Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Smith and Wesson FPC

Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    In my defense, I did say "trifle".

When I unfolded it, which isn't a smooth process to the uninitiated, I thought it balanced forward. Now, I have to try one again just to see how off-bubble I am.
    I also thought that the ejection port side bolt release looks like it will give "M-1 thumb" a run for its money. Thinking about it, I'd like it a lot more if it fed from the side like a Sterling/Sten. Not because that's better, just because Sterlings and Stens look cool.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Because 16” barrels on long receiver gen 2.5 smgs would be kinda awkward.
    I would love to SBR a 76

Site Supporter

LOP

The OEM LOP is 14.5". Is there any way to shorten? Thanks!

Watched a few reviews and I really want one. I just made the M&P9 2.0 my new edc so the ability to share mags is a big plus for me. I also just love 9mm carbines.

Cool

Bought one at a gun show $609 plus sales tax
    Put a Romeo 5 red dot $128 on Amazon
    Really enjoying this gun
    Watch a video on field stripping for cleaning
    Folding carbine that shoots 9mm
    Nice addition to my college!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Fixed 14.5" LOP? WTF was S&W thinking with that?
    All my interest died after reading that. Get rid of that mag storage stock and give me an adjustable LOP and I’m in.

Well, I'm an idiot with no impulse control. Was at the LGS a couple of weeks ago on my birthday, and they had a competitive price on the FPC, so one followed me home.

Three weeks and three range trips later, it's found a new home. Here are my thoughts:

Pros:
    1. Cool concept, very compact, stows in a low-profile (provided) carry bag.
    2. Reasonable accuracy. I got 3" groups off a range-bag rest from a rickety bench at 100 yards, shooting A260 147gr JHP
    3. Can be folded with an optic mounted
    4. Really decent trigger
    5. Super easy to clean the barrel and chamber when folded

Cons:
    1. Can't be loaded and folded. Because the chamber is forward of the pivot point, the rifle can only be "stowed" with an "empty chamber." So, the practical manual of arms for going from folded to "in action" is:
    - Slightly retract the charging handle to unhook from MLOK
    - Unfold action
    - Work the charging handle
    - Disengage the push-button safety, aim, fire
    --This procedure, to me, makes the rifle a non-starter as anything but a range toy, OR a rifle intended to be in it's unfolded configuration anytime it needs to be available for serious use. Which, basically invalidates the whole point of a folding carbine in the first place
    2. While the unloaded rifle is compact and lightweight, when you put two loaded 23-round mags into the buttstock-mounted holders, it becomes VERY unbalanced, and pretty heavy.
    3. On the topic of the buttstock mounted mag-holders, the mags are released by a "see-saw" mechanism, which releases the magazine on the OPPOSITE side from where you push. Not intuitive at all
    4. Mine was NOT reliable with 147gr JHP - several FTEject, and when you get a double feed, it's a bear to clear.
    5. Related to that point, the rifle uses "pistol" sized slide lock/release levers to lock the bolt, and they're recessed in the frame, so, basically, impossible to activate. Locking the bolt back without an empty magazine is REALLY difficult.
    6. There's plenty of MLOK slots on the fore end, but almost none of those on the left side of the rail are useable, because anything added there (including a small, simple sling QD point) interferes with folding/locking the carbine (again, that's the point of the F pc, right?
    7. Because the pic rail ends forward of the pivot point, and the fact that the LOP is fixed (and LONG), I couldn't get BUIS to be any use at all. Again, not an issue on a range toy
    8. Disassembly for maintenance is complex, requires removal of strong non-captive springs, and pushing out non-captive pins while maintaining pressure against those springs - tough to do. Cleaning the bolt/bolt face is very difficult without a full disassembly, so maintenance is, overall a giant PITA

Hopefully this isn't taken as a complete bash of the FPC. If I was heavily invested in the M&P universe, and wanted a "play" PCC for competition, this might be OK. I'd just never put mags in the buttstock, and keep the rifle light, nimble and fairly well balanced. Planning on only running it unfolded would also open up the whole left side of the fore end for sling mounts/whatever else you need.

All in all, if you were in the above situation (MP user looking for a matching PCC), I'd probably just get the Response.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Well, I'm an idiot with no impulse control. Was at the LGS a couple of weeks ago on my birthday, and they had a competitive price on the FPC, so one followed me home.

Three weeks and three range trips later, it's found a new home. Here are my thoughts:

Pros:
    1. Cool concept, very compact, stows in a low-profile (provided) carry bag.
    2. Reasonable accuracy. I got 3" groups off a range-bag rest from a rickety bench at 100 yards, shooting A260 147gr JHP
    3. Can be folded with an optic mounted
    4. Really decent trigger
    5. Super easy to clean the barrel and chamber when folded

Cons:
    1. Can't be loaded and folded. Because the chamber is forward of the pivot point, the rifle can only be "stowed" with an "empty chamber." So, the practical manual of arms for going from folded to "in action" is:
    - Slightly retract the charging handle to unhook from MLOK
    - Unfold action
    - Work the charging handle
    - Disengage the push-button safety, aim, fire
    --This procedure, to me, makes the rifle a non-starter as anything but a range toy, OR a rifle intended to be in it's unfolded configuration anytime it needs to be available for serious use. Which, basically invalidates the whole point of a folding carbine in the first place
    2. While the unloaded rifle is compact and lightweight, when you put two loaded 23-round mags into the buttstock-mounted holders, it becomes VERY unbalanced, and pretty heavy.
    3. On the topic of the buttstock mounted mag-holders, the mags are released by a "see-saw" mechanism, which releases the magazine on the OPPOSITE side from where you push. Not intuitive at all
    4. Mine was NOT reliable with 147gr JHP - several FTEject, and when you get a double feed, it's a bear to clear.
    5. Related to that point, the rifle uses "pistol" sized slide lock/release levers to lock the bolt, and they're recessed in the frame, so, basically, impossible to activate. Locking the bolt back without an empty magazine is REALLY difficult.
    6. There's plenty of MLOK slots on the fore end, but almost none of those on the left side of the rail are useable, because anything added there (including a small, simple sling QD point) interferes with folding/locking the carbine (again, that's the point of the F pc, right?
    7. Because the pic rail ends forward of the pivot point, and the fact that the LOP is fixed (and LONG), I couldn't get BUIS to be any use at all. Again, not an issue on a range toy
    8. Disassembly for maintenance is complex, requires removal of strong non-captive springs, and pushing out non-captive pins while maintaining pressure against those springs - tough to do. Cleaning the bolt/bolt face is very difficult without a full disassembly, so maintenance is, overall a giant PITA

Hopefully this isn't taken as a complete bash of the FPC. If I was heavily invested in the M&P universe, and wanted a "play" PCC for competition, this might be OK. I'd just never put mags in the buttstock, and keep the rifle light, nimble and fairly well balanced. Planning on only running it unfolded would also open up the whole left side of the fore end for sling mounts/whatever else you need.

All in all, if you were in the above situation (MP user looking for a matching PCC), I'd probably just get the Response.
    I wanted to “dislike” this post for the disappointing news it contained 😀

I’m especially irritated about the Buttstock mag holders taking away LOP adjustability while also unbalancing the thing.
    I was going to go buy one of these this weekend, you just saved me some money. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I wanted to “dislike” this post for the disappointing news it contained 😀

I’m especially irritated about the Buttstock mag holders taking away LOP adjustability while also unbalancing the thing.
    I was going to go buy one of these this weekend, you just saved me some money. Thanks.
    Your humble servant, sir!

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Your humble servant, sir!
    Very informative.

Have you seen their new Bullpup shotgun?

User Tag List