something to be said about a .45 rifle.

Starting to load for my 1911s is on my list of things to get done and if I can use the “same” bullets in both for plinking loads, that’s another reason to get the .45. I know any “one load for both” would be a compromise so I’m ok with different loads for as long as I can use the same bullets for logistical reasons.

I think I saw another thread about going the other way so I’m pretty sure it’s not a stupid idea. I didn’t say it was a good idea, just not a stupid one.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Should be no problem to use 0.452” bullets in any modern firearm chambered for 45 Colt. You will have issues trying to use them in anything with a 0.458” bore, like the 458 Winchester Magnum or 45-70 Springfield.

Then there’s the practical side of it. IF you want to optimize performance, then the best handgun load won’t not be the best rifle load due to the difference in barrel lengths. For instance, 300-grain bullets are often better suited to 44 Mag rifles while 240-grain bullets may work best in handguns. Barrel length can affect powder choice, too, as rifles often do better with slower powders.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

For 45 Colt cowboy action loads and general purpose 45ACP loads, I've used a 200 grain LRNFP with success.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Thanks guys, that's good to know. They would mainly be shot at steel or indoors for fun, 25m max so hyper accuracy wouldn't be critical. Any hunting with either would see proper bullet selection and load development done.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I'm not much of a reloader but I have loaded some montana gold JHP for a .45 ACP in .45 colt cases and shot them out of a Rossi lever gun without any issues
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I have had some friends tell me they loaded some 230 and 200gr fmj projectiles intended for 45 ACP in 45LC cases and had the rounds jump the crimp and tie up the revolver. I am not sure if that is a function of no cannelure or a lack of crimp or both.

Site Supporter
    I don’t think it’s a stupid idea. I’ve loaded lead 230s in.45 Colt for a cowboy style revolver. I barely know what I’m doing but it worked!

I had some 230 gr RN lead bullets loaded in 45 Colt cases with most likely the standard load for me of 8.5 grs Unique and had significant vertical stringing at 2-300 yards. I may have never noticed if only shooting up close, but I stopped with the shorter bullets. Im guessing it was the large powder space and powder not igniting consistently. The general wisdom is Unique isnt supposed to be position sensitive, but Ive had trouble in a couple instances and dont use it in small amounts in larger cases unless I use a small tuft of dacron to keep the powder by the primer.

Other powders may do fine, Red Dot and some others are supposed to be better about very small charges with cast bullets if rifle cases. I think at this point if I were going to load lighter bullets for 45 Colt Id use Schofield cases.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I have had some friends tell me they loaded some 230 and 200gr fmj projectiles intended for 45 ACP in 45LC cases and had the rounds jump the crimp and tie up the revolver. I am not sure if that is a function of no cannelure or a lack of crimp or both.
    I'd imagine either a hot load or lack of crimp. I certainly haven't had any issues with.45ACP bullets loaded into .45 Colt casings and fed to a revolver. I seated the bullets deep and crimped the case mouth over where the bullet started to curve.

I would feel a little uneasy feeding those cartridges into a tubular magazine though, as with a lack of a proper cannelure there is a greater chance of the bullet getting pushed deeper into the case. Plus I don't recall the overall length of the cartridge, but I'm guessing it wasn't quite up to specs, so I imagine that would cause feeding issues with a lever action rifle.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    I'd imagine either a hot load or lack of crimp. I certainly haven't had any issues with.45ACP bullets loaded into .45 Colt casings and fed to a revolver. I seated the bullets deep and crimped the case mouth over where the bullet started to curve.

I would feel a little uneasy feeding those cartridges into a tubular magazine though, as with a lack of a proper cannelure there is a greater chance of the bullet getting pushed deeper into the case. Plus I don't recall the overall length of the cartridge, but I'm guessing it wasn't quite up to specs, so I imagine that would cause feeding issues with a lever action rifle.
    A bullet with a crimp groove for revolvers would be an excellent idea. Something made with 45 AR in mind would do nicely.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

User Tag List