Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glock Gen 3 G19 With Component and/or Alternative Upgrades

From my time as a subject in the commonwealth of Massachusetts, I’ve a large # of Glock factory 10 rd mags. They have consistently shown nosedives on last round in the magazine especially if the bullet is hollow point or a flat nose FMJ. Swapping the older odd shaped follower for a 9mm3 follower fixes the issue. Glad to see Glock finally made this change instead of expecting the user to figure it out themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Interesting report. I used 10 round G19 and G17 magazine on the range for many years post-ban and through many thousands of rounds I never saw any issue with them functioning. This would have been pretty much exclusively 115 and 124 grain standard pressure ammo.
    The concerns and issues seem to be with JHP cartridges primarily; round nose 115 gr and 124 gr ball seems to function fine (although I haven't tried 147 gr ball, and have resisted the urge, although in all fairness I'll get arounds to trying some of it).

I'll also will try some flat nose ball if I run across any; Squib308's comments are worth considering based on his experience with them. Squib, my current production Glock 10 rounders have the 9mm 3 followers, but I experienced significant issues with them as reported earlier in the thread with Federal 147 gr HST Tactical, so I'm doubting if the issues have been totally eradicated.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

May 8th 2023 Update

Thanks to Glock and p-f member Pangloss, I have 5 Gen5 current production G19 10 round magazines, and 2 Gen5 G17 10 round magazines, and I shot a complete match with these current production Gen5 10 round magazines last weekend; 3 stages with my Gen 3 G17 with the Gen 5 magazines with orange 2183 2 followers, and 3 stages with my Gen 3 G19 with Gen5 G19 10 round magazines also with the 2183 2 orange followers, and with Federal Premium Law Enforcement 147 gr HST cartridges.

Absolutely zero issues. Loading, cycling, firing, extraction, ejection, reloads were accomplished with zero hiccups.

While not a high round count match, in my experience with earlier Glock 10 round magazines, problems will crop up early and repeatedly.

At this point, although I'll continue testing, I'm comfortable in personally carrying my G19 and G17 with these Gen5 magazines. The G19 magazines have a spine code of 2274-02, the G17 magazines have no code numbers on the magazine spine, but an contemporary current production Gen 3/4 magazine (which I also tested a magazine worth in during the match, with zero problems) has a spine code of 2267-01, and has the previous black continuously angled chute follower marked "9mm3" And while I'll still have to test similarly with 115 and 124 gr JHP cartridges, in my experience that its the 147 gr cartridges that will be problematic, not so much 115 or 124 gr ones.

I think the safe default from this point for 10 round G17 and particularly for G19 10 round magazines will be to go the Gen5 route. It may be moot; a source in Glock thinks that all current production G17 and G19 10 round magazines are coming with the orange 2183 2 follower.

I've seen speculation that the tubes of the Gen5 magazines may be different from previous production, but other than the magazine catch insert notches I'm not seeing anything particularly different; the length, liners and feed lips all appear to be the same.

From left to right, the following images depict a Magpul current production 10 round G19 magazine, with a straight channel follower marked 9x19, an current production Glock G19 10 round magazine for Gen4 and earlier G19s, with a black straight channel follower marked 9mm3, with a magazine spine code of 2274-02, and a current production Gen5 G19 10 round magazine with and orange follower marked 2183 2, with an angled and stepped (to a flat platform) follower and a magazine spine code of 2274-02.

My conclusion is that it's all in the follower, and for a credible 10 round Glock G19 magazine, regardless of generation I recommend defaulting to the current Gen5 G19 magazine with the orange 2183 2 follower. While the Magpul magazine has tested flawlessly, I am preferential to the Glock magazine because with the full metal liner they have more heft and I believe are more durable, but in fairness I haven't experienced or come across any durability or functionality issues with the current production Magpul G19 10 round magazines

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

User Tag List